Two years LTTP: Help me catch up on essential PS3 experiences

PARANOiA

Veteran
So I finally picked up a PS3. I'm looking to slowly catch up on all of the games I've missed that haven't had a 360 version, where I've no doubt already grabbed it if it interested me. Hopefully B3D can assist.

I'm particularly looking for recommendations of games that would be "essential" to experiencing just what makes gives the PS3 its own identity. As an example, so far I've picked up:

Retail:

• Killzone 2 (how could I not after 5 years of hype?)
  • Valkyria Chronicles (supposedly beautiful and epic, though I'll have to wait for my order to arrive)
PSN:

• Wipeout HD
  • Flower
Other:

• Planet Earth Blu Ray
Pretty much all of my time has gone to Wipeout so far since 2097 used to be my favourite game of all time :) On my "on the horizon" list are the Resistances if I can pick them up for cheap, and possibly Uncharted due to its prettines.

I'm very tempted to get Tekken 5, though I already had it on PSP, and Tekken 6 is around the corner. Plus, I have an arcade stick for my 360 and I'm not really interested in picking up a second.

So what do you recommend for a newbie PS3 gamer to help me catch up on many lost years?

Retail
Uncharted
Infamous
MGS4
LittleBigPlanet

PSN
Pixel Junk Eden
Pixel Junk Monsters
SuperStardust HD
Everyday Shooter
Shatter
The Last Guy

It's hard for me not to list some of my favorites as those are what make the experience for me.

The Fury add-on for wipeout is pretty cool, if you haven't picked that up yet.

For arcade sticks, if you have the chops, I believe that there are guides online for dual-modding a 360 stick into a dual stick using the cthulhu board.

Paranoia, you didn't say what kind of games you like. So I could only refer you to this GAF thread for a start:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371859

Now that I figured out how to play MLB 2009, I'd add it to the list of recommended games in the above thread. It's truly jaw dropping.

Since I'm very curious about the PS Eye technology, I'd also try "Eye of Judgment" or "Operation: Creature Feature" (Find some way to check them out before you buy. They are *not* for everyone).

Other games to check out are:
* MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
* Gran Turismo Prologue (then again GT5 may be coming soon)

Special mentions include:
* Heavenly Sword
* Lair demo (free on PSN, if you can find it)

These are somewhat flawed games but certain aspects stood out so much that I had to mention them. HS's visual, acting and mo-cap are memorable. Personally, I have yet to find another game that delivers the emotion so powerfully. I don't know if Heavy Rain could overshadow nAo's and DeanoC's work. I also liked the SIXAXIS archery (although some hated it *a lot*).

If I remember correctly, the Lair demo is the giant sea serpent fight. You can get a glimpse of what went wrong and right (!) with the infamous game.

INFAMOUS ! You need to get Infamous and MGS4 !
and , yes, Uncharted is still my most played game, get that too !

I'll say, space out the games , coz each one is a different experience and if you overlap these you might not find them that great.

EDIT: Wait a minute! There was a demo for LAIR :oops: ! I always wanted to try it out, but never could. Where's the demo? Which PSN?

Keep an eye open for Demon's Souls. People used to import that from Hong Kong in droves, but the proper US release should be Octoberish.

Download the demos for Metal Gear Solid 4 and Motor Storm: Pacific Rift. Those are probably must-have, defining titles anyway, but taking a little sampling first can't hurt.

As for downloadable games, I can't imagine a person who wouldn't enjoy Shatter.
Oh and another vote for Super Stardust HD.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I do not know what your preferences are, here are my PS3 only recommendations:

* Uncharted (the best PS3 game so far)
* Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction (if you do not hate jump&runs you must get this)
* Little Big Planet (I have only played the beta, but this is worth buying for only the user made levels), be sure to buy the GOTY edition if you go for it

Currently I am waiting for my Demon's Souls preorder, let's see if it is so good as everyone says (I believe that it is so hard :) ).

How about writing what games you find great, so maybe we can easier pick some recommandations for you.

BTW, do not forget to read the good and bad reviews on: http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/scores/ , the hype industry this has become you really need to take your time to read a review which also takes the cons, else you could get some surprise. In my case it was Assassins Creed - just as Shadow of the Beast: average, but hyped because of graphics.

Have fun with your new console...

For PSN dowlnloadables, I recommend:

CRASH COMMANDO !

Its the best PSN game I have played till now. Feels lame when you fire the gun for the first time, but within 15 minutes you are hooked to the mayhem !

I'm particularly looking for recommendations of games that would be "essential" to experiencing just what makes gives the PS3 its own identity.
LBP and Uncharted I'd say. Possibly RnC. SingStar ought to be bought if you really want a flavour of PS3! :p I'd also say Warhawk, flOw/Flower, and Fat Princess off PSN. Many other titles IMO are just 'console games' and don't show PS3ness. eg. IMO Stardust isn't PS3ness, just good gamingness that could appear on any platform. The key PS3 titles are things that are rarer IMO as Sony indulge developers' crazy whims with the freedom to create as they want. Upcoming would be Heavy Rain and EyePet, even if they review terribly, because they are more Sony-financed innovations.

However, I'm not sure you're after a true PS3 experience rather than just wanting good games. eg. Tekken 6 is available on XB360, so isn't a PS3 experience. For game recommendations, maybe go on Metacritic and list the top 10 scoring games!

I think gamers are better judge of a Fun factor of the games than the reviewers. Reiviewers usually get over with the game as soon as they can to publish a review. They play it as a job, all at one go. That is not the way people play at homes usually, and hence, I see differing opinions from gamers and reviewers.

Ask like minded friends ! If still unsure, watch a walkthrough video(careful for spoilers). If the gameplay clicks, GO Get it :D !
I was unsure about Uncharted(long back) and watched a walkthrough video of an initial section ! One minute into the video and I knew I wanted that game. It still my most played game !

I think gamers are better judge of a Fun factor of the games than the reviewers. Reiviewers usually get over with the game as soon as they can to publish a review. They play it as a job, all at one go. That is not the way people play at homes usually, and hence, I see differing opinions from gamers and reviewers.
Possibly true, but in the same vein I think that means the difference is gamer reviews are a point or two higher, but the general standing of the game is much of the same. I dunno. Are there any obvious games that the critics thought fabulous but which were actually rubbish, or vice versa?

I have these:

Full Disc Games

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift. Ignore the demo, just get the game. If you liked Wipeout, you've got a very good chance of liking this - beautiful graphics, great tracks, sound, physics, up to 4 player offline and 12-16 player online, and excellent sixaxis controls available.I'm considering this something like an evolution from Wipeout on PS1, to SSX on PS2, to Motorstorm on PS3.

LittleBigPlanet <- must have, but you can probably wait for the GOTY edition (you don't have to buy a tonne of games right on day one after all, better to focus on two different games at a time and move on when you've had enough). Just the GUI for the level building alone is worth it, then there's the awesome online level sharing, and not to mention a very decent up-to-four player offline or online single player campaign with full voice support, and you can make Sackboy do all sorts of crazy things using the sixaxis and voice-control lip-synching.

Singstar <- must have, if you have any social life at all. Also a poster-child for excellent presentation, and well over 1000 downloadable tracks (at least in Europe, thoug U.S. is catching up) - by far the best DLC for any musicgame. And then there are the awesome community features again in the form of media sharing of people's highlights in video, audio and photo form.

Buzz <- also great social game, though a new edition is coming and I don't know if the old one will be patched, so you may want to wait for that one. Still the best online quizz game by a fair margin, imho, again with user-creatable quizzes. Most played party game here (i.e. more than 2 players).

MGS4 <- definitely very PS3 ... Don't have to say much about it, except maybe that it beat Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 for sixaxis-boob-jiggling. Lol.

Uncharted <- must play, especially as platinum. Do it quick, before Uncharted 2 comes out. ;)

Killzone 2 <- but you have it already, so don't need to talk about that one.

Eye of Judgment <- you need an EyeToy, period. So that said, this game may well be the best way to get one. If you like any form of strategy game or liked Magic cards at one time in your life, you definitely have to try this - you may well like it better than EyePet, though of course that's crazy cute, and one of the first augmented reality games that's actually really great fun and even the basic cardset is competent enough. So especially if you can get this at a good price with the EyeToy, definitely give it a shot, it's very unique.

GT5 Prologue <- one of my most-played games and with amazing longevity and again amazing presentation. But of course you're probably better off waiting for the full game, that should be out early December.

Heavenly Sword <- short, but if you can get it on Platinum its still worth it. I enjoyed it enough to play it until the end-boss, and it both has a great wow-factor (despite a few spots suffering from slow-down) and I really liked the sixaxis implementation.

PSN Games

Wipeout HD <- you have it already. Fury add-on is great though, highly recommended.

Super Stardust HD <- definitely get this. Played it heaps, and it's not quite like anything else out there, so just ignore Shifty. Get it with the solo add-on pack, as that is essential and Endless mode is one of the best things the game has to offer in terms of pure wow-factor. It may be cheaper to get it with both packs, but I didn't think the multi-player pack was all that. Solo pack however, awesome, must have. For me better than the original game probably.

Zen Pinball <- if you like pinball, this is it, best one out there this gen. I like pinball a lot and have been playing a lot of games throughout the years for well over 20 years. It's similar to the pinball game on Live (by the same guys), but for some reason this PS3 version is vastly better even graphically, and includes great use of the analog mode that each DS2 and upwards buttons support.

PixelJunk Eden <- very nice game, definitely worth the asking price though can initially be a little frustrating (you can fall down very, very far initially ;) ). Also has Youtube support.

Shatter <- awesome and accessible, this is one of those games you'll definitely finish. The best reinvention of arkanoid/pong ever, with surprising depth and playability. It actually has bosses that are fun to beat too.

Warhawk <- if you like Battlefield style games, I think this is the best version out there on next-gen, still. Offering dedicated server as well as user hosted server and user-player-server configurations up to 32 players with well scaling maps, lots of different modes, vehicles and weapons, and very nice sixaxis support if you want it, this is definitely a highlight in online gaming even after two years (I think it just celebrated its second birthday?). And still plenty of games being played today.

The Last Guy <- strange game, but still very compelling. Not easy though! It's like a complicated pacman with google maps for graphics. One of the very few games my wife likes to play.

Fat Princess <- I can't actually judge how good it is yet. I liked it but making the beyond3d podcast got in the way so I haven't played it enough lately. However, I did play it enough in the beginning to already make it worth the purchase ... if you think you might like it, you'll probably find you will.

Home <- yes, it actually has gameplay! :) Some pretty fun stuff too. You can wait until 1.3 comes out, presumably around TGS, as that should be a significant improvement, unless you want to try it out so you can tell the before and after. ;)

As for Tekken, I'd wait until 6 is out. It sounds like it might be a game you may want on your 360 considering your arcade stick, though on the PS3 the d-pad is good enough for me. The PS3 version might still be better, depending on how well they manage to pull off the motion blur on the 360, but it's probably not going to matter much. It's definitely nice to have Tekken 5 on the harddrive though, to jump in every now and then.

Gah, I could go on for a while I think, but I'll stop here!

Great list ! Just to remind people.... *if* you like baseball, get MLB 2009.

I thought you may want to share some of the joy with your friends and family...

Based on my own PS3 demo and family experiences, the following is usually a hit with the casuals (when you're hosting them):

* MotorStorm 1 and 2 (2 should be enough). The bonnet view and the explosion freeze-n-pan feature will wow them. Pass the controller to them to try. Turn on SIXAXIS (mimicks steering action) if they are really noobish.

* Flower. 'nuff said. Well... watch them smile as they fly around the valley. This is the game Sony should use to show gamer face.

* SingStar. You should be able to find someone who likes to sing among a crowd. Try the voice recognition. You need to download the plugin from SingStore (for free). Our all-time casual title is SingStar ABBA. My 4-year-old drives the game with his tiny voice, which multiplies the wow-factor and makes me a proud father. :devilish:

* Operation: Creature Feature... if you have kids in your circle of friends. It's tiring to play on a big screen TV though.

* MLB 2009 idle scenes. Sometimes I fire it up just for the idle scenes (I work and leave the game running). Some casuals would walk into my office and marvel at the realism and humor.

* Gran Turismo Prologue: This reaction:

* LittleBigPlanet. Customize Sackboy. Run the first Media Molecule level. Show the level editor briefly. Don't pick difficult levels to try. It can be frustrating. But after the kids are done from repeated death and crying, they'd want to know what the game is called.

* FatPrincess. For some strange reason, some people (casuals and even 360 core gamers) are attracted to this title. I have to kick 2 360 dude gamers out of my office more and more frequently. One calls FatPrincess the best game ever. ^_^ In reality, it really depends on who you team up with in the game. It can suck but it can be fun too. My wife also doesn't mind me play this game in front of visitors and kids. She considers most games anti-social and forbids me to play them when we have company. [size=-2]But... honey, there's so much blood ![/size]

The EyePet trailer is a hit too (especially the one where the monkey sings after you). ^_^

EDIT: For Blu-ray movies, I show 'em:

* Planet Earth

* Final Fantasy Advent Children

* Coraline 3D (Their eyes will get tired within 10 minutes though).

Lots of great games already covered so I'll be totally predictable and add another vote to Warhawk. It is everything Arwin said but even more awesome.

I note of caution though... Servers, whilst still plentiful, are significantly reduced from, say, 8 months ago.

It really is lots of fun though. It's what online gaming is all about (to me).

Are you asking for a derail?

Possibly true, but in the same vein I think that means the difference is gamer reviews are a point or two higher, but the general standing of the game is much of the same. I dunno. Are there any obvious games that the critics thought fabulous but which were actually rubbish, or vice versa?
Tons. Reviewers are exposed to tons of PR, from old-fashioned press kits and "briefings" and private demos all the way to "friends in the industry" they have lunch with.

Take Timeshift for example, which is an excellent fps, as far as single-player campaigns go anyway, but because it's not by an American developer with aggressive PR personnel on the ground, it got a real sober response from all the usual suspects.

On the other end, look at Bethesda's last couple of games. They have the troops deployed to sell their broken, unrewarding core gameplay as "okay for an RPG" for one.

I'd say the level of reverence for the franchise/the developer is a bigger factor to review scores these days, certainly at the high end of the spectrum, than any trait of the actual game.

Yes, Flower is awesome of course, and Flow is also fun to try (should be really cheap).
One example in particular of reviews getting it completely wrong is Super Rub-a-Dub, which I forgot to mention. This game is sixaxis heavy, but a favorite with many who try it. It got 3/10 from several big sites, but I can't find much wrong with it to be honest! I golded every level (there's a fair few) and would rate it 9/10 back then and now several years later it's still pretty good!

Back