NVIDIA Fermi: Architecture discussion

So it's second quarter for the high-end. :oops:
AMD should have speed binned mature chips for "5890" by then don't you think?

So it's second quarter for the high-end. :oops:
AMD should have speed binned mature chips for "5890" by then don't you think?
5890 can be expected by June/July. Right.
Very interesting year this gonna be. Hope the line of new products won't stop.

Quote:
Nvidia plans to launch a 40nm GDDR5 memory-based Fermi-GF100 GPU in March, and will launch a GF104 version in the second quarter to target the high-end market with its GeForce GTX295/285/275/260, the sources pointed out.

If i was the digitimes editor, i would be double checking the writer's sources that they didnt turn GF100 revision A4 into GF104 somehow.

Folowing up previous chiphell thread, cfcnc #92:
NV对A3的良率还算满意,不比RV870差。TSMC已经收工了,元旦后就会开始量产A3,不会有A4了。
(NV of the A3 yield is regarded as satisfactory, unlike RV870 which is poor. TSMC closed down now, reopens on New Years Day to begin production of A3, unlikely there will be an A4 revision
Replied post #95 tomsmith:
有A4 很正常,量产后,新步进在CPU 常见,在GPU 也不少见. 何况A3 还不够满意
(To have A4 is normal, quantity postnatal(?), new stepping of CPU is common to see, GPU not unusual either. Much less A3 still is not satisactory)
The above 2 were before the digitimes article appeared.

So if above is to be believed appears likely they are going ahead with A3 for a Telsa release, and there is some possibly an A4 for the GeForce products.

Last edited by a moderator:
If i was the digitimes editor, i would be double checking the writer's sources that they didnt turn GF100 revision A4 into GF104 somehow.

So if above is to be believed appears likely they are going ahaead with A3 for a Telsa release, and there is some possibly an A4 for the GeForce products.

So it's a lottery? A3 is ready, A3 is not ready, A3 is ready...

Take a look at this. If you honestly believe they just buy cheap PCs and hope for the best you are being naive.

I don't know, other than being big enough to spec their own hardware for reasons like cost and power, that is exactly what they do. I don't know about Google first hand, but I do know several others that do do exactly that. One major finance related institution that I work with on occasion has clusters of 128 2S machines, specced by the cheapest they can get at the time that meet the RFQ.

When something has an error, they pull it off line, and slap another one in to take it's place. The removed one is tested, and if it is found bad a second time, it is literally thrown out, it isn't worth the time to debug/risk another error. I suspect Google is much the same.

Of course these companies invest a lot of time and money making sure things like network or CPUs don't become a bottleneck or how to build cheap storage systems that are still reliable.

Yes, and that is all in software. Have you ever seen a Google hardware RFQ for mobos? I have seen a couple, and they are not anything like you are hinting. The reqs tend to be power efficiency, cost, and minimum performance levels, in that order. Last I saw one, RAM was much more important than CPU.

-Charlie

So if above is to be believed appears likely they are going ahaead with A3 for a Telsa release, and there is some possibly an A4 for the GeForce products.

I know a bit about how Digitimes works, they tend to be a mouthpiece of the Taiwan semi industry more than an investigative journalism outfit. This isn't to say they are not good at what they do, but they don't rival a long term New York Times level digging. :)

Most of the time, their leaks are meant to send a message in the background from an annoyed party to the annoyer. If you know how to read their tea leaves, you can glean a lot of info. Magee is exceptionally good at this.

This is the long way of saying that I think the article posted on Digitimes is not based on them reading a forum post, they either asked a well connected AIB, or they were told directly by an AIB who was pissed off.

As for an A4, I really doubt they will do one. If it went in to the oven today, they will likely get it back in WW03 (counting the first full week as WW01). Give it a week for thumbs up/down, and then production, and you would be seriously hard pressed to make Q1 at all. That and I don't see what an A4 would buy them at this point, the problems seem to be more something you would need a full respin for.

-Charlie

I give up. Used text to speech to speak that A4 cpu/gpu line and doesn't make much sense to me.

Sorry - lost the last sentence in the tomsmith quote when i was cutting and pasting. Have added it back now.

What i think he is saying is that doing another tape to fine tune after releasing a product(postnatal = after the birth) is a regular occurence for CPUs and not unusual for GPUs either. The final sentence reiterates his original quote that A3 is not ideal and there would thus be motivation for another revision.

A further revision would have direct costs(i think $Xmillion) and time to market costs that have to be execeeded by the final benefits received, otherwise they wont bother.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for an A4, I really doubt they will do one. If it went in to the oven today, they will likely get it back in WW03 (counting the first full week as WW01). Give it a week for thumbs up/down, and then production, and you would be seriously hard pressed to make Q1 at all. That and I don't see what an A4 would buy them at this point, the problems seem to be more something you would need a full respin for.

-Charlie

If yield and clocks are really that problematic as you among others tend to indicate and if there's no new process option just around the corner, then Nvidia will have no choice but to go for A4. Firstly, to deliver a possible "Ultra" or 385 model to match a potential HD 5890 due mid-2010 at the latest. Lastly (and alternatively) to deliver on their redudancy strategy, which in contrast to AMD's relies on die revisions and process maturity to exploit a maximum number of fully functional dies from every wafer, whereas AMD has die-space sitting idle even in the fullest-featured SKUs.

If yield and clocks are really that problematic as you among others tend to indicate and if there's no new process option just around the corner, then Nvidia will have no choice but to go for A4. Firstly, to deliver a possible "Ultra" or 385 model to match a potential HD 5890 due mid-2010 at the latest. Lastly (and alternatively) to deliver on their redudancy strategy, which in contrast to AMD's relies on die revisions and process maturity to exploit a maximum number of fully functional dies from every wafer, whereas AMD has die-space sitting idle even in the fullest-featured SKUs.

I think (but am not sure) that he implies that if they would go for a respin it would be a full respin. In that case I'd guess that they'd be looking into a Bx whatever rather than "A4".

In any case I don't sense anything reliable yet in the channel whether A3 is good enough to start production or not.

I think (but am not sure) that he implies that if they would go for a respin it would be a full respin. In that case I'd guess that they'd be looking into a Bx whatever rather than "A4".

In any case I don't sense anything reliable yet in the channel whether A3 is good enough to start production or not.

Didn't want to suggest that myself due to ignorance on how feasible it would be but my initial thought when reading the Digitimes piece was that GF104 would essentially be the "refresh" of Fermi/GF100.

Of course, I'd be really interested if somebody could say whether it is feasible within the stated timeframe.

Didn't want to suggest that myself due to ignorance on how feasible it would be but my initial thought when reading the Digitimes piece was that GF104 would essentially be the "refresh" of Fermi/GF100.

Of course, I'd be really interested if somebody could say whether it is feasible within the stated timeframe.

GF104 is the mainstream/performance part like g84, g94.

Got any examples?

Here's what a Google server looks like - hey, it's a 2 socket box. Of all the companies you mention, Google has by far the cheapest server design philosophy, and none except Amazon (arguably, with ec2) are in the HPC business.

Maybe you should just admit already that you're basically blowing smoke :LOL:

When was Nocona a state of the art server - half a decade ago?

What makes you think their current servers use the same design.

DK

When was Nocona a state of the art server - half a decade ago?

What makes you think their current servers use the same design.

DK

I have no reason to think that at all. These are just the ones that are documented - as of April 2009, mind you.

The relevant point however is that these are DP Xeons and not desktop CPUs. Do you think that is different now?

Back