New monitor

Grall how are the blacks ?

I'm trying to decide on a 1920x1200 24 inch model with good blacks for the center of my eyeinfinty set up.

I can't possibly judge the blacks in any kind of objective manner that would apply to you and your personal standards of what is good blacks or not, particulary since I have the 22" version and you want 24... :)

You should check it out yourself, but I'm really not dissatisfied with the image quality. Even despite the noticeable bleed on the far left side (which is greater than any other LCD I've ever sat in front of). During actual use, the IQ is quite good. I suppose one might be irritated by the bleed if one has a solid black desktop, but I don't like that so it's of no concern to me. While gaming or just general windows use (with a non-black background) I've not noticed any bleeding at all actually.

I suppose a more expensive monitor might have better control of the backlight, but for the relatively small amount of money I paid for this unit I'm not unhappy at all. Even the viewing angle is quite decent for TN panel; my old Dell 2004 19" had terrible angles, so a lot has happened on this front in just a few years.

Oh, well I suppose you could take a gamble and just buy one and see how it works out for you! It's not that expensive so if you don't like it for whatever reason you could just return it or keep it around as a backup screen or something...

It's a good gaming monitor if that's what you like to do, pixel response time is IMO excellent, colors also good, brightness is great. Actually it's very, very bright. Probably why they state such a ridiculous contrast figure. It doesn't get hot either, so power draw is most likely rather modest. My other LCDs have all become noticeably warmer.

Both 120hz and 3D are non-factors for me. Cost, power consumption, and panel type are the only things that really matter when I'm choosing a monitor to purchase. Pixel response is "good enough" for the majority of panels now, that it's not that much of a factor anymore either.

Regards,
SB

I'm stubborn enough to not get a LCD monitor until 120Hz is cheap, common and found on a decent monitor with not much backlight bleeding.

I don't remember which vendor, but IIRC one of them will switch to making only 120Hz monitors - that would be simple enough, drop all the 60Hz-only stuff and only use 120Hz-able chips.

It shouldn't eliminate tearing, but if you vsync you eliminate tearing and can sync at higher fps I suppose.

So, I went ahead and purchased the monitor I linked in my original post. So far, I've gotta say, it looks outstanding. I have a dual monitor setup now, it's side by side with an older Sony LCD, and the difference between the two is literally night and day. The Samsung is crisper, with a contrast ratio of 70,000 to 1, and it's just....brighter and more vibrant. Games which utilize a broad color scheme, like WoW, look incredible. Unfortunately, Nvidia doesn't support Dualview, so I'm unable to expand an image from my primary monitor to the secondary monitor. I am, however, able to access my desktop on the secondary monitor while I've an application (game) running in my primary monitor, which is the primary reason I wanted a second one in the first place. I love the ability to play games at 1920x1080. I'm yet to see how my 360 looks on it, though. Maybe I'll do that later tonight.

Back