Dead Nation PSN game by Housemarque

We didn't have any problems with Dead Space though. Even God of War 3 (which is in my humble opinion the most sadistic, gory and violent game in existence right now) got released in all its glory.
Germany is incredibly unpredictable and inconsistent when it comes to game releases.

Yeah, exactly...that is the point.
You really don't know when a game is censored in Germany - GOW3 is released (don't get me wrong: it is the right decision, IMO...because they sell it to age 18 and above gamer!) and Dead Nation is not?!?

Dead Nations = bitter disappointment. It's a Sony first party and they still can't get bloody voice chat! What kind of useless, friend morons release online games with no means to communicate?! I'm angry that I was stupid enough to believe it would be inevitable. The online system is also pretty crap, having to invite per mission instead of forming a party with communication and progressing together. How difficult can it be?! Just grab ND's Uncharted 2 code and copy that if your too inept to write your own basic online system! Geez, it's limited to friggin' two players, so it's not like there are lots of network issues.

Yeah, that is disappointing - Housemarque should lead the way in these things. The only saving grace that I can think of is that it was at a very late stage decided to not release the game before online co-op was in there, which already caused them to miss Thanksgiving. My hope is that they ran out of time to get it more polished an experience, and we'll still get it. Let's all complain on the official blog ... (seriously). I can't unbuy the game (and to be honest, I will probably be playing it offline anyway), but I want this type of stuff in there.

By the way, GT5 at least has excellent voice chat (you can even set the base quality to your own preference).

:LOL::LOL:

Well you might want to consider changing your name to Bitter Geezer instead, lol.
:D
Sounds like maybe games just aren't right for you anymore. No matter what, games will always, and I mean ALWAYS have shortcomings. It's up to you to decide if you're willing to look over them if it will mean you can actually enjoy the game, instead of harping on one issue, destroying your experience because you have convinced yourself it's game breaking.
Hang on, we're not talking a missing or bugged feature here. We're missing a fundamental part of online gaming, as fundamental as seats are in a car. I mean, a car is designed to get you from A to B, and with wheels and an engine it'll do that, but it'll be a crap ride. Any game supposedly offering online needs some basic features, or it's not providing a good service. You can't categorise missing online chat alongside flickery shadows or the occassional glitched side-quest that can't be completed.

Some things I understand, but saying a game is a bitter disappointment because it doesn't have voice chat (currently) absolutely is over the top.
The disapoointment doesn't come from this game in isolation. It comes from game after game not providing a decent online experience, and every time I buy an online game, I foolishly believe the developers are learning and improving, or Sony are learning and improving, but they're not. Hence it's mountind disappointment 3 years after buying a PS3 with the expectation of playing online with my real life buddies.

Dead Nation is still a very fun and rewarding game as a single player experience.
That's a kinda silly argument. That's like buying a pair of boots expecting them to be waterproof, finding they're not, and then someone saying they'll still make a wonderful flower pot to grow strawberries. Unless you're Mary Poppins, your going to be annoyed when expectations aren't met and products you've bought for a reason don't do what they are supposed to. That's the reason why words like 'disappoinment' exist in every language, because it is a natural human emotion.

Dead Nations was bought for the online coop. If it didn't have online coop, I would not have bought it; I don't particularly care for a solo shooter. So whatever it offers as a solo experience is a complete waste on me. Same with Alien Breed. Same with Warhawk. Same with Age of Booty, and all the others. If I wanted a solo game to play on my own, I'd have bought something else entirely. The rest of the game is therefore no consolation. Do you see where I'm coming from?

Any reviews anywhere? I have limited amount to spend and I need to get Beat Sketchers for my Niece and I am torn between DeathSpank and Dead Nation. No demo isn't helping either.

@Shifty: see my post here. Everyone here should go there and echo this sentiment. They do listen and these Finnish people are proud people and have pioneered just about every feature known to PSN, But we should make a loud voice, to make sure they pay attention.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010...-week-eradicate-the-infection/#comment-119835

Hah, I pasted the link to Shifty's outburst in the US Blog yesterday. ^_^

EDIT:
Here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...-the-infection/comment-page-3/#comment-488327
(Look at the long list of voice chat demand…)

Voice chat coming soon to Dead Nation
We here at Housemarque sincerely apologise that Voice Chat is not available in Dead Nation‘s online co-op mode. Following player demand for this feature, the team is currently working intensely to introduce it as quickly as possible. In the meantime, we’re keen to get as much feedback on the game as possible so we can further improve what we think is a great zombie game

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooray! People power! Kudos to Housemarque for listening and reacting, unlike certain other developers, and making this game the most it can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Dead Nation is not releasing in Germany!!??!!?!?!

My new account is a German Account...lame, lame!!

And its the German account with the +, and not my Austrian one...

Why, why?!?!?

Is this God's way to tell me not to live in Germany?!?

:cry:

...so no purchase in my case!!

I feared I could not get it at all since I don`t have a credit card anymore that I used in the US store.
So I got a PSN card code from ebay via @mail , downloading the game now...whew

So I finally got round to playing the first level of this game yesterday, and WOW! This game is even prettier and smoother than I expected from the videos. The lighting, shadows, fog, sounds, bodies piling up everywhere, interactive objects you can run into and interact with - you can interact with a few things using your very useful and satisfying melee system.

Holy ... these graphics are on a completely different level, and everything except maybe some of the menus inbetween is incredibly polished. I felt myself instantly wanting every other game like this one ever made to be remade using this engine. Also because the whole horror stick isn't really my preferred theme, so it made me long for a less bloody and violent skin for this game :LOL:

All the other details are petty smooth sailing also - shooting is very satisfying even (or especially?) with the default gun (which thankfully has unlimited ammo). I love how a single charged up shot can rift through a great number of weak enemies.

Good stuff, and the level scoring with friendslist compare is going to make it more satisfying to replay the levels too.

Yes, getting past the upset, now that voice chat is coming, looking at the game as a whole it's markedly improved over the beta stuff I was seeing. The lighting is very smooth and the wholely dynamic nature really elevates the horror scenario, with some occassions of completely black requiring you to look frantically around with your torchlight. the fog is also suitably errie and convincing. There was a great moment with a shadow being just of a zombie off screen, indicating their presence. The mechanics are smooth, with remarkable parallels to Alien Breed but without the clumsiness, so for example, the character slides around obstacles instead of sticking.

While waiting to VC to play properly, I've been playing on Braindead mode just to collect some trophies, like "complete a level without taking damage," and the experience may be watered down as a result. Still, the weaopns and stuff do seem a bit redundant. The main rifle is normally the weapon of choice as there are no ammo limits. Use of a shotgun doesn't really get you out of a tight spot and better than a few charged shots, or more importantly a flare chucked down to lure the zombies away, and then a grenade to finish them off. The weapon variety really doesn't serve much purpose, and as it's on a linear list it takes some time to swap, meaning in the thick of it, switching weapons can be a bad move.

Weaopns so far :
SMG - quick firing, kills no faster than more powerful rifle
Shotgun - kills a few at a time, no faster than rifle
Flamer - efficient in that it spreads, Good to hit some in a pack and burn the whole lot
Blade gun - kills a broad column, but the zombies are rarely that nicely packed, and the rifles charged shots achieve much the same. Very limited ammo
Rocket launcher - blows a large group, limited ammo, and you want to use at a distance. Chances are by the time you see a group large enough to warrant the rocket, they'll be rushing you.

I imagine the harder levels will require more variety though, such as needing a point-blank shotgun for some of the tougher zombies. I can see coop having better focus on weaopns where one player could focus on flamer, and the other shotgun, as it were, and take roles.

Another awkwardness is the hiding of money in cars. Theoretically it means tactical choices whether to blow the car or collect the cash. In practice I find it means I always run in and grab the cash first as that's more important. I also don't like just shooting into zombies because I might hit a car off screen and lose the money. I've not managed to find 100% hidden loot in any level.

The zombies have some variety but not a huge amount. Well, they are zombies. You have quick ones, harder to kill ones, and the ocassional mini-boss sort, but it's bang-bang-bang all the same.

There's also no guide for the game, which is odd. I found by experimentation what the screamer-type zombies do. There's no Field Guide to Zombies that you normally get in this sort of game. Alien Breed has it's aliend descriptors, for example. Then you have the armour types which leave you guessing what the 3 stats do. Okay, speed is an obvious one. Strength I guess is melee power. Endurance could be health or how much you stamina you have, though I guess the fomer given a wall icon. Without clear guides you either guess or experiment, and experimentation is made awkward by having to choose armour between checkpoints. If you don't like your choice, you have to stick with it to the next checkpoint.

Another problem with coop is when a player dies, they become a spectator with no way to reenter the fray until the remaining player reaches a checkpoint. This can be 5 to 10 minutes. They really want a support mechanic to add to teamwork, where the other player has to come rescue them. Uncharted 2 did this well.

I agree very much with Arwin's sentiments about the engine. This would be a great engine for a dungeon crawler. The dynamic lighting and shadowing is excellent for spell effects and moody corridors. You ahve to admire Housemarque's ability to extract detail that PS3 isn't known for. Lots and lots of body bits, clean lighting, clean shadowing, loads of particles, smooth fog. We see a lot of reduced resolution buffers but none of that is seen here. It would be a crying shame for this to be the only game built around this tech. I wonder if their next cross-platform title is built on this or something separate?

/ramblings!

Yes, getting past the upset, now that voice chat is coming, looking at the game as a whole it's markedly improved over the beta stuff I was seeing. The lighting is very smooth and the wholely dynamic nature really elevates the horror scenario, with some occassions of completely black requiring you to look frantically around with your torchlight. the fog is also suitably errie and convincing. There was a great moment with a shadow being just of a zombie off screen, indicating their presence. The mechanics are smooth, with remarkable parallels to Alien Breed but without the clumsiness, so for example, the character slides around obstacles instead of sticking.

While waiting to VC to play properly, I've been playing on Braindead mode just to collect some trophies, like "complete a level without taking damage," and the experience may be watered down as a result. Still, the weaopns and stuff do seem a bit redundant. The main rifle is normally the weapon of choice as there are no ammo limits. Use of a shotgun doesn't really get you out of a tight spot and better than a few charged shots, or more importantly a flare chucked down to lure the zombies away, and then a grenade to finish them off. The weapon variety really doesn't serve much purpose, and as it's on a linear list it takes some time to swap, meaning in the thick of it, switching weapons can be a bad move.

Weaopns so far :
SMG - quick firing, kills no faster than more powerful rifle
Shotgun - kills a few at a time, no faster than rifle
Flamer - efficient in that it spreads, Good to hit some in a pack and burn the whole lot
Blade gun - kills a broad column, but the zombies are rarely that nicely packed, and the rifles charged shots achieve much the same. Very limited ammo
Rocket launcher - blows a large group, limited ammo, and you want to use at a distance. Chances are by the time you see a group large enough to warrant the rocket, they'll be rushing you.

I imagine the harder levels will require more variety though, such as needing a point-blank shotgun for some of the tougher zombies. I can see coop having better focus on weaopns where one player could focus on flamer, and the other shotgun, as it were, and take roles.

Another awkwardness is the hiding of money in cars. Theoretically it means tactical choices whether to blow the car or collect the cash. In practice I find it means I always run in and grab the cash first as that's more important. I also don't like just shooting into zombies because I might hit a car off screen and lose the money. I've not managed to find 100% hidden loot in any level.

The zombies have some variety but not a huge amount. Well, they are zombies. You have quick ones, harder to kill ones, and the ocassional mini-boss sort, but it's bang-bang-bang all the same.

There's also no guide for the game, which is odd. I found by experimentation what the screamer-type zombies do. There's no Field Guide to Zombies that you normally get in this sort of game. Alien Breed has it's aliend descriptors, for example. Then you have the armour types which leave you guessing what the 3 stats do. Okay, speed is an obvious one. Strength I guess is melee power. Endurance could be health or how much you stamina you have, though I guess the fomer given a wall icon. Without clear guides you either guess or experiment, and experimentation is made awkward by having to choose armour between checkpoints. If you don't like your choice, you have to stick with it to the next checkpoint.

Another problem with coop is when a player dies, they become a spectator with no way to reenter the fray until the remaining player reaches a checkpoint. This can be 5 to 10 minutes. They really want a support mechanic to add to teamwork, where the other player has to come rescue them. Uncharted 2 did this well.

I agree very much with Arwin's sentiments about the engine. This would be a great engine for a dungeon crawler. The dynamic lighting and shadowing is excellent for spell effects and moody corridors. You ahve to admire Housemarque's ability to extract detail that PS3 isn't known for. Lots and lots of body bits, clean lighting, clean shadowing, loads of particles, smooth fog. We see a lot of reduced resolution buffers but none of that is seen here. It would be a crying shame for this to be the only game built around this tech. I wonder if their next cross-platform title is built on this or something separate?

/ramblings!

If you're playing on Brain Dead, you won't find the useful nature of each and every weapon, and they are far from redundant. For instance, It takes time to do a repeat charge shot, where as a shotgun blast can take out the same number of enemies instantly. On top of that, if you funnel enemies into a tight spot, the shotgun is devastating.

Another great reason to swap weapons is running out of ammo. Later in the game (on normal or higher) you will run into hoards that are stronger and require constant fire to surpress, so reloading isn't an immediate option, so you have to know the sequence of your weapons (which is always the same, no matter what order you purchase in).

I think you need to move up in difficulty so you can value each weapon, because they definitely have been designed to offer their benefits for very specific situations, with the Rifle being a jack of all trades, master of none.

By the way, the engine (and as a consequence, the look) hasn't changed by any significant margin :p I told you guy's it was pretty ages ago, and youtube vids don't tell the whole truth, lol.

Definitely though, you really need to play on Normal or higher, as Braindead really doesn't give you any reason to anything and is extremely uninteresting.

Just loaded this up and the online rankings are showing that the weigting has changed. Finland is number 1 with 76% zombies cleared. USA is second at 75%. UK has dropped to 8th, despite being 2nd in the total number of zombies killed stakes. Don't understand how it's ranked now, but at least it's not Biggest Number Of Players Wins.

Just loaded this up and the online rankings are showing that the weigting has changed. Finland is number 1 with 76% zombies cleared. USA is second at 75%. UK has dropped to 8th, despite being 2nd in the total number of zombies killed stakes. Don't understand how it's ranked now, but at least it's not Biggest Number Of Players Wins.

I think the cycles vary in size based on the player base, so larger player bases would have a "bigger" cycle thus needing to kill more zombies in order to compete.

Finals have taken their toal on my gaming time lately. I'd like to think that the drop for the USA lies on my shoulders as a professional zombie killer. That will be rectified on Tuesday for sure.

Finland were slowing pulling away from the US. Poland and Russia were climbing the fastest. I'd like to know what the formula is. and what happens in cycle 2 etc.? Just more point climbing? Or are they offering something more impressive?

Like always, some of the scores are insane. The leader is an American with 3.1 billion points.

Back