How will NVidia counter the release of HD5xxx?

What will NVidia do to counter the release of HD5xxx-series?

• GT300 Performance Preview Articles

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • New card based on the previous architecture

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • New and Faster Drivers

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Something PhysX related

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Powerpoint slides

Votes: 61 41.5%
  • They'll just sit back and watch

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the HWInfo-Link you gave, GT230 is either made of G92 or G94 chips. According to Nvidia GT230 is... not yet conceived.

Given the Info in the drivers, the HWInfo, it seems that something like a Letter-Letter-Digit-Digit-Digit is derived from some number of ALUs (maybe even with a given frequency and a number of bits in the memory interface, basic specs, so to say. If those 48 ALUs are delivered by G92, G94, GT216 or something else seems not to be relevant.

According to the HWInfo-Link you gave, GT230 is either made of G92 or G94 chips. According to Nvidia GT230 is... not yet conceived.

Given the Info in the drivers, the HWInfo, it seems that something like a Letter-Letter-Digit-Digit-Digit is derived from some number of ALUs (maybe even with a given frequency and a number of bits in the memory interface, basic specs, so to say. If those 48 ALUs are delivered by G92, G94, GT216 or something else seems not to be relevant.
How? neliz's point was poor execution by Nvidia. Nvidia substituting GT216 based products with G92 proves exactly that.

Actually, a GT230 already surfaced toward end of May in a Medion-PC - before there was talk about DX10.1, 40nm and GT216 IIRC.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Medion-Akoya-Desktop-Packs-Unofficial-GeForce-GT-230-GPU-112825.shtml
Nvidia denied plans for such a card at that time, claiming it was merely an accident that Medion called the card like it did.

Maybe I'm a little too soft-hearted for this thread's underdog, but it seems to me rather like someone else spoiled their GT230-party.

Whlie this:
He made it quite obvious, the GT335M will be GT216 based, the desktop part will be G92 based.
still doesn't make sense to me, since I've failed yet to see any Desktop-parts, i.e. GT 335, mentioned here, especially ones, that are G92-based. I've only seen AnarchX post some GT 33xM-Models - with M for mobile, I guess. Unless it is painstakingly obvious to anyone but me why GT230 is the logical desktop-equivalent of GT335M from a pure product pov.

Ah, well, maybe it's just too late today - I'll have a fresh go tomorrow. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I propose the poll gets an additional option like "confuse the hell out of everyone" and we can all withdraw our current votes and vote again :LOL:

Here it is...

Back to the 'technical' side of the 'new' chips. If you take an old 2xx series part that uses GDDR5 and hamstring it by using only GDDR3, you are now eligible to call it a 3-series part! Wow, genius! Please don't email me and ask why it makes sense, there is no sense at all in this.

He may be right, he may have a point, but his agressiveness coupled with these particular ads littering the article give off a very poor impression. Though his broken wafer joke made me lol

If you take an old 2xx series part that uses GDDR5 and hamstring it by using only GDDR3
I don't get it.
Which old 2xx series parts use GDDR5? None that I'm aware of :???:

Those new mobile DX10.1 ones do but the context doesn't seem to be referring to them.

2xx = 214/5/6?

These are future desktop parts too, previously some parts could have shipped with the same nomenclature that these parts are going to use.

OK, I think I get it: They are old because they have been 'released' (with no shipping products) for laptops with GGDR5 & they are now going to be re-released as desktop parts with GDDR3 & under different model numbers even though they have never actually been available yet.

Edit: Nope, still doesn't make any sense :oops:

Is it just me or does Nvidia seem to be running around like a chicken with its head cut off?

I have a feel Nvidia's left hand has no clue what Nvidia's right hand is doing right now.

Regards,
SB

AMD is releasing their new DX11 cards in September and currently it seems that NVidia will get its first DX11 cards to the market somewhere around the December. If the history repeats itself, NVidia will somehow try to steal the thunder from the AMD's release. What will they do?

My bet is that we're going to see performance previews from selected group of hardware sites but I wouldn't be surprised to see even a new G200-based card. What do you think? Will NVidia release software, hardware or ppts to counter the release of HD5xxx series?

i bet , more investement in nvidia dev supports program aka "we give you money for you sabote ATI perfs on your game project. here it is ! 1 Millions bucks kthxbye"

Even if GT300 isn't ready, there will be powerpoint presentations, closed demos, "simulations", maybe some engineering samples in closed boxes. It'll be a publicity spoiler, and we'll have no idea if the eventual GT300 lives up to these examples of what Nvidia wishes GT300 will be. It'll be bullshots for hardware.

Funny how "Nvidia doesn't comment on unreleased products" - until they want to run a spoiler against a competitor launch with an unavailable and unfinished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back