Core i5 and Core i7 Socket LGA-1156 Lynnfield based processors now on sale

ps: fry's website the CPU is selling for $205 and is listed as "in stock", with same-day shipping available. A quick search for faster Lynnfield CPUs and P55 motherboards however turns up no results.

It would be nice if we could see i5 750 and some nice MB combo for about 250ish euros in Europe. And 300ish with i7 860.

Shouldn't this be in the Processor & Chipset Technology subforum?

Anyway, local stores have been 'selling' them for about a week.
None actually have it in stock yet though & none are even advertising any mobos :rolleyes:

Wow... AMD are in trouble if those benchmarks hold true elsewhere. Its basically a sub $200 CPU with reasonable platform costs that performs as well as an i7 920 in games but draws WAY less power!

I wonder if they had turbo boost turned off in those tests as well since I would have expected the i5 to perform better in some cases with it on.

the lowest i5 lacks VT-D as a gamer is it of any use to me ?

ps: what is a IMST 9.0 interface ?

pps: does anyone know how i7/i5 @2.66 compare to a core2 quad @2.66 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
the lowest i5 lacks VT-D as a gamer is it of any use to me ?

ps: what is a IMST 9.0 interface ?

pps: does anyone know how i7/i5 @2.66 compare to a core2 quad @2.66 ?

I'm almost certain the answer to your first question is no. I think it has something to do with virtualisation.

No idea on the second one.

To answer your third question, in CPU limited situations, both i5 and i7 would slaughter an identically clocked C2Q. In fact, they can both easily beat a 3Ghz C2Q in CPU limited or highly threaded games. In none gaming situations they will be faster in every situation but by how much will vary. In some it will be a little, in others the difference will be massive.

If the pricing holds similar to what is currently being advertised & the mobos come in at the expected relatively low prices, I think I'm probably going to get a Core i7 860 (2.8Ghz) :cool:

What happens with the Turbo Boost when you've overclocked? Does it boost higher or does it pretty much disable that feature?

If the pricing holds similar to what is currently being advertised & the mobos come in at the expected relatively low prices, I think I'm probably going to get a Core i7 860 (2.8Ghz) :cool:

What happens with the Turbo Boost when you've overclocked? Does it boost higher or does it pretty much disable that feature?

On LGA1366 it depends on the board.
With non-Extreme chips most will give you the option of leaving it off or on and increasing the QPI speed, so you'll still get the 2x multiplier increase for single core loads, and 1x for 2-4 core loads (assuming you are within TDP).
On Extreme chips you can also tweak the multiplier - the ASUS boards tweak the max non-Turbo multiplier and doing so disables Turbo mode. On the Intel DX58SO you tweak the turbo multipliers and TDP limit, so you can set a max TDP and maximum multipliers for 1, 2, 3 and 4 core loading.

Unfortunately I've not played with overclocking any LGA1156 parts yet, but should have third-party boards soonish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe 'cause it has almost the same perfomance @ stock, overclocks to nearly identical levels, motherbords are cheaper and the whole platform producess less heat aka it has better perf/watt ratio? :cool:

I would expect the 860 to be quite a bit faster than the 920 actually. Its certainly priced higher and the only major difference other than clock speeds between them is a triple vs a dual channel memory interface. The 860 has about 200Mhz stock advantage though and with overdrive that increases to something like 600Mhz I think.

So the reasoning then is the triple channel memory interface won't produce results to counter the increased clock?

Does anybody really take power consumption into consideration? Seriously?

Back