Activision's Bobby Kotick wants more expensive games

Richard

Mord's imaginary friend
Veteran
This article in EDGE can be summed up thusly:

Kotick: We need moar money.
Sony: We need moar money too.
Kotick: Sony, you have to lower your console prices so gamers can afford our higher priced games.

Boo.
That's ok, the Mass Effect Trilogy will be my Games of Forever.

As if Call of Duty didn't sell well enough. :|

Boo.
That's ok, the Mass Effect Trilogy will be my Games of Forever.

As if Call of Duty didn't sell well enough. :|

The GH cash cow is running dry. Gotta milk CoD next for all it's worth. I expect a really shitty "vip" program for the CoD game after MW2. I think they're upto something....

The GH cash cow is running dry. Gotta milk CoD next for all it's worth. I expect a really shitty "vip" program for the CoD game after MW2. I think they're upto something....

VIP program :?:

I can't believe how many Hero games they've released this year, not counting the different platforms. I mean, sure I don't mind being exposed to new music, but it's... too much too soon. :/

Sounds like they are trying to make the most money from their biggest franchise to make up for the other dire games they make.

Yeah, VIP gaming is sorta... the WoW philosophy applied to CoD. The reasoning being that all those people playing CoD 10 months after release aren't really netting Activision any extra money.

This article in EDGE can be summed up thusly:

Kotick: We need moar money.
Sony: We need moar money too.
Kotick: Sony, you have to lower your console prices so gamers can afford our higher priced games.

Did he check price elasticity of deand? Higher price doesnt mean more money

He's just tootin' his horn.

Games could reach much higher volumes if they were only priced lower. It particularly boggles the mind if you look at the US, where used sales are an efficiently organized business and the publisher is already out of the equation when the price starts to drop a few months after release. It's not healthy to teach your customer base that they should wait two months to buy the same game for half the initial price. It's also inefficient, because any effect the marketing activities around launch may have had are gone then, and there's a high chance your title will be forgotten altogether.

Maybe it's just me but I've bought tons more games, games I wouldn't have looked twice at in the past, ever since the opportunity to import them cheaply from the UK opened up for me. And I still wait things out on top of that. I tend to buy at around 30€ while RRPs remain steady at 70€ locally.

It seems pretty clear-cut to me that games publishers are already above the sweet spot for pricing on new releases. The only question that bothers me is how do the high RRPs pull up my perception of what a good bargain is. If the average RRP for a new game was 30€, would I be content with that price, or would I still try to go lower.

He's just tootin' his horn.

Games could reach much higher volumes if they were only priced lower. It particularly boggles the mind if you look at the US, where used sales are an efficiently organized business and the publisher is already out of the equation when the price starts to drop a few months after release. It's not healthy to teach your customer base that they should wait two months to buy the same game for half the initial price. It's also inefficient, because any effect the marketing activities around launch may have had are gone then, and there's a high chance your title will be forgotten altogether.

Yes, games should be cheaper, Sega should release Yakuza 3 (and Kenzan!) in the US, they woud make so much more money. We gamers always knows what publishers should do and publishers always make stupid decisions when they don't do what we gamers think they should do.

The CEO of a publisher's main task is to ensure (more) profitability, if that can be acheived by lowering prices, great. If that can be acheived by raising prices, also great!

There was some survey a little while back about having diff levels of access to play future CoD games. IW came out said it's absolutely not for MW2 but me think waters were being tested to see what sort of feedback they get.

http://www.gossipgamers.com/activis...scription-possible-cod-mmo/cod-mmo-survey-02/

Thanks, I don't think I paid much attention the first time I saw it. It's clever that the survey doesn't have the option "pay nothing for it" and the lowest confidence percentage they allow is 60%. "See?? Results show 100% of gamers would be 60% likely to pay more!"

Yes, games should be cheaper, Sega should release Yakuza 3 (and Kenzan!) in the US, they woud make so much more money. We gamers always knows what publishers should do and publishers always make stupid decisions when they don't do what we gamers think they should do.

The CEO of a publisher's main task is to ensure (more) profitability, if that can be acheived by lowering prices, great. If that can be acheived by raising prices, also great!
Snark aside, I do believe that sometimes when executives express themselves in public, what comes out is not necessarily their actual opinion but rather something that would be beneficial to say.

As for hero milking:
GH: Metallica
GH: Smash Hits
GH: 5
GH: Van Halen
DJ Hero

Impressive......

And Band Hero. :LOL: :[ I wouldn't mind it as much if they had export functionality though (well, it wouldn't work for DJ Hero of course)... But then they could justify an extra fee ala RB2. *whistling*... :(

I had an argument a couple of years ago with a guy who tried to convince me that piracy was good for the gaming industry and that prices would rise if it wasn't for piracy. I figured he was an moron who needed an excuse for pirating games.

Well the jerks are charging $60 for Modern Warfare 2 on PC.......so lame.........and that's for nothing special, just a regular edition.

Thanks, I don't think I paid much attention the first time I saw it. It's clever that the survey doesn't have the option "pay nothing for it" and the lowest confidence percentage they allow is 60%. "See?? Results show 100% of gamers would be 60% likely to pay more!"
I think that image has cut off the bottom of the survey. There's a slider shown on the right and the row title is truncated, ending with an open 'or', while also being formatted at the bottom of the cell instead of centre.

Back