World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

WoW isn't the best MMO out there, its just the easiest and most brain dead and as such has the most people.

It's very accessible and caters to a wide range of player types. Being busy with work and family, I don't get a whole lot of time to sink into an MMO. I know I can get on WoW for short periods of time and actually do something, even have fun.

Sometimes easiest and brain dead is just what you want.

WoW isn't the best MMO out there, its just the easiest and most brain dead and as such has the most people.

Easiest to start, among the hardest if not hardest to master.
And it's no more braindead than any other MMORPG, even less so

Define "easiest" and "brain dead" please.

Have you cleared all level 80 raids in hardmode? Have you won any arena seasons?

If "no", then please complete these tasks before repeating these old stale superstitions.

Just because WoW is an accessible and popular game for a MMO doesn't make it "brain dead".

WoW Raids: gear up, run script, bingo
Arena Seasons: fine most broken class, win!

WoW is pretty much brain dead because none of the content is dynamic. The scripts are always the same, and the AI is almost useless.

Easiest to start, among the hardest if not hardest to master.
And it's no more braindead than any other MMORPG, even less so

hardest to master? I think not. WoW is effectively the poster child for non-interactive content. Its a wonder they went after bots at all given how much botting is build into their mod interfaces. There isn't anything hard about WoW, you know every single stat, every single strat, every single action against and for, and it even tells you when to use them and be prepared for them. That isn't hard. That's hand holding at its finest.

It's very accessible and caters to a wide range of player types. Being busy with work and family, I don't get a whole lot of time to sink into an MMO. I know I can get on WoW for short periods of time and actually do something, even have fun.

Sometimes easiest and brain dead is just what you want.

There's nothing wrong with being easy and brain dead, I was just explaining why it was such a success.

WoW is pretty much brain dead because none of the content is dynamic. The scripts are always the same, and the AI is almost useless.

PvP content is about as dynamic as you can get. Which MMO do you think does any of these things better? Just so we can make fun of you.

I see. You haven't actually raided, have you? :LOL:

What other MMO hasn't got scripted dungeon fights, tell me?

Why would scripted fights not be challenging? Virtually every successful computer game ever made with bosses have had a set strategy for defeating them. Come to think about it, I can't recall a single game ever where the boss's behavior was completely erratic and unpredictable, yet still fun.

This is ranging from the original Metroid and Mega Men on NES (arguably, Super Mario Bros. also had "scripted" boss fights), Legend of Zelda, Contra and a legion of side- or top-down scroller arcade games, all the Dungeon Masters, Eye of the Beholders, Bard's tales, all the Final Fantasies and offsprings, All the Secret of Manas, Actraisers etc, Devil may Cry and its spawn (God of War, Infamous, Dante's Inferno, Darksiders etc)... On and on.

You dismiss all of that because fights have set patterns??? Madness! :LOL:

...Because, lemme tell you, as someone who has ACTUALLY raided WoW dungeons, it can be plenty challenging I assure you. Even with addons that give boss warnings and so on (which you do not have to use, if you dislike the additional advantage).

I can immediately tell you haven't actually fought arena (seriously at least) either...

You're just parroting common misconceptions. I suggest you stop displaying further ignorance of the subject before you start looking ridiculous. :)

and the AI is almost useless.
What online multiplayer game isn't that true for, pray tell. Heck, what game has convincing AI period???

Besides, what do you expect in the way of AI, when game servers have to service thousands of concurrent players at a time? Most people don't measure their enjoyment in terms of amount of CPU cycles spent in AI subroutines. You'd be kind of weird if you actually did that...

hardest to master? I think not. WoW is effectively the poster child for non-interactive content.
I don't see where your claim for non-interaction comes from. Anything you do - literally, ANYTHING - you do in WoW requires interaction somehow.

Its a wonder they went after bots at all given how much botting is build into their mod interfaces.
Apart from not being able to bot AT ALL through Lua scripting, you're absolutely correct. LOL!

You can't even get a mod to throw out and loot your fishing bobber for you, much less actually play the game itself. I really don't know what you're talking about, and by the looks of it, neither do you.

Maybe time to read up on the capabilities of WoW macroing and modding before verbally slamming it to the ground, eh? There was a time when you in fact could issue movement commands and such through the built-in API, but that's long gone now.

There isn't anything hard about WoW, you know every single stat, every single strat, every single action against and for, and it even tells you when to use them and be prepared for them.
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

It's OBVIOUS you don't play the game (seriously, at least), and don't actually know much about high-level WoW gameplay. Min-maxing a character class is damn near a science in of itself. From professions, enchants, gemming choices, talent spec, gear... It's not obvious stuff at all. If you just bother to look it up on the right message boards, you can easily find a lot of evidence that WoW isn't as brain dead and simple-minded as you claim.

If you're a 7/57/7 marksman hunter with four-piece T9 gear, should you or should you not gem for armor penetration? Lemme know where in the game it tells you that! :LOL:

You obviously mistake that you can reach level 80 - and even get through 5-man instances - without actually knowing what you're doing, with the game being "brain dead" and hand-holding you.

It's not true. To reach the top you MUST research stuff, AND you must be talented also. Anyone at the top of their game in WoW, be it raiding or PvP, will tell you that. If you don't have the knowledge, you will get pulverized. If you have the knowledge, but not the gear, you will get pulverized. If you have the knowledge and the gear, but not the skill, you will get pulverized.

You can get far with knowledge and skill, but lacking gear.

Any WoW player who's worth their salt will confirm what I just said.

That isn't hard. That's hand holding at its finest.
Bollocks. You're just reaching to support a flawed argument. Pretty much any other computer game EVER that is more complex than Tetris has a strategy associated with it. Actually Tetris has an established strategy also.......heh.

Most WoW raidboss strategies - excluding more or less straight DPS-race type fights like Brutallus or Patchwerk - are more complex than any offline, single-player game bossfight. <<<<---- Truth

PvP content is about as dynamic as you can get. Which MMO do you think does any of these things better? Just so we can make fun of you.

Arena combat is as dynamic as you can get? Try actually playing a game with real PvP please. There is nothing dynamic about Arenas.

I see. You haven't actually raided, have you? :LOL:

What other MMO hasn't got scripted dungeon fights, tell me?

There are some games that have dynamic AIs and some games that use open world raiding. Both of which are significantly more dynamic than sitting in a private instance fighting a scripted encounter.

hardest to master? I think not. WoW is effectively the poster child for non-interactive content. Its a wonder they went after bots at all given how much botting is build into their mod interfaces. There isn't anything hard about WoW, you know every single stat, every single strat, every single action against and for, and it even tells you when to use them and be prepared for them. That isn't hard. That's hand holding at its finest.

Yes, that's why everyone clears hard mode content instantly (and previously high end raids) :rolleyes:
Oh wait, no, they don't, they don't even with months and months of practice and tactics given to them, only really small percent of players do, because they have mastered, or gotten close enough to mastering the game.

Arena combat is as dynamic as you can get? Try actually playing a game with real PvP please. There is nothing dynamic about Arenas.

Stop talking about WoW if you consider Arenas as the PvP content of the game. Sure, it's PvP in the sense you play against other players, but it's not WoW's PvP content as whole, and not the main part of it either.
The real PvP content is out in the world, though sadly not enough players tend to participate in it really excluding Wintergrasp. And then there's battlegrounds which are still closer to pvp than arenas, when they're played like they're meant to, not just rushed through

Define real pvp please. I expect you've never actually played WoW at all. Certainly not any significant experience at PvE or PvP. You're just taking random jabs based on something you saw once or something you read.

WoW is far from perfect, but its much farther from suck than 99% of the MMO's out there and I've played most of them.

Yes, that's why everyone clears hard mode content instantly (and previously high end raids) :rolleyes:
Oh wait, no, they don't, they don't even with months and months of practice and tactics given to them, only really small percent of players do, because they have mastered, or gotten close enough to mastering the game.

Most people don't care about hard mode because it just further wanking to a script. There is nothing hard about hard modes, merely more tedium.

Stop talking about WoW if you consider Arenas as the PvP content of the game. Sure, it's PvP in the sense you play against other players, but it's not WoW's PvP content as whole, and not the main part of it either.
The real PvP content is out in the world, though sadly not enough players tend to participate in it really excluding Wintergrasp. And then there's battlegrounds which are still closer to pvp than arenas, when they're played like they're meant to, not just rushed through

Arenas basically are WoW PvP. beyond winning/placing within a season there really isn't anything in game where PvP has any effect. By your own admission the others don't really exist.

Define real pvp please. I expect you've never actually played WoW at all. Certainly not any significant experience at PvE or PvP. You're just taking random jabs based on something you saw once or something you read.

WoW is far from perfect, but its much farther from suck than 99% of the MMO's out there and I've played most of them.

PvP as in actual player vs player will real effects within the game world spiraling into all aspects of a game. WoW isn't even PvP lite. As an example of real PvP you can look to things like EVE and the various korean race war MMOs.

WoW is just as much suck as most of the MMOs out there, the only difference is that it is easy and holds your hand at every corner and gets faster content updates due to the size of the user base.

PvP as in actual player vs player will real effects within the game world spiraling into all aspects of a game. WoW isn't even PvP lite. As an example of real PvP you can look to things like EVE and the various korean race war MMOs.

Thanks for the laugh.

Thanks for the laugh.

No, the laughing is all mine, people trying to talk like WoW is a PvP game is hilarious. PvP in WoW has as much affect on the rest of the game as winning one match of counterstrike has on the next match of counterstrike, aka none.

Most people don't care about hard mode because it just further wanking to a script. There is nothing hard about hard modes, merely more tedium.
Coordinating your actions close to perfection with others is definately hard.
Not to mention just simplest things like perfecting your damage / healing / tankingskill orders, theory is available for everyone, practice is a completely different world.

There's nothing "tedium" about 'em

Arenas basically are WoW PvP. beyond winning/placing within a season there really isn't anything in game where PvP has any effect. By your own admission the others don't really exist.

They exist, just not to the extent one would wish (ie hundreds of players being there always for it). BG's are still popular and only AV can be "rushed" really. And then there's Wintergrasp.

Aaron, I kindly suggest you just plain stfu about WoW in the future because it's clear to any seasoned player of that game that you are not. We now know you don't like it and don't think highly of it - fair enough. Everybody's entitled of an opinion.

However the arguments you use to support that opinion are so obviously bullshit and full of ignorance it's embarrassing to even read your posts.
You just don't plain know what you're talking about, your experience of the game is just as obviously extremely limited, and yet you persist in making broad sweeping statements. So since you seem unable to stop further embarrassing you on your own, I give you this simple suggestion to just pipe down. :D

It'll be better that way.

Aaron, I kindly suggest you just plain stfu about WoW in the future because it's clear to any seasoned player of that game that you are not. We now know you don't like it and don't think highly of it - fair enough. Everybody's entitled of an opinion.

However the arguments you use to support that opinion are so obviously bullshit and full of ignorance it's embarrassing to even read your posts.
You just don't plain know what you're talking about, your experience of the game is just as obviously extremely limited, and yet you persist in making broad sweeping statements. So since you seem unable to stop further embarrassing you on your own, I give you this simple suggestion to just pipe down. :D

It'll be better that way.

So what you are saying is that I'm correct in my criticism and you have no counter arguments and therefore want me to give up to make yourself feel better about playing WoW?

PvP? basically Arenas.
PvE? instanced and scripted

Nothing is dynamic, its a sterile, boring, tedious world. But its easy and brain dead, and some people find that fun. Then again, some people thought that ME2 was an improvement over ME1.

Back