Why SSAA and DX10 cen't work together In HD58X0 ?

Doom 3 was a major offender for shader aliasing. I'd love to see how that looks with SSAA if anyone can capture some screens.

Here is Doom 3 Ultra settings 1600x1200 default CCC settings:

and same but with SSAA 8x (AF application controlled)

More, more... 2x & 4x all flavours, incl. MSAA, CFAA, ED... *drool* :LOL:

Too busy right now and tomorrow I'm on a 550 miles trip, so day after tomorrow then :smile:!
Also give me list of games you want to compare and I will try my best!

:) I'm too old to waste time tweaking settings anymore!

Hear, hear... :) I'm getting to the age where I prefer things to just work. No adjustments. No tweaking. Have a hard enough time trying to find time to actually play a game, tweaking just removes all time for game play. :)

Regards,
SB

More, more... 2x & 4x all flavours, incl. MSAA, CFAA, ED...

God I didn't know there are so many combinations of AA on ATi!

I've did only selected ones, still took me 2h of grabbing and uploading, so enjoy!

Doom 3 1600x1200 Ultra Settings (AF set to use application setting except one pic) :

1. noAA

2. 2xMSAA

3. 2xSSAA

4. 4xMSAA

5. 4xNTMSAA

6. 4xWTMSAA

To be continued (stupid limit to 6 pics ...)

Indeed, the specular/shader anti-aliasing is a must for this engine. I'll snap a copy of Q4 and try few runs with the hacked SSAA on my HD4890. :D

It's just one bloody click in a 3rd party tweaking tool. I hope you still have your own teeth and drive with a car with a stick sheeesh ;) :LOL:

umm no, main car unfortunately now is a an auto bus for the tribe. I will treat myself to a real car next year.

Damn 5850's keep getting delayed, so I can't play with the AA myself :(

If I understand it well, the causes of shader aliasing are rounding errors during arithmetic operations and insufficient precision of textur filtering method. DX10 and DX10.1 allows to use higher filtering precision, which should decrease level of aliasing.

There are also some post-processing methods eliminating shader/specular aliasing - I'm not sure, but CoJ:BiB should use some sort of this technique.

Shader aliasing is generally not due to rounding errors or texture filtering. Shader aliasing is due to the function that the shader is evaluating is undersampled. Texture filtering only ensures that the value coming out of the texture unit is not aliased, but when the shader starts doing math on it anything can happen, and today that's the major source of aliasing in games. The most common case is specular lighting, in particular on normal maps. Even if the normal map itself is properly filtered, as soon as you throw that normal into a normalize() function you've already messed up all antialiased properties of it. Diffuse lighting generally does not cause much problems, but specular lighting can be very aliased, and the problem gets worse the higher specular exponent you use. DirectX doesn't really provide any particular tools to deal with this problem, it's simply up to the developer to find ways around it, either by manually supersampling in the shader (for instance: http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=3D&ID=64) or come up with less aliasing prone equations. For an end user, it always helps to increase the screen resolution since that effectively increases the sampling rate.

Back