PS3 Firmware 3.0

What a waste of time, FB integration.

They're focusing on the wrong features.

I was stunned last night when I watched the 3.10 preview video. The facebook integration is the worst thing I could've imagined. It's not useful facebook integration (they want you to use the terrible PS3 browser still), it's the spammy kind.

You'd think they'd have learned after the Uncharted 2 twitter fiasco...

Why do I care when my friends download PSP demos? Who in their right mind would want to broadcast that to the world? Who would want to deal with a nagging permissions dialog each time it may want to post something uselessly stupid to their friends feed? This is the kind of stuff when you have middle-aged men looking at checklists and wondering "What are kids into these days?" without any serious ramifications for how it could be used.

This is completely useless Facebook integration that will, in the real world, only affect me when I need to build new news feed filters to edit them out from the oblivious friends I have that don't realize no one cares about which demos they download.

On the plus side, the "new" PSN friends list looks better.

Just out of curiousity Asher, in the realm of the XMB what do you think would be meaningful or useful Facebook integration?

Cheers
Integration of the Facebook friends and the PSN friends would be a terrific start. Discover which of your facebook friends is on PSN and have that information linked to the PSN list.

XBL has a similar feature and I discovered the GamerTag of a bunch of people I didn't even know had them. I imported them into XBL with ease.

Perhaps an FB online status indicator under the PSN friend's details, etc. If you have a person on both PSN and Facebook, perhaps have their real-life name shown under their PSN name in the list. I confess I don't remember who a lot of these people are when looking at my PSN/XBL lists.

I hate, hate, hate messy/spammy walls/feeds..the signal to noise ratio is getting worse every day on Facebook and stuff like what's coming in 3.10 is useless. Sony is clearly viewing Facebook on the PS3 as a way to advertise (spam about the PS3 on people's walls) rather than connect gamers.

Useful FB integration would be none.

Just better game-launching and multiplayer setup would be good.

Any effort on FB is wasted. For all we know, a couple of years from now, the FB fad may have long passed by.

Ask Myspace about fads.

Integration of the Facebook friends and the PSN friends would be a terrific start. Discover which of your facebook friends is on PSN and have that information linked to the PSN list.

XBL has a similar feature and I discovered the GamerTag of a bunch of people I didn't even know had them. I imported them into XBL with ease.

Perhaps an FB online status indicator under the PSN friend's details, etc. If you have a person on both PSN and Facebook, perhaps have their real-life name shown under their PSN name in the list. I confess I don't remember who a lot of these people are when looking at my PSN/XBL lists.

I hate, hate, hate messy/spammy walls/feeds..the signal to noise ratio is getting worse every day on Facebook and stuff like what's coming in 3.10 is useless. Sony is clearly viewing Facebook on the PS3 as a way to advertise (spam about the PS3 on people's walls) rather than connect gamers.

Yeah, second all this. Getting a firmware update to allow us to advertise for Sony on our Facebook pages is epic fail.

I bet it sure makes sense to the guy who decided to have three copies of the PS Store icon on the XMB, though.. :cry:

Useful FB integration would be none.

Just better game-launching and multiplayer setup would be good.

Any effort on FB is wasted. For all we know, a couple of years from now, the FB fad may have long passed by.

Ask Myspace about fads.

Except Facebook was around before MySpace, and is still around, and shows no sign of slowing down. There's a huge difference between the two services, but hey, who am I to tell you you're wrong when you haven't provided any factual information other than your disdain for facebook?

Seriously, stop complaining. Optional feature is optional, news at 11. Facebook is too big to ignore, check your own thoughts and wants at the door. You know that Cross Game Chat is coming, but there are issues.

Silly game-launching and multiplayer stuff will never happen. Ever. If you haven't realized that by now, then I am sorry. It's just not going to happen.

Yeah what a "silly" thing to expect, game-launching from an online game network on an online game console.

Instead you want your FB friends to know what video game trophies you've won.

That's important.

Yeah what a "silly" thing to expect, game-launching from an online game network on an online game console.

Instead you want your FB friends to know what video game trophies you've won.

That's important.

Of course I want them to know what trophies I've gotten. Just as they want to let me know how they progressed in Mob Wars or Farmville :D

It's pretty clear why they did this - to take some steam away from Microsoft's Xbox integration. And it's working as far as headlines go - "PS3 gets Facebook too, for free." etc. etc.

They've stated that this is just the begining and they'll add more useful FB integration in the future - they've obviously done this right now, because it's the only FB feature that's ready (it's the easiest to implement.)

Great to see them take notice over the grey box friend's list. Polls do work! =)

If they can do something more useful like somehow attach your facebook account to the photo viewer app on XMB, then that would be be pretty rad!

If you could view the photo albumns of people on your friendslist and upload photos from your PS3 HDD straight to facebook, then something like that would be a big win imho.

I agree that the current FB integration does sound a bit useless but yeah it's obvious why they did it. I really don't mind more options eitherway :)

I agree with Asher. The FB app should start with user list integration first (e.g., showing who in my FB circle owns a PS3).

The spammy features they put it serve the developers and Sony. Don't really help the end users. I expect FB to morph over time. The entire FB summary page is getting spammy now. They may risk losing more users. I heard they are holding private meetings with FB developers to decide how to fix that.

I think Sony should do more webservices to take Playstation Home, LBP recommendations + user generated content, friends list, inbox, and other PSN features, etc. into the Internet. Let authorized people decide how best to use these info in FB, gaming sites, or any other mashups.

Bringing FB to PS3 is ok. But I suspect FB will eventually do a TV UI over the web browser anyway, just like YouTube has a simple TV UI now. They need the UI for TV widgets, and other small devices.

EDIT: On a related note, I am really glad they fixed the friends list.

If they can do something more useful like somehow attach your facebook account to the photo viewer app on XMB, then that would be be pretty rad!

If you could view the photo albumns of people on your friendslist and upload photos from your PS3 HDD straight to facebook, then something like that would be a big win imho.

I do hope that is the direction that they take and this is the type of integration that I prefer.

I agree with Asher. The FB app should start with user list integration first (e.g., showing who in my FB circle owns a PS3).

EDIT: On a related note, I am really glad they fixed the friends list.

Agreed. Deeper integration such as uploading photos directly from HDD to FB or tagging FB users as PSN users to see who has a PSN account. That way you can add more real life friends to your PSN friends list.

It is also nice that the web browser is getting a update. I would love to see an "application" feature implemented for the browser as it is on the iPhone and Google Chrome.

On the iPhone, you can save the web page as an app link to your home screen. It simply opens the web page. In Google Chrome, you can save a page as an application. So for Gmail, I saved it as a desktop application and when I open it, it opens its own dedicated window. Why not have this for the browser?

I would like to save XMB links (with filtering and organization) of my favorite pages with quick and direct access. It would be better if the UI was customized for each experience. I can save the YouTube link to my XMB as an app. Save FB to the XMB as an app, and so on.

In my book, any (substantial) improvement to the web browser -- especially the like of WebOS -- is always a good thing in the long run.

So maybe they are going to port Firefox? come 2011 we might get a good browser. :p
What's the best case ETA? Would a PPU only rendition be much of an improvement?

Well, good. Mozilla does have that amazing "don't ask about enabling plugins every time" technology that the PS3 needs so much.

Back