PS3 Firmware 3.0

Nah... they need to be sensitive to the users' needs and perception. Whoever's needs come first will depend on the specifics (e.g., sometimes, the developers' needs will be more important).

Also I don't think they meet to talk about licensing concerns, probably something else. e.g., roadmap, technical approaches, tactical integration, etc. if the rumor is true

It is silly to expect. Sony isn't going to make it mandatory.

Truth is, the functionality is in the SDK. Developers simply chose not to implement it.

I'm not at all irritated by it's abscense, since the most annoying thing to me on XBL is playing one game, and having people constantly spamming me with game invites. Hint: If I wanted to play with you, I'd be playing the same game as you. Stop spamming me with invites.

It's convenient, but ridiculously abused.

I don't know why you think it's that difficult to simply pop in the disc (which you would have to do anyways) and jump into the same party, as opposed to accepting an invite, popping in the disc, and being put in the party. Same end result with one additional step. I do not see the big deal here.

This is my opinion, so as always, ignore it and take it with a grain of salt.

We're talking about different things.

You add people to your friends list because you want to play with them again. But all you can do with that friends list is send one-off messages to each other, not even as usable as an IM window.

You can't tell for instance which lobby or game sessions of FIFA 10 they're in, because the Friends List doesn't tell you beyond he's playing FIFA. Nor can you invite him to the same game of FIFA.

Before Sony imposed this universal PSN friends list, EA games on the PS2 had their own EA Friends List, where you could track what they were doing, when they were going to be free from their game, which lobby to meet in.

So the usability of PSN right now is inferior to what it used to be on the PS2, at least for EA games.

Instead of restoring that, they spend resources on FB? And that's defensible for a game network?

I updated to 3.10 while watching TV.

Set it to auto shutdown after update and switched to TV and the PS3 shut off within 10 minutes.

Maybe it's not updated after all but was expecting it would take much longer.

Oh and who really uses the browser that much? It it lets you upload/download files it might have some utility.

Oh and who really uses the browser that much? It it lets you upload/download files it might have some utility.

Me ! Not sure about "much", but I use it to play YouTube videos (friends' uploads, foreign performances and karaoke) in my livingroom. It's my most used non-game on the PS3 besides the screen saver. Singing is one of the best ways to teach my kid how to speak more than one languages.

As for party system, there has been consistent rumor about working cross game voice chat on the devkits for months (or a year) now. Have been wondering how that ties to the party system. Looks like it's being held up by technical issues or the revenue issue ? If the FB integration has no problem holding it back, it will be released first.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's done the right way. But that's another question altogether.

On a side note, I think it is important for Sony to experiment with HTTP-based gaming (browser games). So FB is not really off the radar. Things like Playstation Home (Pushing HTTP 3D gaming boundary, the Xi ARG game), The Last Guy's promo mini-game (e.g., web page gaming), FB integration (e.g., social and meta gaming on the net) may have implications in the long run.

Instead of restoring that, they spend resources on FB? And that's defensible for a game network?

People (around the net) speak as there is a single development team working on a single feature at a single time and that parallel development does not exist. My company may push out features and updates to things some may or may not find useful but that doesn't mean we aren't developing and testing other requested features. Some things are easier to push to prod faster so why not do it?

Yes, development could take up resources on another project but no one has their road map or internal delivery dates to say one is taking from the other.

I do. I watch a lot of YouTube videos. I haven't tried uploading anything from it, but you can download files. I download PS3 themes from the browser, as well as HD videos from GameTrailers, and other sites.

I do. I watch a lot of YouTube videos. I haven't tried uploading anything from it, but you can download files. I download PS3 themes from the browser, as well as HD videos from GameTrailers, and other sites.

The upload can be done inside the games that support "YouTube Uploading" right ?

It's natural for people to fire up the web browser to check the result.

You can't tell for instance which lobby or game sessions of FIFA 10 they're in, because the Friends List doesn't tell you beyond he's playing FIFA. Nor can you invite him to the same game of FIFA.

This must be a decision made by the developers because I can see people on my friends list playing MW2, and it clearly shows what game they're playing - eg: FFA, TDM etc.

EA is at fault too.

But if Sony didn't have third-parties drop their online features like the ones EA had for their PS2 games in favor of a not-ready-for-primetime PSN, usability might be a lot better right now.

The launch game, RFOM, has one of the best online experiences to-date at launch (where PSN was at its weakest). I don't think it's fair to say Sony allows or encourages EA to get away with it. It's EA's decision.

This must be a decision made by the developers because I can see people on my friends list playing MW2, and it clearly shows what game they're playing - eg: FFA, TDM etc.

Yeah, and NFS Shift even went totally overboard almost with the detail they provided here. They status-changed for just about anything you could do in that game.

Did the update too at around 20:00, had no problems. However, trophy synching stopped with an error at 33% every time. I think that either something is wrong, or everyone is messing with the friends list backgrounds which causes a lot of inadvertent trophy synching.

Small thing but I got the TV section now as well with the news broadcasting organisation's icon that gives you a YouTubeXL like page with links to the latest news, the second latest news, the news for children, sports stuff and some other stuff. It's certainly no BBC iPlayer, but at least it's something. ;) In the window it can be a bit stuttery but the full screen mode is pretty good.

Also, I hooked up my facebook account, after which my trophies promptly synched without issues. To test I bought LittleBigPlanet PSP and sure enough it popped up, though just as a line of text, no fancy image.

http://www.facebook.com/avanarum

Trophies though do give an image. I synced my slim PS3 and uploaded my Uncharted 2 latest trophies to Facebook. There is now a description and an Uncharted 2 logo just like the Trophy room

I use the PS3 internet browser quite often, like 3 or 4 times a week. If I just want to check some information or read news, it's faster to just use my PS3. It takes my PC about 2 minutes from switch on to running a browser.

Although I don't use facebook much, I'm strangely happy to have the facebook feature. I have a facebook account that I use only very occasionally. Like many online services, I need to remember to login from time to time to avoid suspension of account. From now on, I'll be relying on my trophy updates to keep that account active. ;)

I also like that the update posted on facebook does not show my PSN account name. I'm a bit paranoid and don't like to make it easy for people to put my different "usernames" online together.

I still hate the Trophy sync functionality. Why must users actively sync their trophies? It's incomprehensible and unacceptable. :(

What sequel ? And what happened to the thread ? I thought when toned down, they made valid points.

3.10 is not a bad update. There are behind the scene fixes like crash reporting, and some localized features for EU. It also reversed the ugly friends list look, optimized the web browser, and improved the photo browsing.

Back