PS3 Firmware 3.0

Hmm... now that you mentioned it, it does look a tad smaller. Or is it placebo ?

It looks like the label for the primary icons are smaller but the rest still have big font.

Hmm... now that you mentioned it, it does look a tad smaller. Or is it placebo ?

I looks like the label for the primary icons are smaller but the rest still have big font.

I haven't downloaded the upgrade yet, but the label for the primary icons were always quite small.... (and never the issue)...

I may just skip this 3.01 update since my white PS3 (CECHL) and controller (CECHZC2CH) seem fine with 3.00 so far. Since firmware 3.00, I've started and finished 1) Bioshock survivor mode, 2) Uncharted hard mode, 3) Uncharted crushing mode.

3 full runs in 2 games and nothing unusual happened. The only slight problem I have is the codes I found on gamefaqs which are supposed to unlock a few bonus features for Uncharted don't seem to work.

Must have been my imgaination then :)

I've been hearing that 3.01 doesn't fix controller issues people were having though.

Found an unofficial (but the most comprehensive) list of 3.0 features: http://www.sonyside.eu/tag/xmb/

I discovered the new copy-n-paste feature this afternoon. The others are:

* What’s new? – Shows new content available in the PlayStation Store and on the net regarding PS3 games and other media.

Status bar – The upper right corner shows a lot of handy information about your online status, including the amount of friends online right now and whether you have any new messages. A clock icon is also added, that also acts as the new ‘loading’ icon.

Friends list update – A new look and the ability to show te entire message history you’ve had with your fiends.

PlayStation store shortcuts – In the Games, Videos, and Music sections of the XMB (Cross Media Bar), you’ll see new links to the PlayStation store, including shortcuts to the (for us Europeans still upcoming) Music and Video stores.

New and paid avatars - Tired of the same old avatars currently available? Well loads of new ones will be added soon, and paid avatars will become available in the PS Store as well.

Dynamic Themes – Soon, new animated themes will become available in the PlayStation Store, instead of the ‘boring’ static ones available now. Most of these will most likely not be free though. The default PS3 theme will be updated slightly to included new sparkles!

Trophies update – Developers will now have the option to list ‘main game’ trophies and ‘add on content’ trophies separately. Also, the platinum trophy will not be counted in the completion percentage of a game anymore.

Upconverting Audio from USB – You can now upconvert audio from the hard drive or a USB source to 88.2 Khz or 176.4 Khz.

Multiple output sound – The sound settings let you select simultaneous audio output, so that sound can be output simultaneously through HDMI, optical, and AV Multi.

Video playback controls – Video playback speed can be adjusted with your right analog stick now.

Video language settings – New options for selecting the default audio and subtitle language of HDD movies are available.

Web browser – In addition to being much faster, there is a new print screen feature in the PS3 browser.

Startup – All models, ranging from 40 to 160 GB, slim or not, now have a new shorter startup screen with the new PS3 logo. The sound is also slightly different. In addition, the PlayStation 3 logo appearing before starting a PS3 game has been removed, making game startup slightly faster as well.

TV section – A new TV section has become available for UK users, including a link to the BBC iPlayer. Users elsewhere in Europe will have to wait before their local tv stations ready support for the service.

iPlayer will be "followed shortly" by:
- rtve (Spain)
- Antena 3 (Spain)
- laSexta (Spain)
- ZDF (Germany)
- NOS (Netherlands)
- ABC (Australia)

DTCP-IP support – Settings to allow viewing copy protected videos on a media server have been added.

Larger font – The XMB’s font size has been increased, so that readability on small screens with a high resolution has been improved.

Copy & Paste – Copy & Paste ability is now added to the messages screen

Remote Play on mobile phones – It is now possible to add mobile phones to your PS3 system, so that they can enjoy Remote Play features of the PS3. The first mobile phone supporting this is the Sony Ericsson Aino.

Personally, I don't think the web browser speed has improved.

Original source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372830

DTCP-IP support – Settings to allow viewing copy protected videos on a media server have been added.

Anyone find this setting? I don't see it anywhere. I wonder if the ps3 can playback directv recordings with this.

Dont you enable it under System, same place as WMA and ATRAC stuff.

That's what I thought too but I don't see anything there. I see WMA and ATRAC but nothing about DTCP-IP.

patsu said:
Do you have test files that require DTCP-IP ? I was going to give the tech a test run.

I don't actually have any files, I'm just curious about it. I guess the directv DVR uses DTCP-IP with its upnp server so that may be a way to test it out.

Cross-game chat confirmed by Naughty Dog dev for next firmware update ;
ReklissAbandon @ PS Forums said:
I think they wanted people to have fun and ejoy the show since all dead players can talk to each other no matter what team you are on. But I will suggest it anyway. Not to mention that the next PS3 firmware update is going to allow cross game chat. So if players use that instead of in game communication then they would also be able to communicate enemies positions.
[ http://bit.ly/19Wncw ].

Not really sure I'm looking forward to that. How will that intefeer with games that already have a game-chat in the game and part of the online experience?

I'm also a bit fed up with games (i.e. KZ2) that don't let me mute all other players not in my squad by default. And I really hope they give us the option to turn that stupid ticker off and smaller fonts....

Oh and while I'm at it - PS3 really needs a spam filter. Since the stupid "copy/paste" function, I've been receiving stupid spam messages about boycotting this and that because x and y want to start charging us for q and z. Bloddy annoying. Or they should just disable the function to "paste" into messages to people that are NOT on your list.

Oh and while I'm at it - PS3 really needs a spam filter. Since the stupid "copy/paste" function, I've been receiving stupid spam messages about boycotting this and that because x and y want to start charging us for q and z. Bloddy annoying. Or they should just disable the function to "paste" into messages to people that are NOT on your list.

I haven't gotten any random messages, but some people on my friends list who sent me such a message have been immediately removed and blocked. Also stupid mails about betas, PSN messaging tests, etc. I've decided that on PSN I can afford to be elitist and use this as a basic intelligence filter. So you have been warned. ;)

I agree. I haven't received any "spam" from my friends (yet), though I will take identical steps if necessary. The spam I get is from people who find me through the "players met" list. Since I am still very active in playing KZ2 MP, lots of people find me in there and seem to forward their stupid messages to everyone on that list.

If Sony can make sure that list can't be abused (like by deactivating the paste option sending a message to someone through that list) to send spam, they should. It's very annoying. :devilish:

Back