Witcher 2

Beat that fight on normal right after posting my complaints upstream. Just had to roll and kite a lot, get a few swipes in on one and then run around. I guess you have to dump 6 talent points into the Witcher tree before the other trees unlock, so I was stuck using the aard sign. Which at level 1 doesn't stun or knockback very well. When I beat that fight I think I took out the Mountain early on, the shield soldier was the last I killed. The combat still has a somewhat jerky, unresponsive feel to it (turn away from an enemy while holding down the W key and he stands there for a second or two getting attacked).

I turned motion blur off almost right away too. Can't stand not being able to pan my view around without everything becoming a blurry streak. Don't care for the UI for inventory at all either.

Yeah, the unresponsive feel is probably my biggest complaint. I also encountered the "random input block" bug described in the Readme file during some long fight. It's very annoying.

By the way, there are quick keys for signs described in the Readme file, which could be useful. 5 for Aard, 6 for Yrden, 7 for Igni, 8 for Quen, and 9 for Axii.

I didn't notice too much motion blur though. I guess it's because my frame rate is always pretty high (the motion blur effect seems to be visible only when frame rate is too low). I use GTX 460 SLI and high quality setting. I tried ultra setting but it's too jerky for me.

I didn't notice too much motion blur though. I guess it's because my frame rate is always pretty high (the motion blur effect seems to be visible only when frame rate is too low). I use GTX 460 SLI and high quality setting. I tried ultra setting but it's too jerky for me.

What kind of a CPU are you running and at what resolution too? I am trying to get an idea being a graphics whore of whether I should even start up the game until at least a few patches get released and the nvidia drivers get released and I get a new pair of video cards because my monitor is 2560 x 1600 because if I can't play at ultra then I would be rather miffed.

Big patch is coming early next week with performance optimizations, memory leaks fixes, key binding fixes, invert mouse and so on.
Also their servers will be reconfigured not to cause registration / DLC download issues.

I get a feeling they needed another 3 months to polish this game but Atari came hard on them ... Oh well, modern world business practises :rolleyes:

Hi, thanks Lightman but yes I've tried all that. I tried everything I saw in the long thread about the launcher issues in steam forum (as well as GoG and plenty other but it's the same information flying around). I'm on 1680x1050 native; with configurator I set game res to 1280x1024 and low setting just in case, nothing. I reduce desktop res also and tried to no avail either.

DX and VC updated manually by me on redist folder, all exes with administrative privileges (and just now with XP compatibility). I posted my specs as a good practice in these cases but I know it's nothing to do with that. Drivers are latest nVidia Beta (275.27). I've checked game cache several times and redownloaded the whole thing (P O S comes to mind now :devilish:) tonight but nothing has changed.

Can't send any screen because the problem is that neither launcher or game get to open any window; the process runs for less than a second and disappears. Activate.exe doesn't run by itself either. Registration exe does work but on last step I always get 'Connection error. Try again later'. At least I can see my CD Key there.

Couple of things left to try now that I'm entering desperation mode :???: :
disabling my second monitor (I guy got it to work in a similar fashion)
reverting to latest WHQL drivers and try again

I'm not feeling lucky with this solutions anyway...

Well i think i have a solution to your problem. Had the same thing with my polish box copy of the witcher. It looks like the game is not able to download and apply day 0 patch therefore you cannot actually register.

If you have english, french, italian, german or spanish version of the game follow this link http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/Patch0/Patcher_EFIGS.exe
If you have czech version use this link http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/Patch0/Patcher_CZ.exe
If you have hungarian version use this link http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/Patch0/Patcher_HU.exe

Download and apply the patch. Register and voila! You are ready to play!

All above info can be found here in polish http://www.pl.thewitcher.com/community/entry/20/. Try to delete the ".pl" part of the url maybe you will be redirected to the english version of this page.

Hope this helps!

PS. I am running TW2 almost maxed out at 1680x1050 (disabled only ubersampling) using GTX 460 OC from Gigabyte with Phenom II 940. Everything runs smoothly so i am very pleased. Oh and im using those 275.27 beta drivers.

PSS. Dam you guys are getting ripped off. TW2 on Steam costs 50€ while boxed version in Poland costs 79PLN (20€) and comes with option to install eng ver. (not sure if its subs only or entire eng voice track).

Last edited by a moderator:
So on a 16:10 monitor you get little black bars on the top and bottom? Not a huge deal but that is so slack!

What kind of a CPU are you running and at what resolution too? I am trying to get an idea being a graphics whore of whether I should even start up the game until at least a few patches get released and the nvidia drivers get released and I get a new pair of video cards because my monitor is 2560 x 1600 because if I can't play at ultra then I would be rather miffed.

My CPU is a Core i7 920. GPU are two GeForce GTX 460 1GB, factory OCed to 715MHz. I run at 1920x1200.
I think if you want to run at 2560x1600 @ ultra setting you probably need a video card with more than 1GB memory, such as a GTX 570/580, and maybe even SLI.
The SLI scaling of this game seems to be quite well, at least with current beta driver.

My CPU is a Core i7 920. GPU are two GeForce GTX 460 1GB, factory OCed to 715MHz. I run at 1920x1200.
I think if you want to run at 2560x1600 @ ultra setting you probably need a video card with more than 1GB memory, such as a GTX 570/580, and maybe even SLI.
The SLI scaling of this game seems to be quite well, at least with current beta driver.

Your PC is more powerful than mine at the moment. I have an i7 930 and 2 x 285 OC in SLI. So far other than Crysis I have been able to run every game at 2560 x 1600 maxed out well with 4x AA I just don't see the point of maxing out the AA when at that resolution the difference is really negligible to me at least with higher AA. I am wondering if the game is more GPU intensive than CPU intensive. I keep reading that with more cores the game performs better. 990X here I come :devilish:

I'm using a stock i7-920 with a stock 580, and it usually runs smooth but sometimes drops into the 30fps range briefly, that's at 1920x1080 all settings maxed but no uber sampling. I think at 2560x1600 it will still often run smooth, but it will dip into low double digits sometimes. Might need some newer cards sli'd for that res. EDIT: Anyone running twin 580's with this game?

I got much further along and I'm really digging this game. Very pretty, so much so that I just removed Dragon Age 2 and Fable 3 from my steam wishlist, I don't think I could handle the visual downgrade of those games anymore. I'm getting the hang of combat, I'm using a 360 gamepad so it's probably a bit easier for me compared to keyboard+mouse folks but I can now jump around fast now slashing opponents and using signs and items. As someone else mentioned that really is key, you need to use signs and items while attacking to be successful in combat. Your character really is a total wimp that can't handle any damage, he's just really fast and has spells and items to back him up. So you have to keep moving and use all the tools in your bag. I took out a whole nest of bandits that way, very satisfying :)

I finished the game yesterday - great stuff, I'd give it a solid 90%. I didn't suffer from as many bugs or performance problems as some of you guys, but I also tend to prefer a less set character and more dialogue options, as well as Bioware-like party-based combat. So this is high praise from me.

The main negatives for me are some weak design/polish in places (igni sign is too weak, quen sign is too strong, cannot replace mutagens, dice poker is single round, etc.), pretty bad paraphrasing (first choice: 'very funny' turns into 'fuck you' and it's not the only time that happens. At least DA2 had tone indicators) and a weak ending.

Ending spoiler for both TW2 and DA2:
In both cases, you're forced into something much bigger than you are, you fail to resolve it in time to prevent utter chaos & disaster, and you flee while the future of the world remains uncertain and some key questions remain open. You might have had some petty revenge along the way, but no real success.

This is a very good way to advance the story of the world, but both games (like most RPGs) are much more about the hero than the world. I don't think it's possible to pull off an ending like that in a video game if the story is seen through the eyes of a single character. I don't think it even really helps to build excitement for the sequel. Mind you, I am excited about the sequel anyway! :)

As for the courtyard fight: I just tried it again on Hard, and the trick is to use both the Quen and the Axii signs while running a lot. The Axii sign is extremely useful here as it allows you to do a lot of damage and distract/separate foes (sadly it becomes less interesting later in the game even with upgrades IMO - the casting time is just too long). Don't waste your vigor on parrying or any other sign.

The not so hot:
Off to a somewhat messy start (Steam version here), with the English language conversation and subtitles showing up as DLC along with the troll thing, but giving write errors when actually trying to download them. Not sure why they'd show up in the first place as the game was English from the start. But there's this regedit fix to make them disappear, so fine. A day later, Polish conversation and subtitles somehow show up. At least I can actually download those. Not that I want them.

Never played the 1st Witcher episode, but the game doesn't seem to mind and launches right into Geralt telling some history to this guy I don't know, and I get to click all sorts of conversation options, none of which make any sense to me. But that's ok.

Had one or 2 crashes to desktop so far, as well as the occasional quirkiness. Most curious was Luisa La Valette turning invisible halfway during the conversation after her rescue.

Otherwise:
It's really a pretty good romp so far, graphics are nice, performance too (everything turned on except ubersampling, and even that is usable on this Sandy Bridge/SSD/GTX580 3GB setup), voiceovers and writing pretty decent really, having a good time overall..

I just started and musty say it's looking amazing :)

I was just looking for 5 minutes at how NCP's were operating huge ballista.
They winded up catapult, loaded stone and finally shoot. I think 5 people were involved, each of them doing some useful work, in right order. Beatiful sight!

I will try to post some screenes in a sec. ;)

Back