Is it safe to say that, so far, the PS2 has the most amount of games running @ 60fps?

PSman

Banned
..especially when compare to other consoles? I mean the PS2 has so many games running at 60fps that it is difficult to list all of them...

Jak series
Ratchet&Clank series
Sly Cooper series
Devil May Cry series
Onimusha series
God of War series
Ace Combat series
Gran Turismo series
Tekken series
Zone of the Ender series
Soul Calibur 3
Virtua Fighter 4
Metal Gear Solid 2
Castlevania: LOI

Just a few on top of my head. I'm sure there are a lot more.. I am I right here:?:.. Just want to be sure. Correct me if I'm wrong but the GC and Xbox doesn't have anywhere near the amount of games running @ 60fps, same thing with the current-gen consoles.

Last-gen I think there where more "60"fps games on PS2. Though many at unstable framerate. This gen it seems more on par between PS3 and 360. If anything for sure is that 360 has more games that runs closer to stable 30fps than PS3.

However I believe Wii has by far the most amount of 60 fps games and with pretty much solid framerate. Dunno how it was with GC last-gen.

In absolute numbers it probably holds the crown, in terms of the percentage of its library the Dreamcast is likely the leader. I assume we're tlaking about 60fps 3D titles only here of course.

I'd be hesitant to count all of the titles in your post as "60fps" titles, the GOW games dropped frames all over the place and tore like a bitch, and the same can be said of certain segments of MGS2 (end of the tanker level), though that was restricted to very specific parts so I can let it slide.

In fact most early PS2 titles aimed for 60fps following on from the Dreamcast, and it wasn't until the XBOX launch that 30fps games became the standard. Framerates on the whole were certainly much better last time around than this generation, that's for sure.

Its just because these days more & more devs tend to follow the "Push the limits" punchline rather than push the limits for 60FPS gameplay.x
And yea Dreamcast would be the console with most percentage of its game running at 60FPS, had it been a success we'd have more than half of console games aiming for 60FPS...just like most early PS2 games aimed for a 60FPS gameplay, blame Xbox for standardizing 30FPS.

, the GOW games dropped frames all over the place and tore like a bitch
Still it was high enough most of the time & succeeded in making people believe its a true 60FPS game.

Last edited by a moderator:
offtopic: gran turismo 4, zone of the enders 2, to name two titles, are perfect examples of what exclusive titles tailored for one platform can be.

I'm assuming we're talking about 3D consoles here, because didn't the vast majority of the 16-bit console games run at 60fps?

Sad, isn't it? The first game that had me scratching my head was Genji on the PS3 that ran at 30Hz while its predecessor on the PS2 ran at a consistent (no dips) 60Hz.

Onimusha 3 has probably the most consistent frame rate out of the fighter genre. Very underrated game graphically.

And yea Dreamcast would be the console with most percentage of its game running at 60FPS, had it been a success we'd have more than half of console games aiming for 60FPS

I don't know about that. I'd imagine that DC developers would've had to sacrifice the frame rate to 30Hz to keep up with the other more capable consoles. The DC's best looking game, Shenmue and its sequel, were 30Hz games.

At some point, some developers gave up on the idea to push for 60Hz altogether. Capcom's R&D 4 (responsible for the RE games from 96-2005) aimed for a 60Hz CODE: Veronica but the final product was locked at 30. Then the aim was for RE4 to be locked at 60 (when it was on the PS2, then turned into DMC). That wasn't the case either.

In fact, even in the GC games that used pre-rendered backgrounds, the frame rate was 30Hz just to push as many polys on the characters and have a prettier game.

Then there was RE5. They touted a 60Hz game initially but no dice.

Yes this generation has been a disataster WRT framerate, the next gen should be a lot better though as I dont think they'll be aiming for more pixels than 1920x1080@4xaa

The DC had lots of 60hz games thanks in part to its arcade heritage. That's still one thing there arcades are good at, even if now they're mostly just using mid range PC parts.

At least back then (Saturn and Dreamcast era), they actually tried for 60fps. Even as bad as a port DC Sega Rally 2 was, it had code for smoother frame rate. 2D era was even more honest, most don't even use frame skipping.

This gen started with '24 fps with motion blur is all you ever going to need'. So now we get choppy and blurry games.

Did the DC version of SEGA Rally even run at 60fps. Pretty sure it was 30 fps actually. Save for it's many arcade games (which were often ports of rather dated arcade machines such as Dynamite Deka or Virtua Cop) most DC games ran at 30 fps tops as well. As for for last gen games and their stunning frame rate achievements: there are a ton of PS2 games with incredibly crappy frame rates as well.

When I think of SNES games, I don't think of 60fps or endless buttery smoothness for that matter. Lots of games on old systems slow down too.

I'm reckoning that especially if the next-gen goes proper 3D, that should do wonders for framerates in games. ;) Though it will be interesting to see if motion controls have a positive affect as well: if it brings more of a focus to controls versus graphics, that could mean devs want to work on reducing input lag as much as possible for these games.

I actually don't mind games running at 30fps, as long as they don't drop frames or tear like hell and have little input lag.

Also, back in the 16bit and earlier days, they didn't drop frames, the consoles simply stopped displaying stuff, which looked MUCH worse.

I mean, it is nice to see games with high framerates, like CoD4 or Gran Turismo, but I don't actually need it to play it. As long as the framerate is stable.

And saying the DC had the most 60fps games percentage wise is... a bad comparison... it had the fewest games, by FAR, so the percentage is skewed anyway.

The most 60fps games has the PC of course... depending on the hardware, you can run ANY game (as long as it isn't hardlocked at other frequencies) at 60fps.

I actually don't mind games running at 30fps, as long as they don't drop frames or tear like hell and have little input lag.

Also, back in the 16bit and earlier days, they didn't drop frames, the consoles simply stopped displaying stuff, which looked MUCH worse.

They dropped frames. o_O Play MMX1 some time, on the Armadillo stages. Slowdown kicks in when you're on the last mobile platform.

Back