• Radeon 5850

Votes: 26 17.9%
  • Actually I'll wait for Nvidias gtx300 series

Votes: 29 20.0%
  • Other (aka where's my option)

Votes: 18 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If gt300 isnt worth the wait the 5870 will be a lot cheaper than it will be near launch, look at how much the 4870 came down in price

Nvidia will be just fine even with a 3-month lag if GT300 is worth the wait. On the other hand if they pull a R600, well we know how that went.....

So if they pull a GPU with a similar Performance delta as GT200 to RV770 but this time instead of a week head start, 3 months behind is ok? Interesting proposition there trinibwoy.

I'm getting some whiskey. It's a great year to be 18. :p

Just got a super cheap 4870 that replaces my R600 and does more than a splendid job. I'll upgrade in Q3/Q4 10 instead, along with a i5/Turion X4 notebook.

I'll buy a single 5870 to replace my pair of 4850's and enjoy the power savings along with the extra AA capacity.

And then when I find more cash, I'll pick up a second one :D

So if they pull a GPU with a similar Performance delta as GT200 to RV770 but this time instead of a week head start, 3 months behind is ok? Interesting proposition there trinibwoy.

It all depends on price and actual availability, I suppose. If you can get an Nvidia with the same performance for the same price or a slight premium, and they're widely distributed, then it's at least ok.

5870 probably, but 5850 possible if it's indeed 399 USD.

Mostly for the idle power savings and partially for the rumored Dx11 titles this holiday season.

For the first time ever, Nvidia isn't even a part of the equation for me.

Regards,
SB

Wow so you translate "worth the wait" into "similar performance delta as GT200 to RV770"? Where did you pull that out from? Who in their right mind would consider that to be worth the wait? :LOL:

I think I'll go for a 5870.First indications suggest a big performance leap but I'm more interested in the new rumored features its supposed to bring.

Wow so you translate "worth the wait" into "similar performance delta as GT200 to RV770"? Where did you pull that out from? Who in their right mind would consider that to be worth the wait? :LOL:

lol well, I would seriously doubt NV has something to make RV870 look like R600. That to me would be the only thing worth the wait besides some incremental price drops. :smile:
Then again, I will be one shocked fellow if they did that. :devilish:

I took his comment to mean if the nVidia card ended up being a R600, it obviously wouldn't have been worth the wait.

I waited on the R600 before going SLI 8800GTXs. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I've heard rumors that nvidia was delinquent on the GeForce 5 series because of its work on the XBOX. ATI was able to capitalize on this w/ the 9700. Does this mean nVidia has a big load of console contracts coming up?

I've heard rumors that nvidia was delinquent on the GeForce 5 series because of its work on the XBOX. ATI was able to capitalize on this w/ the 9700. Does this mean nVidia has a big load of console contracts coming up?
That sounds like an excuse that fan boys used more than anything. Wasn't the xbox gpu just a cut down geforce 3?
I think it means more that they are having problems delivering on this new process than anything. It is a big chip and they don't have anything thats 40nm on the market yet(at least I cant find anything).

I'm likely to skip this generation because my 4870 is going nicely for the moment.

Maybe the refresh (will it be 32nm?) or when a decent DX11 game comes out (I'm talking proper use of tessellation here).

See as this: Are there any games out there needing the power of a X2? Crysis, the still most demanding game right now, seems to run nicely with a 5870 if the rumors are true. All depending on the CF scores, buying one 5870 right now and if more performance is needed, then just buy a second one next year seems the best option.

Thats a good point, in the past you could always at least point to Crysis as a beast of a game that hadn't been nearly tamed by any GPU...

I dont think 5870 is there yet, to the point of "domination" but we're getting closer. I guess there's ARMA II now as well, though thats kind of low budget. But yeah, once Crysis is tamed, there truly wont be much gaming reason for new GPU's..which is a change in the landscape.

Back