TEXAN*s SEGA enthusiast thread - past and future hardware choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
They used it for in-car navigation systems. SEGA didn't have any plans to rerelease a DC or DC portable.

??

Seems like an underusage of the hardware.

I would have atleast been expecting the implementation of the technology in a mobile device or something for gaming purposes. Like a mobile phone

??

Seems like an underusage of the hardware.

I would have atleast been expecting the implementation of the technology in a mobile device or something for gaming purposes. Like a mobile phone

The chip probably consumes more power than that required for a portable system anyway.

Pace, makers of digital TV set to boxes, designed an STB using it. IIRC the plan was for cable TV providers to make DC software available for download. AFAIK none were interested, and the Pace machine never got to consumers.

The SH3707 is MBX based, so not a Dreamcast compatible SoC. Its creation was commissioned for potential use in portables -- power consumption was suitably low, as such -- as well as amusement (arcade, pachinko, pachislot) devices, where it saw its primary implementation with the Aurora platform.

Though similar to the SH3707 which was commissioned specifically by Sammy/SEGA, Renesas's SH-Navi SoCs, like the SH7770, were actually the chips which were used in car navigation devices.

SEGA did commission the design of a real Dreamcast-on-a-Chip back then which was, as mentioned, used by Pace in set-top boxes.

What I find most intriguing about the SH3707 is that it's an MBX platform with, according to Simon, support for hardware translucency sorting.

You can tell SEGA ran out of money around the turn of the millennium as the NAOMI 2 should of been SH5+KYRO2 instead of the cheaply designed NAOMI 2 that we got in the end.

You can tell SEGA ran out of money around the turn of the millennium as the NAOMI 2 should of been SH5+KYRO2 instead of the cheaply designed NAOMI 2 that we got in the end.
Sigh... and by the magic of time travel, development of Kyro2 would be brought forward to be before both Kyro1 and PMX1, while the SH5 would outperform the transform+clipping+lighting performance of Elan while still running the remaining game code. :rolleyes:

/me wonders if the enlighten mallet has a long enough handle.

BTW I also find the "cheaply designed" somewhat offensive.

BTW I also find the "cheaply designed" somewhat offensive.

Then for all that is holy, please put this joker in his place: go postal on him. :D Maybe he'll get the hint & find some other forum to torment.

Tommy McClain

And yet there are far better-looking racing games on the Dreamcast. Rush was rubbish in the arcades and most likely had a rubbish port for the Dreamcast. Who would've thought it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back