Just got meself a new HDD!

I recently picked up an Hitachi 1TB drive as well. 7K1000.B, same drive as in this review.

Using it as a media storage drive. Very fast. Even faster than my WD 640GB Caviar Blue O.S. drive. Transferring large amounts of media between these drives (100's of GB) is surprisingly quick.

I picked the drive up at MicroCenter for only $80. Looks like they still have it for that price too. Would highly recommend.

Yeah the Intel drives are still best of breed. The newer Samsungs are only slightly better than the one mine is based off. Better garbage collection between useage. It's still generally faster than a traditional HDD even when full, but for the price, generally faster isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm going to wait until mature 6.0 Gb SATA chipsets are out and the next generation (or increment) of SSDs are out before experimenting again. Probably sometime next year.

Regards,
SB

If you look at the reviews over at anandtech the new OCZ series ones are pretty good.

I have only used a Jmicron in my car computer, but it has been fine there so far. The intel one is screaming fast even though like I said my laptop is choking it to some extent (depends on the situation). You really ought to try buying an intel one next time. I mean if you want to spend the money you may as well get something that works well.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=9

The samsungs are some of the worst ones out now since the jmicron drives disappeared.
Both Samsung and Intel have a lot to gain from TRIM. Samsung’s performances goes from utterly unacceptable to reasonable (but not price justified) with TRIM. Intel’s performance goes from class-leading to more, er, class-leading.

If you look at the reviews over at anandtech the new OCZ series ones are pretty good.

I have only used a Jmicron in my car computer, but it has been fine there so far. The intel one is screaming fast even though like I said my laptop is choking it to some extent (depends on the situation). You really ought to try buying an intel one next time. I mean if you want to spend the money you may as well get something that works well.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=9

The samsungs are some of the worst ones out now since the jmicron drives disappeared.

Yeah in general useage the Samsung isn't bad, but there are situations that cause it stall similar to the Jmicron although not nearly as bad. Annoying as heck when it happens, and I can reproduce it rather easily.

But considering it was 200 USD cheaper than the cheapest Indilinx of comparable capacity it's liveable, unlike the Jmicron which just made day to day computing absolute hell. I put my Jmicron drive in my laptop, and I'm semi-regretting it, but since it doesn't do as much drive IO as my desktop it's not as annoying as it was.

Right now, I definitely would not recommend anything but the Intel and possibly the Indilinx (questionable) to anyone.

Regards,
SB

Back