AMD Radeon E4690 Embedded Graphics Chip

Fusion

Newcomer
Hi,

I have several questions regarding this chip:

- Is it sold to end users ?

- Could this chip be used to build a PC graphics card based on it ?

- Aren't there any technical documentation about it ?
like the docs provided for the Geode processors

Any info is much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
This almost certainly is not available to end users. This is very targeted to OEM embedded designs - arcade / poker / pachinko machines, video-based signs, and possibly even some newer car in-dash displays. These are the types of products where a company works directly with ATI in designing the part into their system. You don't just buy the module and plug it in to a system.

I'm sure that in theory you could use the card in a PC since it's the same underlying chip that's used but there are 2 problems to actually using it. First, the chip+ram module comes raw - there's no PCIe slot connector since it's meant to be soldered to a mainboard. You'd have to get a module adapter, which probably exists for a dev kit but will be even harder to find than the raw module. The second is drivers. The pci id on this chip probably doesn't show up in the standard catalyst driver packages, so you'll have to be hacking INF files to get a working system.

You could always try finding some contact info at ATI and seeing if you can get a human to respond, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You might be able to find a 3rd party that is making a dev kit around the chip, similar to this freescale/fujitsu (Fujitsu makes GPUs?) board that's available. The problem is that companies like this are completely hit or miss. Some will return phone calls from individuals and gladly sell a single board. Others will pretend you don't exist unless it looks like you are going to be buying 100's of boards.

Fusion: It's based on RV730 (HD46xx series), isn't it?

Based on quick look, it's clearly RV730 based, in fact it looks like standard RV730 laptop chip with memory set on the flipchip package instead of mxm module (I'd assume this configuration is used on some laptops too

A more practical solution to use in a PC would probably be an MXM module (meant for laptops). They're not easy to find, but they're a standard interface you can find adapters for and normal drivers should work with them. This place seems to be selling some:
http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Store_13.html

Thanks alot for the Great help :)

I am looking for graphics chips to build a complete graphics card as a Graduation Project!

@ Rufus, I totally agree with you, my idea is to design a graphics card based on this chip since it's the only chip that "might" be sold to users even as samples, because I contacted ATI to provide me with some desktop graphics chips like the RV770 but they refused for legal reasons.

btw, I've recently known that I should sign an NDA to be able to get this chip and it's documentations !
+ thanks for the last link, I contacted them and asked for the HD 3650.

@ no-X, yes it is.

@ Davros, lol thanks, I've been in contact with them for nearly two months trying to get whatever I can get, but nothing till now!

@ Kaotik, thanks for participating, this chip is nearly two months old and hasn't been used in any appilication since the release date AFAIK.

Any more tips for a student in the last year of Electronics and looking forward to make a Graphics cards as a graduation project ? :rolleyes:

Oh, I meant the RV770 Chip and its documentations not the Card itself :)

Documentations are confidential and NDA assignment is required to get them!

Back