PS3 Firmware 3.0

So maybe they are going to port Firefox? come 2011 we might get a good browser. :p
What's the best case ETA? Would a PPU only rendition be much of an improvement?

Well... using Linux on my old PS3, I can tell that Firefox actually ran quite well. But that is with HDD swapping, which I don't know how robust it is within the XMB compared to original GNU kernel code.

Performance was also good. And there was no optimization whatsoever, as far as I could tell (simple PPC64 compiler).

I don't suppose you'd need a huge amount of optimisation. A fast PPU vector text renderer would be nice. Mostly it's just an Flash that's demanding. A straight PPC compile would be a big improvement. How big is it though? Would it have to fit into PS3's firmware, or install onto the system partition on the HDD?

I'd be willing to take the browser as an extra app rather than the dodgy version they use currently. Might even make iPlayer less frustrating.

If they can do something more useful like somehow attach your facebook account to the photo viewer app on XMB, then that would be be pretty rad!

If you could view the photo albumns of people on your friendslist and upload photos from your PS3 HDD straight to facebook, then something like that would be a big win imho.

Considering that they have changed the layout of the photo browsing in this update also, and that the webinterface to Facebook allows it witnessing the 360's integration feature, I'm willing to bet that this will be one of the first features to show up next. The youtube integration that's already in the sdk will probably also be accompanied by games that use the screenshot feature that's also in the sdk to post something directly to facebook.

I agree that the current FB integration does sound a bit useless but yeah it's obvious why they did it. I really don't mind more options eitherway :)

Me neither.

I don't suppose you'd need a huge amount of optimisation. A fast PPU vector text renderer would be nice. Mostly it's just an Flash that's demanding. A straight PPC compile would be a big improvement. How big is it though? Would it have to fit into PS3's firmware, or install onto the system partition on the HDD?

Well, the windows download is only like 5MB, but the dynamic libraries aren't included it that, and I don't know how flexible the API of the XMB is in that regard. But I guess, putting some good developers behind it, it can ONLY be better than what we have now (but... updates made the internet browser at least bearable)

Firefox's biggest problem is memory not speed. In fact it's the only monster I use at home that requires memory. (Chrome is worse but I don't use it on my desktop)
I too am off the opinion that a lightweight webkit would have been better solution, then again I don't really encounter rendering issues with PS3 browser. It's UI design that matters.

I tried 10 times and it timed out while downloading or didn't even connect to the update server due to congestion. I normally have no issues downloading stuff on my ps3 it's super fast. Sucks I can't get online without downloading the update that won't download due to congestion, it's these little things that I think would be resolved if PSN wasn't free, or at least have a priority system for paying users so things like MW2 servers or updates don't crap out on them, while still keeping online play free and thus having a leg up on MS.

Anyone know if I can download it onto usb flash and plug it in? Where would I go?

Edit...ok I found the sony website with instructions to download the update to a flash drive, but it's still stuck at 3.01, no 3.10 file to be found...here it is: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/SystemUpdates/PS3

Last edited by a moderator:
Just pathetic. It took me 3 tries for it to start downloading, and when it did it went to 8% then stopped. I had to re-start again, then it took 30 MINUTES to download.

This is a production system! Just embarrassing, Sony's software efforts are extremely frustrating.

And the kicker is the "update text": According to that display text, the only thing new in 3.10 is the new photo feature.

Amateur hour.

It's good to know I'm not crazy about the PSN's low bandwidth -- I constantly get maxed out downloads on XBL (1.2MB/s, my connection limit) and PSN is always, always slower...sometimes significantly so.

Why do they need to ask Mozilla anything? There's nothing to talk about.

The source is completely open. They can take it, port it, and run with it.

If I remember correctly, Apple eventually had to talk to the KHTML folks anyway to discuss merge issues and directions. They eventually broke up because of differences in philosophy and approach.

No point keeping quiet since they are working on the same code base. It is indeed wise to talk first if they already have something in mind.

Anyway, I managed to download the firmware at home. It's done after my shower (Not sure how long it took). My office PS3 is still not updated yet.

Good to see my old friends list back !

I haven't tried the photo viewing yet. There's a special analyst meeting tomorrow. I wonder if there's something else in this update.

Also heard that EU PS Store is up.

It's good to know I'm not crazy about the PSN's low bandwidth -- I constantly get maxed out downloads on XBL (1.2MB/s, my connection limit) and PSN is always, always slower...sometimes significantly so.

You live in the wrong country then - PSN is one of the only services where I can actually max out my connection speed (3.0MB/s), regardless if I download from the EU or the US PSN store... :D

Haven't tried the 3.10 update yet though - I guess there are times when the service is being hammered, but IMO it's never been an issue for me so far. I don't think it's an issue of it being a pay service or not.

PSP 6.20 is out too:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/18/psp-firmware-6-20-now-available/

Here's the full change log:

The importing of playlists from the Media Go application is now supported under [Video].

The importing of playlists from the PlayStation 3 system or the Media Go application is now supported under [Photo].

The [TV] category has been integrated into the new [Extras] category in the XMB menu. Compatible models: PSP-2000, PSP-2005, PSP-3000, PSP-N1000, PSP-N1005

I expected the 3.1 would go up for the launch of the video store in Europe. What are those TV options? (I only have PSP 1k models, so wondering what I'm missing out on)

And yeah, my PSN speeds are good as well, from any region too. This used to mean nothing as I had a 600KB line, but these days I'm on 2400KB and it's still maxing out. Though sometimes I think that the Japanese store is the fastest for some reason. May have to do a stopwatch test sometime.

Actually, I did not see a TV category under Extras. The only thing existing under Extras was the Digital Comics app.

Also, the Digital Comic app is really sleek. A free comic voucher will be handed out later today. http://www.playstationcomics.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah what a "silly" thing to expect, game-launching from an online game network on an online game console.

Instead you want your FB friends to know what video game trophies you've won.

That's important.

It is silly to expect. Sony isn't going to make it mandatory.

Truth is, the functionality is in the SDK. Developers simply chose not to implement it.

I'm not at all irritated by it's abscense, since the most annoying thing to me on XBL is playing one game, and having people constantly spamming me with game invites. Hint: If I wanted to play with you, I'd be playing the same game as you. Stop spamming me with invites.

It's convenient, but ridiculously abused.

I don't know why you think it's that difficult to simply pop in the disc (which you would have to do anyways) and jump into the same party, as opposed to accepting an invite, popping in the disc, and being put in the party. Same end result with one additional step. I do not see the big deal here.

This is my opinion, so as always, ignore it and take it with a grain of salt.

Why do they need to ask Mozilla anything? There's nothing to talk about.

The source is completely open. They can take it, port it, and run with it.
Not if they want to keep their modifications (juicy OS interfacing details) closed. The current license requires them to publish the full (modified) source code the instant they release binaries.

Not if they want to keep their modifications (juicy OS interfacing details) closed. The current license requires them to publish the full (modified) source code the instant they release binaries.
Mozilla's not going to modify the license just to appease Sony. If this is Sony's concern, I guess it wouldn't surprise me. But they really need to put the users infront of their own interests if they want to capture the users.

I cannot stand using the PS3 browser because of its performance and quirks. They desperately need a competent web browser if they want it to be used.

There are ways to get around it if you're creative, in any case. They can just take the Gecko engine and would need to contribute their updates to that, but the UI could be proprietary code and dynamically linked IIUC.

Back