NVIDIA Fermi: Architecture discussion

Thanks for the link. This bit is certainly interesting:

Performance numbers are hard to come by on the GeForce GF100, but we overheard someone saying that it is around 36% faster than ATI's Radeon HD 5870. When asked to confirm the number, NVIDIA could not comment. We also heard a rumored launch date of March 2nd, 2010 from various people at the show, so it looks like the graphics card is close to coming out.

Guys , the card received 6+8 pin power connectors , which means up to 300W consumption , if this thing were a castrated version (ie 448 cores) like Tesla 2070 , it would have 6+6 pins right ?

That could imply that this is actually a 512 cores card with high clocks !

Nice case BTW ... a Raven type setup, but much cleaner design (I have a P182, I like big black boxes). Pity Maingear feels the need to put their name on the front, kinda ruins it.

Guys , the card received 6+8 pin power connectors , which means up to 300W consumption , if this thing were a castrated version (ie 448 cores) like Tesla 2070 , it would have 6+6 pins right ?
Tesla C2070 requires either one 8-pins or two 6-pins.

Have to agree. Perhaps a hand-picked GF104?
hey , but shouldn't GF104 be like a mainstream part or something , (may be a card with 256 or 384 cores ) , it sounds weird to hear that the top high end part will have a different codename , since the lesser high ends tend to be just derivatives of the same card (with disabled cluster).

3D Vision Surround to work with GT200 and GF100 :
http://blogs.nvidia.com/ntersect/2010/01/surround-yourself-with-nvidia-3d-vision-technology.html

Nvidia demonstrates live Unigine DX11 benchmark with tessellation :
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/event/20100107_340953.html

Notice the card has 6+8 Pin power connectors !

Seems that the Unigine video has the tessellation active only for 1 second...
Check with the real deal (min 2:35)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tpT6CPeKsE
Not that much meaningful so...

hey , but shouldn't GF104 be like a mainstream part or something , (may be a card with 256 or 384 cores ) , it sounds weird to hear that the top high end part will have a different codename , since the lesser high ends tend to be just derivatives of the same card (with disabled cluster).

I think GF104 was hinted to be the codename of the X2 card i.e. GTX 395.

At least according to that supposed leak the 104 is faster.

Nvidia's aibs said 104 was "high end" which is a bit ambiguous. Typically "high end" is below "enthusiast" so who knows. Either way my guess is that the 14 pin beast is the faster config and likely dual gpu. That would imply a single gpu that would be 5-10% faster than 5870?

Of course we really know nothing. :)

That could imply that this is actually a 512 cores card with high clocks !
Maybe, maybe not. We don't know what the clocks are on Fermi. But I would be highly surprised if they aren't higher than Tesla. Higher clocks would bump power consumption up and could necessitate the inclusion of the 8 pin connector. Or Nvidia could have included it simply for versatility since many power supplies now come with an 8-pin connector. Or Nvidia could have included the extra power capability for their AIBs who like to put out factory overclocked editions since those cards would definitely consume more power than a stock card.

There are any number of reasons.

At least according to that supposed leak the 104 is faster.

Nvidia's aibs said 104 was "high end" which is a bit ambiguous. Typically "high end" is below "enthusiast" so who knows. Either way my guess is that the 14 pin beast is the faster config and likely dual gpu. That would imply a single gpu that would be 5-10% faster than 5870?

Of course we really know nothing. :)

We have no word on GF104's performance, only rumors of GF100. If GF104 is indeed the GTX 395 and the rumored GF100 performance numbers are true, GF104 should be quite a bit faster than the HD 5970 overall.

But yeah, this far nothing is confirmed yet.

Back