NVIDIA Fermi: Architecture discussion

Yeah, they like to wast half a year just for fun. Next we might hear that since Fermi also has to compete with LRB, it won't matter if it doesn't show up before 2011.

Intel is awefully late on releasing a LRB related whitepaper. There's nothing like whitepaper/factsheet/powerpoint slides catfights :devilish:

See “Fermi” in Action
Come see a live demonstration of the next generation CUDA™ GPU computing architecture, codenamed “Fermi”. The Fermi-based Tesla™ GPUs are mass market parallel processors and fuel the HPC industry’s transition to parallel processing. Compared to the latest quad-core CPUs, the Fermi-based Tesla GPUs deliver equivalent performance at 1/20th the power consumption and 1/10th the cost.
I wonder if this will be an actual functional GT300 board or if it will be just a simulation.

chavvdarrr, they need the card back. :)

"...Fermi-based Tesla GPUs...."

I am confused, isnt Telsa different than the actual Fermi/GT300.
And at the cost comparison, 1/10=20$ of a 200$ I7, or a 100$ of a I7EX?

I really cant see any A2 cards going for less than 5000$ each to very select customers, and the first batches of A3 for 3500$ Quadros... then maybe a trickle of uber enthusiast cards at 800$ but will have a supply constrained premium of at least 25% more for 1000$ desktop card... Then into July for the 600$ everybody card?:???:

That German site also states:

""For single-precision calculations, the cards double the performance to reach approximately 1260 GFlops at a clock speed of the 512 cores of 1230 MHz. In comparison, a traditional rival of the AMD Radeon HD 5870 achieves a processing power of 2.7 TFlops (SP) or 544 GFlops (DP)"

Also interesting, from the nvidia page:

"Up to 3GB and 6GB (respectively) on-board GDDR5 memory *"
* With ECC enabled, user available memory will be 2.625GB for a C2050 and to 5.25GB for a C2070

So why would you 'loose' 447 MB of RAM on the 3GB and 894 MB of RAM on the 6GB version when ECC is enabled?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back