How will NVidia counter the release of HD5xxx?

What will NVidia do to counter the release of HD5xxx-series?

• GT300 Performance Preview Articles

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • New card based on the previous architecture

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • New and Faster Drivers

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Something PhysX related

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Powerpoint slides

Votes: 61 41.5%
  • They'll just sit back and watch

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else thinking that this coming generation could be a change of sorts, with ATI relying on a dualie card for top end and not having some monster GPU running GDDR5 512-bit bus?

I've been thinking what may happen is ATI will release a card soon that will seem super powerful for a short while. $300 at first, apparently. Then in a few months or so, NV will bring out a ridiculous over-the-top monolithic GPU, sequel to the huge GT200, and be undeniably the fastest monolithic GPU (monster bandwidth et al). This may or may not bring some Radeon 5xxx price cuts. Probably not considering how it sounds ATI is going to aggressively price it from the start and a monster huge NV chip isn't going to sell near $300.

If ATI is still doing AFR I expect them to attack that and lift a bit of the veil on their new high end cards.

I wouldn't say the thread is pointless, but some of the comments are.

I think unless NV pulls a rabbit out of their hat and manages to spoil AMD's launch with their own, we'll be fed the usual line of marketing b.s. until they can actually launch.

I wouldn't say the thread is pointless, but some of the comments are.

I think unless NV pulls a rabbit out of their hat and manages to spoil AMD's launch with their own, we'll be fed the usual line of marketing b.s. until they can actually launch.

Regardless of how I may view this thread. Assuming I know something. I wouldn't be able to post it anyway. So yes its a combination of me ignoring the thread amongst other things. ((Only reason I responded was because I was mentioned specifically))

Assuming any or all of this is true. It would not be the first or last time one IHV gets head start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell you what though, nv's marketing (and by extension nv) have a really bad image problem, do they care i wonder,

My guess is the marketing plan would revolve around new 40nm "price performance leader" cards using the same DX 10.1 architecture they announced for mobile. Only desktop versions. Note that those cards support GDDR5, too.

They'll downplay the DX 10.1 support. They'll play up DX11 Compute Shader support. Because true, DX11 has a SM 4.0 and SM 4.1 path for compute shaders that will run downlevel on DX10 class hardware. It also has a more robust SM 5.0 compute shader path - more shared memory per thread group, atomic operations, double precision, Gather 4, and other goodies not in the SM4.0 path.

Of course, there will be heavy promotion of PhysX and CUDA.

The message that will be implied, if not stated outright, will be "you don't need DX11 to make your games look better when there are hardly any DX11 games out or coming soon, and PhysX does more to make your game look better anyway."

At least, that's what I expect the marketing plan to be. I don't expect them to start talking about GT300, especially if it's a giant chip and they won't have $150 DX11 cards anytime soon.

Part of that equation has now changed.

I have severe doubts that one individual no matter how high ranked is exclusively responsible for a large company's PR/marketing strategy.

Tell you what though, nv's marketing (and by extension nv) have a really bad image problem, do they care i wonder,

If they'd care they would have changed it a long time ago. Just for the record show me an innocent PR/marketing department from any IHV out there and I'll show you a holy prostitute heh....

Ailuros is right. Just because Derek Perez left. Does not mean Nvidia's marketing machine or Nvidia marketing will change at all. There are tons of PR people with Nvidia. A ton. And they are doing business as usual. And still working with me, the press, and everyone else.

Ailuros is right. Just because Derek Perez left. Does not mean Nvidia's marketing machine or Nvidia marketing will change at all. There are tons of PR people with Nvidia. A ton. And they are doing business as usual. And still working with me, the press, and everyone else.

Good thing you said "with me" otherwise I could sense quite a few folks asking themselves if we're still sharing the same bathtub (in a metaphorical sense always LOL) :oops:

That is, IF Nvidia has something new to offer with their dual GT300 cards, which I hope they do!

While I don't doubt that they will eventually introduce a dual chip/single SKU based on D12U in the longrun, they better get the single high end chip SKU out the door in decent quantities before anyone can think about that one.

That is, IF Nvidia has something new to offer with their dual GT300 cards, which I hope they do!

Dual GT300 cards?

Do you have any idea how big GT300 is?

as for the topic, FUD! FUD and the GT21x parts that have been in production since the start of this year and simply have such abominable yields they take 10 months of production to show up in the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back