PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

No, it's all in the flash. I think there's 256MB of flash available. I'm not sure how that's used exactly though, could be half of that contains a backup of the previous firmware. Maybe someone else knows exactly.

If you restore a PS3fat backup onto a PS3slim, does it transfer virtual memory cards for PS2 games?
Does it support the PS2 memory card adapter so I can copy the cards back out?

Rationale: I don't even own a PS2 memory card now, but I want to keep my saves, because I'll probably buy another PS2 at some point. If the PS3slim can harbor my PS2 save data in the meantime, that would make things easier.

If you restore a PS3fat backup onto a PS3slim, does it transfer virtual memory cards for PS2 games?
Does it support the PS2 memory card adapter so I can copy the cards back out?

Rationale: I don't even own a PS2 memory card now, but I want to keep my saves, because I'll probably buy another PS2 at some point. If the PS3slim can harbor my PS2 save data in the meantime, that would make things easier.
Keep it in a USB key (you have to manually select each one).

Anyone else's slim get fairly hot on the top-left and bottom (when lying horizontal)? Mine feels pretty hot. I had my PS3 lockup on me when I had it in a fairly small space, but it's been fine ever since I moved it to a larger space in my TV stand (where I had my launch unit).

Yes I noticed also that it gets pretty hot at least underneath. My unit is horizontally on top of my digital video recorder and the Slim makes it quite hot too.
Much hotter than what I thought it's going to be.

After playing KZ2, the noise level seems to be about the same as my sister's 80GB. I was hoping it would run a little cooler/quieter, but definitely an improvement over my launch unit.

Hmm, so no big improvement in noise, not as dramatic say as reports indicating that Slim consumes less than half the watts of the launch 60GB model?

Wondering if I should try to sell my 60 GB in exchange.

The fan noise on upscaled DVD playback is pretty loud.

Hmm, so no big improvement in noise, not as dramatic say as reports indicating that Slim consumes less than half the watts of the launch 60GB model?

Wondering if I should try to sell my 60 GB in exchange.

The fan noise on upscaled DVD playback is pretty loud.
I borrowed my sister's 80GB PS3 for a week as she was away on a trip and I sold my launch unit so I didn't have a PS3 for a month. Anyway, when I had it, I had it sitting vertically on my TV stand completely in the open. When I compared the noise level of my Slim to her 80GB PS3, I had my Slim in a tight space; since I moved it to the spot I had my launch unit (which is a larger space), it's a tad quieter than her 80GB and it's quite a bit quieter than my launch unit. It's more a whiny sound though due to the fact that it's a smaller fan.

Even though it uses half the power, it's in a smaller enclosure with a smaller fan, so it still gets hot. It would be really interesting to see what the core temperatures are in the slim vs the 80GB model; my guess is the 80GB PS3's might actually run a little cooler because of the larger fan and larger enclosure despite having the larger 65nm Cell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep it in a USB key (you have to manually select each one).
That doesn't solve the issue of getting the data back onto a PS2 memory card. For that, the PS3slim would still need to support the PS2 memory card adapter. I'd still like some confirmation on that :)

PS3s have been whisper quiet since the second revision so it's no real surprise it's not noticably any quieter.

That doesn't solve the issue of getting the data back onto a PS2 memory card. For that, the PS3slim would still need to support the PS2 memory card adapter. I'd still like some confirmation on that :)
You're right... :oops:
I suppose it supports that, because PS1 and PS2 memory cards have the same form factor, and all PS3 have PS1 BC.

You're right... :oops:
I suppose it supports that, because PS1 and PS2 memory cards have the same form factor, and all PS3 have PS1 BC.
Now that's a good point.

I just went ahead and ordered a PS3 slim. I'll have my PS3 fat for at least another week anyway. If it turns out my PS2 saves don't transfer, I can just get a PS2 memory card and use my PS3 fat to copy them over.

Received my PS3slim today... very excited. Will try it out when I get home, though I don't think I'll upgrade to the newest firmware just yet. ;) So, don't expect me online! :)

No official confirmation yet. Some say the Uncharted problem and white controller issue occurred only for Slim owners, but others denied it (because it didn't happen to them).

EDIT: Oops djskribbles deleted his post.

Now that's a good point.

I just went ahead and ordered a PS3 slim. I'll have my PS3 fat for at least another week anyway. If it turns out my PS2 saves don't transfer, I can just get a PS2 memory card and use my PS3 fat to copy them over.
Well, rethinking about, i suppose that PS3 slim have to support memory card adapter for PS1 saves, but also that it cannot store PS2 saves cause its inability to create PS2 virtual memory card on HD... :cry:

Well, the price was right and I finally bought a PS3 - $499 with the new Batman game (which I already have for 360) so I should get about $70-80 of that back once I hock it.

Downloading Wipeout now :) feel free to add me to your friends lists (say_nothing) and message me exclusive game recommendations.

I sent you a friend invite. Will send the Chat room invitation after that. It's usually empty but once in a blue moon, people will gather there.

I don´t think you will regret it. I just sold my old PS3 with PS2 BC to someone who needed it more than me. The slim has a really solid feel, looks better in my opinion and the reduced power draw helped a lot as well.

I still got the PS2 if PS2 BC in SW doesn´t show up and I get a urgent need to play PS2 games, but I haven´t got that need the last year. :smile:

It arrived! Blessed be DHL!

Box check: 340x160x340mm. 30% less volume than the original 60GB box.

Markings on the unit itself indicate (narrow) 220~240V input range.

I sent you a friend invite. Will send the Chat room invitation after that. It's usually empty but once in a blue moon, people will gather there.

I look in there fairly often anyway and others do too, but not as much as in the beginning ... ;)

Back