[XBLA] Trials HD

This game definately deserves it's own thread! This is taking pretty much all my free time currently :smile: I just spend about three hours trying to get a decent run at Rock'n'Drop and finally I got it where I can be happy, 824 currently in world rankings. Watching the top replays on different tracks is absolutely mindboggling...

Thank you Sebbbi and your team for giving this great game to us!

Just got Up and Go and Inferno II to beat on extreme. I'm not going for time or anything. I just wanna beat em :(

I'm back to vacation and I could try the demo at last, I liked it.
I now have to buy Ms points because I've some games to buy (shadow complex, trial HD and some older ones.)
Kudos to Sebbi and his team as well as red lynx studio as a whole.

I'm going back through beginner to medium, trying to get platinum trophies or improve my times. Then I'll head back to hard, and then Extreme. I've beat two of the Extreme tracks, but it wasn't pretty. I need to work on a few mechanics before I'll ever be able to beat those without hundreds of faults.

I'm going back through beginner to medium, trying to get platinum trophies or improve my times. Then I'll head back to hard, and then Extreme. I've beat two of the Extreme tracks, but it wasn't pretty. I need to work on a few mechanics before I'll ever be able to beat those without hundreds of faults.

no damn you! I'm finally seeing my name on the Friends board since you guys have moved onto higher difficulties and now you pull this chit? ;):p :devilish:

you have some nice runs there, btw.

Awesome game. perfect XBLA title.

I have to go through the easier ones again. Trying the extreme tracks is like banging my head against a wall. I don't have the basic mechanics solid enough to get through a few of the obstacles. I need to get better at the basics, like landing solid without bouncing, having better stability driving up steep inclines etc.

After playing too much of this game I am really looking forward to a sequal. Specifically one with MP. At first glance the game doesn't appear very compatible with MP but I can see a number of ways to do it, and to do it very well.

"Excitebike" Style. Taking a que from Excitebike tracks would be 4 lanes or so deep. The only added mechanic would be the left analog stick up/down would change lanes. This means new courses that couldn't be done on Trials HD and is a good excuse for a sequal! This would also be a good excuse for an outdoor setting. This would also work well with SP as you could race AI or ghosts of the racers around you in the global standings (maybe even allow you to select racer ghosts). When players crash they either go to a check point or become invisible and go "offroad" for a small 2-3 second penalty.

"Trackmania" Style. This would work well with the current check point system and maps. Essentially everyone races at the same time but are "ghosts" to eachother (not bumping). This works surprisingly well in Trackmania.

"Party Games" Style. Mainly for the skills challenges, a series of events (1 to 5 attempts each), where the best cumulative score wins. The game could use controller swap for single-console and for online tournaments/party games you would all run at the same time and after your attempts you would go to a "score" screen where you can see the standings in real time.

"Coop" Mode. A small set of courses with two bikes where you must work together to pass check points. Using techniques like the courses where you have to knock down walls, activate swinging ramps, etc the design would be oriented toward coop.

Of course with MP content you could sell expansions ever 3-6 months with new courses to keep the experience fresh. To differentiate from user created content you could add new props, settings, skill games, etc.

I bought the game as well, last Friday night. It's a very addictive time-sink, before I knew it I'd played for 4 hours straight and got cramps all over the place. One of the few games where I actually miss the PS3 controller, because it's very well suited to this kind of game where the 360's controller suddenly doesn't feel nearly as accurate as say in the average shooter (I loved it in Bioshock). But anyway, love the game (this is definitely more my kind of game than Shadow Complex) and it makes me want to put more of you guys on my friendslist for the competition - I think I did manage some decent times here and there in the earlier levels at least.
It gets pretty hard though ... the skill levels are aptly named. :)

@Joshua, yes, good suggestions. And I do also hope the level sharing gets updated sometime. The way it works right now makes that part of this game almost completely useless to me. For instance, noone on my friendslist is sharing any custom tracks, so I have no custom tracks to try out. Shame.

DLC in development. :D

Eurogamer

Trials HD mastermind RedLynx is working on new content for the XBLA game right now.

"There's going to be DLC," the company told Console Arcade. "We are working on it right now as we speak."

Gamerbytes

Trials HD has done incredibly well, and currently has more players on the Leaderboards than any other Summer Of Arcade title – sporting over 246,000 players by the end of August.

This is an incredible success story for RedLynx. In fact, looking up the Leadeboards for Trials 2 on the PC, it has only 74,000 players on its high score tables. Trials HD has done over 3 times that in less than a month, and at $5 more, with no sale in place. This is fantastic news for the Finnish developer.

Trials HD is the most sold arcade game this week by Xbox official news source Major Nelson. Trials HD outsold Shadow Complex too, and only one week after the Shadow Complex release! Trials HD is also the only arcade game to reach the top 10 most played Xbox 360 games list (rated by invidual consoles connected to Xbox Live).

See the official news here:
http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2009/09/08/live-activity-for-week-of-aug-31st.aspx

Also we are nearing one month (30 days) milestone in Trials HD life time, and it's very likely that we will break 300 000 player limit in global ranking leaderboard before the first month, making Trials HD more successful than the all time top XBLA seller Castle Crashers in it's first month :). Beating Shadow complex on first month sales will be much harder, but lets see how it goes...

Yes, congrats. I got my friend addicted this weekend and he will be picking this up. We both agreed if it had MP it would be GotY :p No, we really mean that though. Absolutely amazing game, extremely fun, very accessible, amazingly challenging, and it has that addictive bent. I am slowly being drawn back into more social gaming hence my craving to bring more social gameplay to this franchise. It is funny how such a "simple" game can be done so well.

Also we are nearing one month (30 days) milestone in Trials HD life time, and it's very likely that we will break 300 000 player limit in global ranking leaderboard before the first month, making Trials HD more successful than the all time top XBLA seller Castle Crashers in it's first month :). Beating Shadow complex on first month sales will be much harder, but lets see how it goes...

Congrats, also on that other thing again ;) and welcome back!

Well, I didn't get (and won't be getting) Shadow Complex, so that's one sale towards beating it! ;)

Yeah this is just a wonderful success story. Huge kudos. Crossing fingers you guys can beat Shadow Complex for first month sales. :D

I think PC was hurt most by the pirating. I saw it on quite a few torrent sites despite the low cost, I think most people on PC just pirated it. Sad state of affairs on the PC. Appears to be going the route of the Amiga.

Regards,
SB

Holy crap! I didn't know Sebbi worked on this game. Going to buy it for sure now. Don't mind supporting devs who hang out here and share info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Great game, Sebbi and crew! Maddeningly addictive.

(. . . must . . . beat . . . Klocker!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back