God of War Collection – Blu-ray Disc Compilation

You'll be pleasantly surprised with the GoW story if you're expecting NG/DMC caliber story. It's not oscar worthy, but it's certainly better than the average action game.

Yeah, I'd go as far as saying that they had a better story than some actual story-drive games like RE and MGS. GOW doesn't have deep combat like NG/DMC but it's a much tighter package with platforming, puzzles, and great narration. Hell it has more puzzles than most adventure games out there.

On that note, GOWII does give you a mini rundown/narration of what happened in the first game. I didn't like the first game much to be honest, but GOWII was a blast from start to finish.

I agree. The story has an epic Lord of the Rings type vibe to it, although without as much traveling or characters. Kratos makes a great main character...kicks @$$ without compromises.

The story is entertaining especially if you like greco-roman history. But it is a bit lacking in characters it's all Kratos which works for a videogame. But if a movie comes along they're gonna have to add stuff(but please leave out annoying sidekicks).

You'll be pleasantly surprised with the GoW story if you're expecting NG/DMC caliber story. It's not oscar worthy, but it's certainly better than the average action game.
Hey... NG story may not be great, but I LOVE the DMC story.

But I agree, GoW has a great story.

I'm struggling in the first challenge part in Pandora's Castle. After you get the new sword, you go into a battle with about 8 gorgons with red beams. I've died about 10 times. Any tactics or strategy I'm missing? I can handle about 2-3 at a time, but when I start running and they swarm me I either need to pick dodge or fight. Getting a little flustered.

I'm struggling in the first challenge part in Pandora's Castle. After you get the new sword, you go into a battle with about 8 gorgons with red beams. I've died about 10 times. Any tactics or strategy I'm missing? I can handle about 2-3 at a time, but when I start running and they swarm me I either need to pick dodge or fight. Getting a little flustered.

How much magic do you have?

Get good with the parry, and when you can counter (it'll go into slow mo) hit square to knock back enemies. Rolling frequently helps against gorgons. You can get in 2 or 3 light hits and then roll, use this to wear them down.

If none of them are using the beam and / or terribly close to you, then use L1+O to do a "smash" attack. It does good damage, and will blow back any enemies.

Square Square Triangle is the most versitile attack in the game. It ends with a hard hit, and you can cancel out at any time with a roll. I really REALLY suggest you use this move a lot.

Avoid all the flashy spinning moves at all costs when gorgons are near.

Lastly, if you have rage of the gods, use it.

Also, it's good to kill the gorgons with the grapple move since it gives you magic and it'll give you a breather. You can then use that magic to kill other enemies.

Good luck!

BTW, what difficulty are you playing on?

It's an action game :p you mean there's a story? If so I'm impressed. Not trying to be funny here... just I wouldn't really go back and play DMC1 or NG1 for the story any time soon :p

GoW has rather big production values, and imo had a very good story, for a game anyways. Its not oscar worthy but i like it a lot. Kraetos is cool

I am contemplating picking this up, but I already have GoW 1 and 2 sitting on my shelf (I have a launch PS3 with BC).

It seems like double dipping and I know I won't really get any money for the PS2 versions...

I am contemplating picking this up, but I already have GoW 1 and 2 sitting on my shelf (I have a launch PS3 with BC).

It seems like double dipping and I know I won't really get any money for the PS2 versions...

It really depends on how much you like your God of War :p

I'm enjoying it, they look fantastic, and the improvements are pretty subtantial.

Was this the game that had decidedly poorer IQ in 1080p? I hadn't realized up until last night the game was running in 1080p. I dumped it down to 720p and saw an increase in overall IQ.

Was this the game that had decidedly poorer IQ in 1080p? I hadn't realized up until last night the game was running in 1080p. I dumped it down to 720p and saw an increase in overall IQ.

Only if you consider 960x1080 to be a lower resolution than 1280x720 :LOL:

I think you may have it mixed up with AC2.

I think that depends more on how your HDTV handles the scaling the PS3 does. On my LCD 40", it looks okay in 1080p, but on my 56" DLP, it doesn't look so hot. I think each set up will definitely yield different results.

I think that depends more on how your HDTV handles the scaling the PS3 does. On my LCD 40", it looks okay in 1080p, but on my 56" DLP, it doesn't look so hot. I think each set up will definitely yield different results.

So you're saying that the 960x1080 resolution mentioned earlier was untrue? Seems perfectly fine to me, though I haven't checked out the 720p mode and I'm used to the original versions' IQ so anything better than the sub-SD res offered there (on PS2 that is)

But your HDTV doesn't need to scale anything. The PS3 renders 960x1080 which is scaled to 1920x1080 and output to your HDTV. I think it's more a matter of how good your HDTV displays sources(your LCD probably has mediocre contrast to begin with) or you being able to better notice things on your bigger 56'' screen.

I personally don't trust 960x1080. I had a CRT HDTV that was 850x1080i and the lack of horizontal resolution(plus other things inherent with CRT tech) really hurt the PQ. There's a reason some games won't use that pseudo-1080p mode unless 720p is unchecked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally started playing this. It looks better than I thought it would. Very clean, decently sharp and no tearing! Still had 1-2 parts of slowdown though but nothing too bad. I also find myself enjoying it more than I did the first times I played it on PS2 for some reason. Demo is still downloading so I haven't tried GoWIII yet.

Just noticed that the game is only outputting stereo. Is this normal? I guess they're not going to recreate the original sound track so that it's in surround.

Back