NVIDIA Fermi: Architecture discussion

Uh? Whatever spin they put on it, Tesla's max power is 225W, and that is what we're discussing here. At it that's what I am talking about. If you're trying to say that in typical workloads Fermi won't draw 300W, then yes, obviously you're right.

The pdf says: "<225W".

I remember numbers below 200W being given by NV (190W afaik).

Not to add to the paranoia.. but ehm.. why.. after last night's (for me) talk .. does nvidia suddenly cover the PEG connectors with a sticker?

4252820721_43f3f3141e_o.jpg

The pdf says: "<225W".

I remember numbers below 200W being given by NV (190W afaik).

190W is the "typical" power draw, kind of like AMD's ACP on Opterons. As for the max power being <225W or 225W... it's supposed to be a limit anyway.

They're not stickers, they're a reflection in the case window of a lighted NVIDIA logo behind the camera.

(I presume you knew this, and are just being silly. Not that this thread needs any more silly).

This could be an explanation for the strange supply cables issue...

• Fit4future GPU Ready for most upcoming GPU generations by 12P sockets for possible connector changes, by six massive 12V rails for perfect load distribution & by ZERO LOAD Design for Hybrid Mode functions

• New: DXXI ready!
    Full support of most current >300W DX11 graphics cards due to minimum two 6+2P (8P) PCI-E connectors

http://www.enermax.co.uk/products/power-supply/revolution85.html

Currently there are no >300W DX11 cards on the market...
Could it be an hint of Fermi sporting two 8-pin connectors? ;)

This could be an explanation for the strange supply cables issue...

http://www.enermax.co.uk/products/power-supply/revolution85.html

Currently there are no >300W DX11 cards on the market...

what ? it's late did I just read that right.. TWO 8P connectors :
>300W DX11 graphics cards due to minimum two 6+2P (8P) PCI-E connectors

since when are there any >300W DX11 graphics cards to begin with. Even the gluttonous 5970 is under 300 at stock (and shoots frighteningly upwards when OCed) and thats 75W less than what dual 8Ps would offer. Wouldn't PCI-SIG have to sign off on the addition of a 2nd 8P PCIe power connector ? I just don't see any card using dual 8P connectors and (imo) it's a "More is Better" approach by Enermax to sell more (expensive/power hungry) PSUs.

IIRC it was <=225, not <225?
It's the same thing, "<=" or "<" mean 225watt maximum power draw.

Surprising no one is suspicious with their "max board power" though, as they actually have some boards above their official max board power.

Try GTS250 (150watt, but measured 25 to 50 watt over HD5850), GTX285 (204watt, but 20 watt higher than HD5870 188watt) and GTX295 (289watt, but 25 watt higher than HD5970 294watt).

Another small clip of the sled demo. Around 0:55 there's a collapsing bridge that the legit guys didn't get in their video.

http://www.tvtech.it/video/546/nvidia-fermi-al-ces/

I'm getting really tired/bored of all the it's fast/slow, hot/not nonsense. Time to cut the BS and see what the real deal is with this thing.

Yeah that bridge looked cool too, even though the quality of the video was kinda poor. The previous demo runner always crashed (the sled) so he never got that far.

since when are there any >300W DX11 graphics cards to begin with. Even the gluttonous 5970 is under 300 at stock (and shoots frighteningly upwards when OCed) and thats 75W less than what dual 8Ps would offer. Wouldn't PCI-SIG have to sign off on the addition of a 2nd 8P PCIe power connector ? I just don't see any card using dual 8P connectors and (imo) it's a "More is Better" approach by Enermax to sell more (expensive/power hungry) PSUs.

Since when there are cards with two 8 pin connectors, like the MSI HD5870 Lightning.

img0053n.jpg

If an humble HD5870 can draw more than 300W in extreme OC, then also Fermi could, even at stock. ;)

Ah, no? You see clearly that GF100 has only one 8-pin connector. But you have a 5870 card from msi which supports two 8-pin connectors. ;)
I hope that nvidia and amd will not go over 300 watt with their cards.

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2010/01/09/nvidia_talks_nv_surround_fermi_kinda
Little video of NV Surround Gaming. Today there should be more material about that.

Can somebody writes what andre fear is saying about fermi and Surround Gaming in the first part of the interview?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, no? You see clearly that GF100 has only one 8-pin connector. But you have a 5870 card from msi which supports two 8-pin connectors. ;)
I hope that nvidia and amd will not go over 300 watt with their cards.

It has only 1x 8 pin connector, but with way more cables than necessary in it. Could it be a way to disguise the need for power of the card?
Anyway, I hope that no one goes over that limit, too. ;)

It has only 1x 8 pin connector, but with way more cables than necessary in it. Could it be a way to disguise the need for power of the card?
Anyway, I hope that no one goes over that limit, too. ;)

You can put two 6pin connectors to one 8pin. Then you have a lot of cables, too. ;)
Look at the other pictures of GF100: Both have a normal 8pin cable.

Since when there are cards with two 8 pin connectors, like the MSI HD5870 Lightning.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2022/img0053n.jpg

If an humble HD5870 can draw more than 300W in extreme OC, then also Fermi could, even at stock. ;)

Has MSI released the clocks of this card? There seems to be quite a bit of potential, but I still haven't heard anything. I also wonder if they're using 5GT/s GDDR5, in which case there probably won't be much of a difference in bandwidth, or if they went for 6GT/s memory.

Has MSI released the clocks of this card? There seems to be quite a bit of potential, but I still haven't heard anything. I also wonder if they're using 5GT/s GDDR5, in which case there probably won't be much of a difference in bandwidth, or if they went for 6GT/s memory.

1Ghz core. It's an overclockers card so the twin 8-pin connectors are there for that reason. It doesn't mean it uses over 300 Watt.

Was this posted already?
There indeed will be "SLI -certified" cases now, too
Element V Nvidia Edition chassis also incorporated graphic card “air duct” system engineered by Thermaltake and Nvidia to provide added cooling for high-performance 3-way SLI or Quad SLI setup based on Nvidia’s next generation of enthusiast graphic card. The proprietary “air duct” system brings cool and fresh air directly from the outside of the chassis and accelerates it to graphic card’s intake to increase heat displacement and achieve optimal cooling efficiency. Without Nvidia SLI certified chassis, system powered by the next generation of high-performance graphic cards may not be able to operate at their highest setting due to inadequate cooling.
http://www.tweak.dk/nyheder2.php?id=22680

Back