Wii, more reliable than x360 and PS3 (failure rate)

I would imagine they keep track of all RROD returns for service and are confident their records would prove their claims if it was indeed brought in front of a court of law.

Everything other than MS internal documents is basically surveys and speculation, both of which are open to errors.

Regards,
SB

It would be quite an accomplisment by nintendo if their 5 year old technology with a motion waggle turned out less reliable than fairly high tech consoles.

Wonder how this survey was done. 16k sample seems low. Email survey seems a stupid way to find out.

RRoD seems kind of low.

Last edited by a moderator:
No solid numbers = everything is based on predictions and guesses. I doubt anyone can accurately measure the number of failures for any system.

Wonder how this survey was done. 16k sample seems low. Email survey seems a stupid way to find out.

RRoD seems kind of low.
I believe this is a company that handles warranties for consumer electronics (eg consoles)
thus u pay them an extra $50 (or something) + then if it breaks down youre covered.
the low RROD numbers is party due to MS offering to fix those errors for free (thus ppl dont need to bother squaretrade for reimbursement)

0.5% at that rate. I guess this is for only YLoD falts. The actual Watchdog show was pretty rubbish. They've gone all sensationalist, trying to make problems out to be far worse than they are. the only really interesting point here is that it confirms what grandmaster found. The problem is fixed wth baking. Seems lead-free solder is a big culprit. I guess all these busted CE goods and transport and processing or repairs is much better for the environment than lead in working products...

Yeah my dad is in the engineering industry and he hates the lead free solder. He also heard stuff from other engineers that Microsoft's famous RROD is most likely lead free solder related as well.

Im sure lead free solder amplifies any issues but if it was down to this alone both consoles would have similar failure rates. The main issue in the 360 seems to be the clamps used to hold the heatsinks down, which is probably just made worse by the type of solder. I have no idea why MS hasnt just replaced these clamps, im sure if they did failure rates would be more inline with PS3s

Apparently, Wii and PS3 users are experiencing hardware issues (bricking & drive failure respectively) after the latest updates are installed, according to Joystiq

Online open survey?

Are those numbers including repaired units or just new ones?

That survey could just as well be telling you that Xbox owners with failed units are more apt to be vocal about their problem by answering surveys... anecdotal at best.

Tommy McClain

Another survey on failure rates. 60% 360, 16% PS3, 6% WII.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49304288,00.htm
I'm not a fan of self selecting surveys. How often does an average person bother with one when their product is working fine? I could easily see that buyers of PS3s and Wiis -- most of whom have had up to a decade of gaming fun with PS1, PS2, or various Nintendo consoles -- would be more likely to go out of their way to say that they haven't had a problem.

You have a similar problem with car reliability surveys. I'm not denying that Japanese cars have higher quality, but the common perception exaggerates the differences even beyond the inflation from self-selection.

I'd rather put much more weight into the Squaretrade numbers.

Back