A reasonable facsimile of RE5 capable on Wii?

Li Mu Bai

Regular
Going by the recent Resident Evil DC trailers, screenshots, & this picture in particular from NP:

http://nintendopower.com/images/NP247_RE.jpg

(pic courtesy of Dascu)

Cavia seems to be pushing the Wii's hw potential, so much so in fact that Capcom themselves are impressed. They somewhat retracted their original statement that RE5 is simply impossible on the Wii. (of course, some aspects are not)

Cavia's Kentaro Noguchi:

"By adding in technology like HDR, global illumination, shadow/lighting and some filters, we feel that we were able to achieve some graphics that are the best you will see on the Wii."

In addition to also using Havok's phyics engine. I thought certain that MH:3's environmental backgrounds were visually the best yet done on the Wii, (SMG running second) though Cavia might surpass them due to the visuals being static & not streaming in their nature per se. Of course this does not detract from MH:3's visual appeal, simply the technical method involved. Though I doubt RE would ever need to load environments nearly as large in scale.

I personally would not want a RE:5 port, a RE:4.5 or even a RE:5 sidestory devved by Cavia would be much more desirable. Thoughts? An excerpt from G4's Comic Con's interview with RE DC's producer Masachika Kawata:

"I think it's perfectly possible to create great horror presentation on the Wii. In fact, unfortunately, we're not able to show it off just yet, but very shortly we're hoping to show off a en stage from a new scenario and I think when fans get a look at that they will really be asking themselves, is this really on the Wii? Actually, we went to Nintendo's offices earlier on this month to show them this new stage and they were really, really impressed by it and impressed by what we were able to get out of the Wii."

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/6...cles-Will-Make-You-Rethink-Wiis-Graphics.html Actual video interview here

So is the Wii technically proficient enough to create a reasonable facsimile IYO? No screens showcased any EMBM, or normal mapping, though I am curious as to exactly what filters he was referring to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished RE5 two nights ago on the 360, and it's probably the most gorgeous game I've played all year. Some of the later levels are simply stunning! If they can pull of anything even remotely resembling it on the Wii, then I tip my hat to them. My guess though would be "no chance".

Given the lower resolution, it would be perfectly possible.

Resident Evil 4 on GC for example ran at 512*240 resolution (bordered).
Though not all effects would be possible, I imagine them not being that far apart

Given the lower resolution, it would be perfectly possible.

No.

Wii is basically a Xbox in general terms of power..could Xbox do RE5 at SD? No chance.

The original famous quote from Capcom was "Wii wouldn't even be able to render the title screen of RE5" or something to that effect :LOL:

No.

Wii is basically a Xbox in general terms of power..could Xbox do RE5 at SD? No chance.

The original famous quote from Capcom was "Wii wouldn't even be able to render the title screen of RE5" or something to that effect :LOL:
I personally didn't see anything in gameplay that was much above RE4.
Thus cutting things down they should have a nice game.

The game had mostly pre-baked lighting, so I doubt it is that bad to make it work without some of the more fancy fx.

The gameplay might not be much different from RE4, but the scale of things is just so much more.

The game is designed (gameplaywise) so that you get overrun by enemies in certain areas (shanty town for instance). This, plus the extremely detailed maps and their size make it impossible to be just scaled down to bite size for the Wii.

Also the high destructability of the environments should be a problem. When the executioner rampages through the town, he virtually destroys everything.

They'd have to basically recreate the whole game around the Wii's limitations, at that point you might as well create a new and exclusive Wii RE than some ill conceived port.

Gameplay-wise the game isn't all that different from RE4, but the map sizes are defintiely bigger. One level in particular is on this giant lake where you drive a boat around to different areas...I'd imagine this would be very problematic unless that had some good streaming tech. As someone else mentioned there can also be quite a few zombies active in one area at the same time...though I suppose they could pull a Dead Rising and just scale that back.

Gameplay-wise the game isn't all that different from RE4, but the map sizes are defintiely bigger. One level in particular is on this giant lake where you drive a boat around to different areas...I'd imagine this would be very problematic unless that had some good streaming tech. As someone else mentioned there can also be quite a few zombies active in one area at the same time...though I suppose they could pull a Dead Rising and just scale that back.

With twice the RAM, I don't think streaming would be too big a deal. The environments in RE5 could be chopped up some to keep them manageable on the Wii. RE4 is still an excellent looking game despite it's age. With the extra RAM and fillrate, we could see some better lighting and possibly real time shadows like in Umbrella Chronicles 2 with a bit better geometry and shaders. A Wii developed RE5 has the capacity to look excellent, especially when the bar was set by RE4 on a weaker system.

What does reasonable facsimile mean? I suspect that we will see RE5 on Wii in some form before the gen is over, Capcom's just that port-happy. It might be a Chop 'til you Drop-type effort, though.

What does reasonable facsimile mean? I suspect that we will see RE5 on Wii in some form before the gen is over, Capcom's just that port-happy. It might be a Chop 'til you Drop-type effort, though.

Clearly you did not see this picture: http://nintendopower.com/images/NP247_RE.jpg

Or any film of Cavia's latest effort. They would definitely outsource it, their recent comments all but confirmed this. Chop 'ti you Drop? There are light years technologically between the two, not to even mention the art assets.

Wouldn't be the first time a RE game was outsourced. CV (all versions) were developed by Nextech and Cavia has done other work on the series as well (Gun Survivor 4).

Naturally, despite the fact that DSC is great looking for a Wii game, it won't be RE5 caliber visually.

Like you, I'd prefer a brand new game in the series that's not an on-rails shooter. Imagine the capabilities of the engine in a more traditional RE setting with smaller environments.

If they do that, I'm game.

How about we let go the dreams that Wii is nothing more than a cross between GC and Xbox....i would think some things just cannot be done outside the available bits and bytes...there are gameplay videos of said game and it looks like RE4 on rails...

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/1432.../videos/residentdark_trl_gameplay2_90309.html

While I agree that those particular videos aren't particularly anything beyond RE4 that picture definitely is. Also I haven't seen any HDR in any released videos, though regarding the new area I'm taking Kawata at his word. The one where he claims are showcasing this technology I assume. It is a new scenario placing Krauser & Leon working as partners in South America, which is where the screen originates from. You can see a brief glimpse of it here amidst the numerous FMVs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqMT3...layer_embedded

What can, & cannot be done has yet to be clearly defined. I have yet to see any developer actually push the console, HDR & normal maps at a sustainable framerate in fully realized game world was considered beyond the bits & bytes originally so........

How about we let go the dreams that Wii is nothing more than a cross between GC and Xbox....i would think some things just cannot be done outside the available bits and bytes...there are gameplay videos of said game and it looks like RE4 on rails...

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/1432.../videos/residentdark_trl_gameplay2_90309.html

Wii is effectively a faster GC with over three times the memory and bandwidth. So its normal to expect it to be able to produce a RE game that's significantly better looking then RE4. How close that can come to RE5 is anyone's guess. Though personally I really don't care about that. As long as they use Wii's hardware to improve the engine I'd be happy. What I'd be more interested in is whether its a better game then RE5 (I really didn't enjoy RE5 like I enjoyed RE4).

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what would be awesome?

A RE game on Wii that was RE4-style. Period. They can call it RE 5: The Nocturnal Missions, RE4 II: Electric Boogaloo, or RE6, or whatever, but just not another damned rail shooter. It was nice to see Umbrella Chronicles succeed, but now everyone's terrified of doing a decent "shoot bad guys with guns" game that isn't on rails.

That magazine scan looks amazing. HDR lighting and all. Too good to be true. I suspect those are bull-shots.

That magazine scan looks amazing. HDR lighting and all. Too good to be true. I suspect those are bull-shots.

According to Noguchi & Kawata, they're not. They are stating that this particular section of the game (South America) truly showcases this tech. This whole thread is based upon ther claims & that pic. So I sincerely hope that scan is legitimate.

Back