Dead Nation PSN game by Housemarque

Looks like it will be up two weeks from now, with a $3 rebate for Plus subscribers (11,99 instead of 14,99). So Billy Idol, your Killzone Beta just got $3 cheaper. ;)

ha ha, probably true :D

can you confirm, that stuff you buy cheap with plus is only available as long as you are subscribed?

but I am indeed interested in Dead Nations, because of the online coop...if you buy it to, we can team up :smile:

as far as I know, 3D wasn't talked about...right?

can you confirm, that stuff you buy cheap with plus is only available as long as you are subscribed?

Whatever discounts you get for PSN purchases made while a Plus subscriber are still in place if you choose to stop your subscription.

However, the "free" stuff you get as part of your PSN subscription will no longer be available once that subscription ends.

Whatever discounts you get for PSN purchases made while a Plus subscriber are still in place if you choose to stop your subscription.

However, the "free" stuff you get as part of your PSN subscription will no longer be available once that subscription ends.

ah, thanks a lot for the info!!
makes sense and is much better than the version I thought of...

Got it, played the first level. Found the controls a little glitchy which sucks, the Robotron feel is broken by the R1 shoot mechanics and dead zone size (needs to be larger). I kept finding my last shooting position reset which meant that I had to hold R1 more than is comfortable. The SMG would get around this a bit except is has limited ammo. Lighting was too dark on my projector and you have to exit the game to adjust gamma.

So far, an OK experience but not great. Will have to see how co-op works to pass judgement (could easily knock it up a level or two if fun).

Cheers

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Dead Nation is not releasing in Germany!!??!!?!?!

My new account is a German Account...lame, lame!!

And its the German account with the +, and not my Austrian one...

Why, why?!?!?

Is this God's way to tell me not to live in Germany?!?

:cry:

...so no purchase in my case!!

Really? That's rubbish. I know their censorship of games is heavy, but zombies? I just bought this - online coop = sale! Plus it's only £10 versus $15 in the US, which makes it a bargain.

Really? That's rubbish. I know their censorship of games is heavy, but zombies? I just bought this - online coop = sale! Plus it's only £10 versus $15 in the US, which makes it a bargain.

From what I understand, if pieces of meat fly around in a game ... and if I saw the gameplay correctly, that's kind of a big thing in this game. :LOL:

Those rankings don't make much sense to me. I mean, they're obvious, but the US has more monster killers and has been on for longer. So looking at the rankings now as I await my friend to come online, USA is ranked 1 with 9.4M zombies killed, 4,289 recruits (if that's people who have bought the game, it's really NOT looking good! IF it's people online at the moment, that might no be so bad); Canada second with 1.5 M zombies killed, 737 recruits; UK 3rd with 500k zombies, 487 recruits. This is very unlikely to change, making the rankings utterly irrelevant. There ought to be a performance per player or something - some better stat than just number of people playing. To be population comparative, it should be the EU versus NA or something.

Edit: Germany is ranked fourth, 250k zombies killed, 159 recruits.

From what I understand, if pieces of meat fly around in a game ... and if I saw the gameplay correctly, that's kind of a big thing in this game. :LOL:

We didn't have any problems with Dead Space though. Even God of War 3 (which is in my humble opinion the most sadistic, gory and violent game in existence right now) got released in all its glory.
Germany is incredibly unpredictable and inconsistent when it comes to game releases.

Dead Nations = bitter disappointment. It's a Sony first party and they still can't get bloody voice chat! What kind of useless, friend morons release online games with no means to communicate?! I'm angry that I was stupid enough to believe it would be inevitable. The online system is also pretty crap, having to invite per mission instead of forming a party with communication and progressing together. How difficult can it be?! Just grab ND's Uncharted 2 code and copy that if your too inept to write your own basic online system! Geez, it's limited to friggin' two players, so it's not like there are lots of network issues.

Dead Nations = bitter disappointment. It's a Sony first party and they still can't get bloody voice chat! What kind of useless, friend morons release online games with no means to communicate?! I'm angry that I was stupid enough to believe it would be inevitable. The online system is also pretty crap, having to invite per mission instead of forming a party with communication and progressing together. How difficult can it be?! Just grab ND's Uncharted 2 code and copy that if your too inept to write your own basic online system! Geez, it's limited to friggin' two players, so it's not like there are lots of network issues.

...over reaction much?

There was apparently a bug that somehow made it into the PSN build, and the patch to correct it is in certification now. This particular bug prevents voice chat from working.

...hopefully you can calm down now :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24664503&postcount=203

Even if it didn't have voice chat, the game itself is so polished and well done, I think it's a bit over the top to say it's a "bitter disappointment"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but a party system should be doable by now.

It's not that easy, and it is extremely naive to think that juts because of the current time frame, that it's "easy" and "doable". Different studios of different sizes have different amounts of resources. Nothing is free, and honestly them putting in online play on top of the game was already probably a big bump on their budget. Games aren't made for free, and expecting every game on every platform to have all of the same features is too much, in my opinion.

Even if it didn't have voice chat, the game itself is so polished and well done, I think it's a bit over the top to say it's a "bitter disappointment"...
No it is not. It must be nice being you, going through life without a single complaint against anything and always rallying against those of us who point out the annoyances of various games, but a lot of us want things to be better than they are and all we can do about it is voice our grievances and describe how we feel. I've just come off the game feeling angry, and I'm not by nature an angry person, but I'm sick to death of the relatively shite online service on PS3 and lack of addressing these issues.

Pretty much every game we get on PSN to play coop tends to have some fatal flaw, and it's mind-numbingly stupid design and creation that no-one who gives a seconds' thought to supporting online gaming with friends could miss. "Gaming online with friends, huh? I guess it's all about recreating the same-room coop experience, but online. So they'll want to meet up, stay together through the game, chatting merrily as they play." The solution is unmissable - form a party and enable voice chat. The lack of both is disgraceful and shows a developer who doesn't care to support sociable online gaming.

If it's a bug, and its fixed, then good. But Alien Breed never got a patch, nor have many other titles we've bought to play online together, so what reason would someone have to expect this to be different? Furthermore how can you miss something as obvious as missing voice chat?! Did not a single person think to test the onlince chat code? I bought a game sold as supporting online coop out of the 'box' and it doesn't do a good job; one of a list of many, and my patience is worn very thin as a result.

It's not that easy, and it is extremely naive to think that juts because of the current time frame, that it's "easy" and "doable". Different studios of different sizes have different amounts of resources. Nothing is free, and honestly them putting in online play on top of the game was already probably a big bump on their budget. Games aren't made for free, and expecting every game on every platform to have all of the same features is too much, in my opinion.
It's two players! They already have two players teaming up to play together per mission. Just change it from having to join every mission to sticking together for each mission, exactly the same as the offline coop. Or in offline coop, does the second player have to ask to join the game again each and every time? As for development costs, the cost of adding voice chat and partying systems should be negligable because Sony should be providing the necessary libs.

That's true. They delayed the game to implement co-op, which is nice.

Sony share codes. There are many good party system examples already. There is little need to reinvent the wheel.

No it is not. It must be nice being you, going through life without a single complaint against anything and always rallying against those of us who point out the annoyances of various games, but a lot of us want things to be better than they are and all we can do about it is voice our grievances and describe how we feel. I've just come off the game feeling angry, and I'm not by nature an angry person, but I'm sick to death of the relatively shite online service on PS3 and lack of addressing these issues.

Pretty much every game we get on PSN to play coop tends to have some fatal flaw, and it's mind-numbingly stupid design and creation that no-one who gives a seconds' thought to supporting online gaming with friends could miss. "Gaming online with friends, huh? I guess it's all about recreating the same-room coop experience, but online. So they'll want to meet up, stay together through the game, chatting merrily as they play." The solution is unmissable - form a party and enable voice chat. The lack of both is disgraceful and shows a developer who doesn't care to support sociable online gaming.

If it's a bug, and its fixed, then good. But Alien Breed never got a patch, nor have many other titles we've bought to play online together, so what reason would someone have to expect this to be different? Furthermore how can you miss something as obvious as missing voice chat?! Did not a single person think to test the onlince chat code? I bought a game sold as supporting online coop out of the 'box' and it doesn't do a good job; one of a list of many, and my patience is worn very thin as a result.

It's two players! They already have two players teaming up to play together per mission. Just change it from having to join every mission to sticking together for each mission, exactly the same as the offline coop. Or in offline coop, does the second player have to ask to join the game again each and every time? As for development costs, the cost of adding voice chat and partying systems should be negligable because Sony should be providing the necessary libs.

:LOL::LOL:

Well you might want to consider changing your name to Bitter Geezer instead, lol. Sounds like maybe games just aren't right for you anymore. No matter what, games will always, and I mean ALWAYS have shortcomings. It's up to you to decide if you're willing to look over them if it will mean you can actually enjoy the game, instead of harping on one issue, destroying your experience because you have convinced yourself it's game breaking.

Some things I understand, but saying a game is a bitter disappointment because it doesn't have voice chat (currently) absolutely is over the top . The game is still very very enjoyable, plays very well, and they've eliminated a TON of the bugs that were present in the beta. Hell, they even tweaked enemy encounters, spawn points, and many other things in order to make it a much better game (which is turned out to be).

If it's nice being me, then it must be hell being you (as a gamer).

To be clear, yes it sucks when games don't have features you want, but it happens a lot on all platforms, period. PC is really the only platform that can occasionally be "immune" to this since people set up servers, make mods, or you can download 3rd party software to give you what you want. Both PS3, 360, and the Wii have games that are lacking in features here or there. It's common, and shit happens. Dead Nation is still a very fun and rewarding game as a single player experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a TPS shooter ? or an adventure game ? I haven't been tracking this game because I think some of you are on top of it.

Is it a TPS shooter ? or an adventure game ? I haven't been tracking this game because I think some of you are on top of it.

It's a "third person" shooter, so to speak. It has an isometric view (ala Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Diablo, etc). It controls similar to normal twin stick shooters, in that, you have to use your left stick to move, and your right stick to aim. An interesting mechanic is that you run slower while you aim, so if you need a fast evacuation, you have to stop shooting or you'll move too slow to escape the zombies.

There is also an evasive manuver, a "sprint" that will get you out of a bind quickly, as well as knocks over a few zombies, but will drain your stamina meter and requires a recharge before use.

It isn't an arena shooter though. Each level has many different areas, generally split up by check points that are used to restock ammo, upgrade weapons, and change armor. At each checkpoint, your health is refilled, and you are met with a new wave of undead target practice.

There are many types of zombies, some requiring nothing to kill (these are literally losing flesh as they walk, no clothes, just heaps of meat and bone) and some needing more (fat zombies, or strong ones, usually bigger people). Then there are special types, like a really huge zombie that explodes if he gets to close, and also explodes when you kill him. There are two "boss" zombie types, one with huge muscles (looks like a tank from L4D) and another that has two giant pieces of metal on his arms and will slice you in half if he catches you.

Overall, the movement / shooting mechanics combined with the large variety of weapons and upgradability offer a considerable amount of replay value, even for the the guy not looking for online action (because the leaderboards are extremely competitive, like SSHD).

I know I'll personally be playing this for a long while. Plus, the fact that Sony allowed them to include a Platinum Trophy is awesome, because more achievements, for me, is more reason to continue coming back to the game. Also glad to see them carry on the Zombie Genocide achievement / trophy, awesome awareness on their part (though their number was off by one digit, lol).

Back