PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

Yes, the price will limit its penetration but I don't think Sony is targeting the Arcade folks. It's like asking is Elite after the same audience as Arcade, especially *if* Elite has a built-in Blu-ray player ?
Elite isn't targeting that audience because MS are offering two different products. Put it another way - are Sony targeting the Wii crowd? If not, why are they developing motion controls and minigames? Sony want everyone to buy PS3, but they only have one product on offer. They are trying to grow it's appeal to everyone, and wrestling to get prices down to be affordable. They are in direct competition with every other platform and aren't going to shrug off sales of other platforms saying 'we weren't wanting their money anyway.' I mean, if Ferrari don't sell cars to most people, they don't care. They know they aren't going to, and they aren't targeting all car owners, but only high-end sports car owners. But Sony aren't selling one type of product into a market with thousands of competing, carefully targeted options. There are three choices and the potential for a hundred+ million sales, and they want it all!

The slim PS2 was a significantly smaller console then the original. This one's barely smaller, which is of course no wonder and there really is nothing wrong with it. It's just not slim.
that's what I was always saying. This isn't a proper slimline model in the vein of the PSOne and PS2Slim shrinks. This is an interrim shrink. It's not gone from Normal to Slim, but from Obesse to Healthy. A smaller PS3 will appear in a few years I'm sure.

Apparently the slim does not allow the installation of 'Other OS'. That's a shame.

I'd take that as confirmation that they'll be losing enough money on each one they can't afford to have institutions buying them up to build super-computers on the cheap.

Elite isn't targeting that audience because MS are offering two different products. Put it another way - are Sony targeting the Wii crowd? If not, why are they developing motion controls and minigames? Sony want everyone to buy PS3, but they only have one product on offer. They are trying to grow it's appeal to everyone, and wrestling to get prices down to be affordable. They are in direct competition with every other platform and aren't going to shrug off sales of other platforms saying 'we weren't wanting their money anyway.' I mean, if Ferrari don't sell cars to most people, they don't care. They know they aren't going to, and they aren't targeting all car owners, but only high-end sports car owners. But Sony aren't selling one type of product into a market with thousands of competing, carefully targeted options. There are three choices and the potential for a hundred+ million sales, and they want it all!

PS3 is not targeting the Wii crowd. That's for sure.

They added Wii-style motion control because Sony has always been interested in the field (See SIXAXIS, EyeToy, PSEye). They felt that Nintendo's approach sticks better with people in general, and so they incorporate it into their product. They are still targeting very different people. The line may begin to blur with price drop, but we will need to see follow up from marketing, available games and consumed games (consumption habits) to see where they go.

hm... Should be just right for stacking now... despite the 360 top vents being blocked, it may end up creating a better vacuum for those fans in the 360. At least I know the 360 won't be crushed and the PSlim3 won't extend past the 360 dimensions. :]

The Slim is still bigger than the 360 in length.

I can't believe all of you got this wrong, the press release clearly states "... trimmed down to approximately two-thirds...", not by two-thirds.. which means it will still consume ~110 Watts, like the current 80/160GB models, which probably means still 65nm for both cell and rsx..

not really, original ps3 was 200W, your logic would put slim to 200W*0.667, which is around 133W. Quite a bit more than 80GB ps3...

If the 80GB ps3 was the cooler one then that raises a lot of questions, the least one not being how the hw got warmer and still shrank in size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the price will limit its penetration but I don't think Sony is targeting the Arcade folks. It's like asking is Elite after the same audience as Arcade, especially *if* Elite has a built-in Blu-ray player ?

Both the Arcade and Elite already effectively have built in hd movies players, they just happen to call it Netflix instead of blu-ray, and it happens to also work on the $199 unit as well. Hence, both the $300 Elite and PS3 are definitely competing against the $199 Arcade. You can bet the same audience is looking at all three machines and buying based on budget. Or the more savvy folk will just get the $199 Arcade, and snag an hdd online for $30.

It's not gone from Normal to Slim, but from Obesse to Healthy. A smaller PS3 will appear in a few years I'm sure.

Exactly. This looks more like what most of us expected the launch system to be... which reinforces my feeling that it's a sort of a re-launch for the PS3, when you combine it with the tone and the other announcements made today.

It's a bit scary too, that it took this much time to turn Sony's boat into a much better direction.

Both the Arcade and Elite already effectively have built in hd movies players, they just happen to call it Netflix instead of blu-ray, and it happens to also work on the $199 unit as well. Hence, both the $300 Elite and PS3 are definitely competing against the $199 Arcade. You can bet the same audience is looking at all three machines and buying based on budget. Or the more savvy folk will just get the $199 Arcade, and snag an hdd online for $30.

They will always compete for dollars spent in the general sense, even including PC, PS2, Wii, PSP and DS. But that does not mean Sony is aiming PS3 at Xbox 360 Arcade folks (What for ? :D). If they are buying budget, they may also prefer to rent games and buy used games more. Or the Arcade may be a second machine (player only) to another Elite in the same household. It'd be wiser to target the folks who are willing to spend for quality products first.

Ok, I think that's stretching it a little - but even then, that's presuming Live Gold and the U.S. In Europe or in Silver, there's no Netflix, right?

Back