NVIDIA Fermi: Architecture discussion

Heh, not really. Every forum (this one included) has 3 or 4 "extremists" who revel in mocking Nvidia. Most people just want more info.
I'm not talking about the extremists, the ones on the fence or the more casual PC gamers.

I think you are overestimating the intention behind it. Obviously this is not going to stop the mass press of a hardware launch.

It was a teaser. Not a launch. Don't give it more credit than due.
Well, I am not the one giving this teaser more credit than its due. (I'm arguing against it)

I'm not talking about the extremists, the ones on the fence or the more casual PC gamers.

Well, I am not the one giving this teaser more credit than its due. (I'm arguing against it)

But you are reading way too far into it as well if you really think that Nvidia believes this some kind of all out counter to AMD's launch.

Its timing is not a coincidence. But it is only a teaser to keep people interested in and talking about Fermi. And from what I have seen on the web. It has succeeded at that.

There really is nothing more to see here. Well other than the original picture. :p

That is of course your opinion. But there is alot of things people can learn from the picture that were previously unknown to most before.

Power requirements, cooling, and size, an idea of how far the hardware has come since prototype builds. There are those out there who care more about that than the political issues that some people seem intent on harping on.

Big difference, one was revealing what was in place, the other is a PR stunt.
From a customer POV, it doesn't make a difference: you couldn't buy it either.

These violent reactions against paper launches or product pre-announcements are really strange and seem to be unique to the GPU world.

They didn't happen when Apple pre-announced the iPhone 6 month before release. They don't happen when Intel reveals the architecture of their next gen CPU's months in advance. Car manufacturers do it all the time. Can anyone point to examples of industries or products with similar reactions? I can't...

For the tech enthusiast, it feeds the desire to know about the next big thing. (Think about the time you wouldn't have wasted in this thread without that september introduction.) For consumers, it provides information that something new is coming. Journalists get something to write about. For the company, it's a way to stay in the news and prevent a potential customer from switching to the competitor. (So what?)

I don't see what's the big deal. In fact, I hope all players will start doing early disclosures.

BTW: How is this different from Intel disclosing some Larrabee architectural features more than a year in advance? There was no outrage about that. Is there some uncanny valley of disclosure time-to-release?

That is of course your opinion. But there is alot of things people can learn from the picture that were previously unknown to most before.

Power requirements, cooling, and size, an idea of how far the hardware has come since prototype builds. There are those out there who care more about that than the political issues that some people seem intent on harping on.

From what I'm seeing from the pic is its just a non working card with a working fan on it. If you look at the motherboard above it, it is running and has a AMD HD5XXX card on it and the cables coming from it go to the monitor so its the AMD card running the DX 11 benchmark. This makes me believe Nvidia doesn't have a working card yet and is trying to make people believe they do (share holders).

From what I'm seeing from the pic is its just a non working card with a working fan on it. If you look at the motherboard above it, it is running and has a AMD HD5XXX card on it and the cables coming from it go to the monitor so its the AMD card running the DX 11 benchmark. This makes me believe Nvidia doesn't have a working card yet and is trying to make people believe they do (share holders).

Ah, the only card you can see in the board above it is a Audigy2 card, where are you seeing this mysterious ATI card at?

After zooming in, the card behind doesn't look like ANY ATI card I've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Nvidia really wanted to release a nice teaser pic, why this? A very low resolution image on Facebook? That's the best they can do? On a test bench with a mess of wires, the monitor image cut off, need I go on?

Why not take a proper photo? To me it looks beyond amateurish, bordering on pathetic. How can there be any positive buzz from this, all it does is create more doubt and conspiracy theories. Post a proper teaser or not at all. Or better yet, give us all a firm date when we can buy the Fermi derivatives, now THAT is what people really want.

Ah, the only card you can see in the board above it is a Audigy2 card, where are you seeing this mysterious ATI card at?

After zooming in, the card behind doesn't look like ANY ATI card I've seen.
It looks like a HD5XXX heatsink to me with out the red trim on it that can be removed. The cover has a concave in it and the HD5XXX stock heatsinks have a concave to it at the end of the cover and its the only heatsink cover I know of thats like that.

Yeah, but when they showed the Juniper wafer, they had live cards running a few feet away, and multiple ones at that. By the time they had showed that wafer, developers had been seeded for a long time.

Big difference, one was revealing what was in place, the other is a PR stunt.

-Charlie

I agree partially, because AMD is later vindicated by fast launches and fast availability of DX11 developments- something only possible if they said the truth from the start.

I just disagree on looking at nVidia from such a murky predisposition. Yes we know they lie/cheat/steal/cultivate hiveminds, but I'd still look at it case-by-case instead of the company as a whole.

BTW surprises are only delightful (bad or good) because they are surprising. From a human POV ATI's HD5k wasn't that exciting because the surprises aren't there. People wanted one in place of the one that Evergreen didn't bring (at least not now yet- let's see what drivers do) and nVidia acted on this opportunity poorly to say the least.

Nothing should have been said IMHO. No "Fermi" slides, no info disclosure, no responses to Charlie (well not really here :D), no jabs at Intel, no touting- as of now. Just gauge- will the info we have now stop people from grabbing HD5850s (some regions do have them)? HD5700s? If you don't have an answer, don't act like you have one. They even gave ATI points to attack on... seriously.

If Nvidia really wanted to release a nice teaser pic, why this? A very low resolution image on Facebook? That's the best they can do? On a test bench with a mess of wires, the monitor image cut off, need I go on?

Why not take a proper photo? To me it looks beyond amateurish, bordering on pathetic. How can there be any positive buzz from this, all it does is create more doubt and conspiracy theories. Post a proper teaser or not at all. Or better yet, give us all a firm date when we can buy the Fermi derivatives, now THAT is what people really want.

Their intent was to get people to talk about it. Uhhh ahhh, look how clever Nvidia is. :rolleyes:

It looks like a HD5XXX heatsink to me with out the red trim on it that can be removed. The cover has a concave in it and the HD5XXX stock heatsinks have a concave to it at the end of the cover and its the only heatsink cover I know of thats like that.
The stock heatsink for the HD5xxx series has a red fan.

Nothing should have been said IMHO. No "Fermi" slides, no info disclosure, no responses to Charlie (well not really here :D), no jabs at Intel, no touting- as of now. Just gauge- will the info we have now stop people from grabbing HD5850s (some regions do have them)? HD5700s? If you don't have an answer, don't act like you have one. They even gave ATI points to attack on... seriously.

Now where can I undersign that one?

From a customer POV, it doesn't make a difference: you couldn't buy it either.
Correct. But from a tech perspective, there is one working silicon v/s one fake board.
These violent reactions against paper launches or product pre-announcements are really strange and seem to be unique to the GPU world.
Possibly.
They didn't happen when Apple pre-announced the iPhone 6 month before release. They don't happen when Intel reveals the architecture of their next gen CPU's months in advance. Car manufacturers do it all the time. Can anyone point to examples of industries or products with similar reactions? I can't...

Apple announced the time of launch right down to the hour and the price

For the tech enthusiast, it feeds the desire to know about the next big thing. (Think about the time you wouldn't have wasted in this thread without that september introduction.) For consumers, it provides information that something new is coming. Journalists get something to write about. For the company, it's a way to stay in the news and prevent a potential customer from switching to the competitor. (So what?)

I don't see what's the big deal. In fact, I hope all players will start doing early disclosures.

Expecting people to hold off without telling them when/what they are launching is not good.
BTW: How is this different from Intel disclosing some Larrabee architectural features more than a year in advance? There was no outrage about that. Is there some uncanny valley of disclosure time-to-release?

Well, with the amount of spin that is put out, it is easy to get irritated at these powerpoint slides. And LRB and fermi are both powerpoint slides at this point that are supposed to be, if you believe the spin doctors, the greatest invention after publishing.

Sure looks like it's printed Audigy2 on that chip. :smile:

Bah, Details. I was looking at the "alledged" heatsink fan in the back from the wonderful zoom in. I'm not certain but it looks an awful alot like my old Nvidia Zalman. Same color ((minus all the dust I havent used this thing in years)), and the green spinning in the middle. The Zalman actually has a little green LED too.

Note: I am certainly not an expert at dissecting pictures or photographs. this is just the first I thing I thought of when seeing it. It could be anything obviously.

oldzalman.jpg

audigyplusfan.jpg

Back