Win Vista/7 LAN SMB issue (event 2017)

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
Has anyone else run into a periodic issue of XP clients connecting to a Vista/7 machine and eventually having that Vista/7 machine become inaccessible to the XP machines? I've been having this problem sporadically for a very long time. I've found that the solution is to reboot the Vista/7 machine.

I finally decided to really dig into it and looked around in the Event Viewer of my Win 7 machine that I share lots of files on. In there I found a large number of Event 2017 errors.
Code:
The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the server reached the configured limit for nonpaged pool allocations.
So I Googled this up and found that it is an issue people have been having with Vista forever and obviously it has not been fixed with 7. Something happens with SMB2 between the NT6 machine and the older XP OS.
For ex: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...g/thread/60e9515b-0d42-4d83-9b93-19c0a955cea3

I am a little disturbed by this lol. I can't find a solution and this isn't exactly a brand new issue. I have about 4 clients connecting to this Win7 machine so I shouldn't be hitting any limits. Definitely never saw this with good 'ol XP. Oh, two of the clients are also running 7 and never have any problems so it appears to just be something with XP connecting to Vista/7.

Had this same problem with Windows XP clients connecting to Server 2008 machines (same codebase as Vista).
turns out the culprit was a bug/problem with Symantec Antivirus, fixed in a later update of the product.

I'd check your antivirus, if you are running any.

Me reporting in about this again. The above registry fix has performed flawlessly for this issue.

Back