A reasonable facsimile of RE5 capable on Wii?

Apart from the searing contrast and approximation of HDR (how the brightnes of sunlight fades slowly)...looks pretty much like RE4...there was even one stage in RE with wooden plank houses over water iirc..

Other than the overbright style, it actually looks worse than RE4. Lower polygons, low rez textures and the water looks like crap.

Some of you need to go back to RE4 for perspective. Great looking game but that looks better, higher resolution textures, better lighting and less aliasing. Worse art work though (and maybe animation) IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly you did not see this picture: http://nintendopower.com/images/NP247_RE.jpg

Or any film of Cavia's latest effort. They would definitely outsource it, their recent comments all but confirmed this. Chop 'ti you Drop? There are light years technologically between the two, not to even mention the art assets.

I did see that picture, but I also believe there's a vast difference between a rail-shooter and RE4.

Again, what does a 'reasonable facsimile' even mean? I assume we're speaking purely graphically -- because RE5's gameplay depends on the coop.

Some of you need to go back to RE4 for perspective. Great looking game but that looks better, higher resolution textures, better lighting and less aliasing. Worse art work though (and maybe animation) IMO.

Agreed, also the HDR shown here on the Wii is a first afaik, it looks well implemented.

TheWretched said:
The worst offender were the props in that video. The bowl of tomatoes or whatever after the cutscene... ugh^^

Very true, this is unfortunately a developer choice & not a hw limitation. MGS2:SOL had much more detailed props by comparison.

gongo said:
Apart from the searing contrast and approximation of HDR (how the brightnes of sunlight fades slowly)...looks pretty much like RE4...there was even one stage in RE with wooden plank houses over water iirc..

Memory serves you correctly, the wooden planks over the muddy water were by comparison done at a much lower texture resolution, as Teasy has pointed out. It clearly looks better than RE4. Another trailer showing off SA & other impressive locales from RE:2 & CV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5s7H5M-o1M also here http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-09-resident-evil/56516

obonicus said:
I did see that picture, but I also believe there's a vast difference between a rail-shooter and RE4. Again, what does a 'reasonable facsimile' even mean? I assume we're speaking purely graphically -- because RE5's gameplay depends on the coop.

I was referring purely to visuals, the gameplay of RE5 itself could be duplicated rather easily. Reasonable meaning given what we know that the Wii is utilizing essentially the same tech. innards as the GC with a faster processor, (a tweaked Gekko) increased memory and bandwidth, fillrate, etc. The possibility of graphically approaching some semblance of next generation capabilities such as HDR, normal mapping, even widescale usage of bumpmaps, etc. Rather than the GC-esque, at times even subpar GC software the Wii has been plagued with over its 3-year existence, when it is easily capable of more.

gongo said:
How about we let go the dreams that Wii is nothing more than a cross between GC and Xbox....i would think some things just cannot be done outside the available bits and bytes...there are gameplay videos of said game and it looks like RE4 on rails...

This has been discussed to death here & on other tech. forums, but I would hardly quantify it as cross, nor a GC 1.5. This is oversimplification, but no need to beat a dead horse.

RudeCurve said:
Other than the overbright style, it actually looks worse than RE4. Lower polygons, low rez textures and the water looks like crap.

Lenscrafters can have your glasses ready in about an hour. Water is clearly not the Wii's weakness either, and that "Overbright style" is called HDR iirc.

Lenscrafters can have your glasses ready in about an hour. Water is clearly not the Wii's weakness either, and that "Overbright style" is called HDR iirc.

If I need glasses then you need to stop looking at downscaled 640x480 videos claiming to be better than RE4. :LOL:

The water looks ugly, doesn't compare to RE4's various water environments. I don't care if the Wii can theoretically do better water in this game. I want to SEE it.

If I need glasses then you need to stop looking at downscaled 640x480 videos claiming to be better than RE4. :LOL:

The water looks ugly, doesn't compare to RE4's various water environments. I don't care if the Wii can theoretically do better water in this game. I want to SEE it.

Did you look at the aforementioned trailer in my previous post? No. The lighting is far superior, the geometry, the physics, texture resolution, environmental interactivity, etc. Did you read the updated impressions? Of course not. We've only seen really two examples of water, both from the same area. Though water or no water, this game surpasses RE4.( both technically & visually) With perhaps some exceptions regarding some character models. The water even in RE4 was dark, as well as muddy. The physics & visual appeal does best RE:DC from what little we've seen, but this is hardly the criteria for judging a game's technical & visual prowess.

Looks pretty ok to be honest, and nothing more, and it seemed so slow (like if the camera moved in water) in that video too, I wonder what the framerate is. And no it does not look better than RE4.

Well... theoretically it can always look better than RE4 (it could even look better on the GC), as it is an "on-rails" shooter, where every camera angle is predetermined. For now, I stay unimpressed. It does look good, but no way miles better than RE4.

Looks pretty ok to be honest, and nothing more, and it seemed so slow (like if the camera moved in water) in that video too, I wonder what the framerate is. And no it does not look better than RE4.

I prefer the look of the setting/art style of RE4 as well, but this game looks better technically.

I prefer the look of the setting/art style of RE4 as well, but this game looks better technically.

This was truly my only point, technically & imo many areas artistically as well. (locations)

TheWretched said:
Well... theoretically it can always look better than RE4 (it could even look better on the GC), as it is an "on-rails" shooter, where every camera angle is predetermined. For now, I stay unimpressed. It does look good, but no way miles better than RE4

I do not believe that the predetermined camera angles are of any consequence in regards to what the Wii could render in a limited "free look" (primarily straight ahead, up, etc.) traditional RE4 type of control scheme. Overall visually it is not "miles" ahead of RE4. But the HDR, global illumination, shadowing, & more optimized use of the Havok's physics engine places it well beyond RE4 technically.

Are we all forgetting RE4's very limited color pallette? Or how about its many low-res textures? Or non-existent ligting? (the flames & particle effects however were superbly done) Sure the brown-scale/grey-scale color scheme fit many areas very well, but the entire game needed more variety. (daytime actually looks like it now, as it did in RE5) I am an RE4 afficionado, but I will not say the game was without its technical flaws. Don't let nostalgia play tricks on you. I played RE4 again for the thousandth time before even writing this thread.

Shompola said:

Pretty ok? I've already conceeded that some model types are not on par with RE4's. Conversely some locales surpass anything shown in RE4. It's on rails Shompola, the perceived framerate, or camera speed increases/decreases depending upon the situation presented to the player.

I'll be honest, the water does look pretty freakin' bad. I saw footage of the boss fight and it was very ugly. I mean, it looks better than the flat water in Dead Space: Extraction, but it still looks very ugly.

The thing that impressed me from that video was the nice looking HDR lighting.Other then that, the game is graphically underwhelming to say the least.For an on-rails shooter, you would think the graphics would look much better then that.

Pretty ok? I've already conceeded that some model types are not on par with RE4's. Conversely some locales surpass anything shown in RE4. It's on rails Shompola, the perceived framerate, or camera speed increases/decreases depending upon the situation presented to the player.

I dont know what else you want the rest to say? Aside from the HDR blooming... RE:DC looks virtually like RE4 with a little less polish and a little less detail on the models. If based on the above DC videos, that is supposed to be a reasonable facsimile of RE5 Wii, then the same could be said for RE5 GC...

This makes me so sad.

Seriously.

I'm even on his side for the most part.

High Dynamic Range Lighting (HDR). All four words together explain what this does. You just say HDR lighting and it makes people think it's solely a way of doing prettier light. It's actually a combination of bright brights and dark darks. Dynamic Range. It's dynamic with a lotta range.

Seriously.

I'm even on his side for the most part.

High Dynamic Range Lighting (HDR). All four words together explain what this does. You just say HDR lighting and it makes people think it's solely a way of doing prettier light. It's actually a combination of bright brights and dark darks. Dynamic Range. It's dynamic with a lotta range.

HDR is just that, with minimal detail being lost within that range of extreme light & dark. Don't assume my ignorance because he characterized it as simply "overbright," which is technically incorrect/incomplete. I was being facetious, argh which was lost apparently. What excites me is that no other developer afaik is even attempting this on the Wii, let alone global illumination as well as pushing the Havok engine. I remember when LOZ:TP launched there were jokes that the GC could actually do bloom lighting. (a simple shader effect) HVS is accomplishing some allright normal mapping, which B3D's DRS has already surpassed. Check my post history, it's regarding mostly last gen tech. & the beginning of this gen, but grad school tends to usurp time. Now do I need a global illumination tech. lesson as well? Or shall you simply trust my knowledge on that subject?

Back