NVIDIA Fermi: Architecture discussion

Wow, no one could have possibly seen that coming! :oops:

See? It didn't happen like Charlie said it would, nVidia was all set to launch when they said they were going to this year until this unexpected development. So even though it looks like Charlie's projections were spot on, he wasn't right.

Yeah, that's about what I expect to be hearing soon... ;)

Nice one Mr. Demerjian, I'd say you called this one just right. :yes:

From that link:

the fact that ATI has sold out of its Radeon HD 5870 actually works in Nvidia’s favour.

Am not sure what the facts are (he does not specify) behind this conclusion. Can someone clarify?

Maybe he means that buyers that are not going to wait for a restock are buying the highest-performing product they can find at the time.
I suppose people buying a system as a gift for the holidays that aren't tech savvy aren't going to wait when they want to get their shopping done.

Sale goes to the product in stock by default.

Yeah pretty much. It's the OEMs that are going to drive what gets sold this Christmas. No stock = no sale.
5800 seems to be plenty in stock at Dell, so I guess its a BIG win for ATI/AMD.

Unless ofcourse there is yet another excuse of how holiday season sales does not matter. :LOL:

Heh, well everybody sees their own silver lining :) No stock isn't a problem because Dell is buying of all of em. No doubt they're gonna sell all they make. Just gotta make them.

2 to 6 weeks for respin, no? More like 5-6 weeks acording to silent_guy.
1-2 weeks to verify everything is ok. Min
6-7 weeks from fab to market... IF supposed "parked wafers" can be used

Uhm... there is no way Fermi ships in January if it needs an A3. Absolutely no way, unless they tape-out A3 only very shortly after having taped-out A2 and much before having received the latter back from the fab. Which is extremely ridiculous and would indicate a massive screw-up. Most likely Fudo is just (once again) clueless and trying to rationalize how Fermi could have launched in late November/early December when that was never on the cards. Late December probably was, but I can easily believe that slipped to January (and of course they might still need an A3, just Fudo isn't the right person to determine that).

http://www.golem.de/0911/71087.html
Nvidia Deutschland bekräftigte auf Anfrage von Golem.de, dass Fermi-GPUs noch 2009 erscheinen sollen. Für welche Serien, erklärte das Unternehmen dabei ebenfalls nicht.

Nach Informationen aus der Hardwarebranche, die Golem.de vorliegen, sollen zuerst zwei Geforce-Karten unmittelbar vor Weihnachten vorgestellt werden.

Translated:
Nvidia Germany says to Golem.de, that Fermi will be released in 2009. Two Geforce cards before Christmas rumored.

Back