OpenGL 3.2

What the hell changed here? Has tessellation (from DX11) been introduced as extensions? Geometry shaders as core is a bad idea, IMHO.

What the hell changed here? Has tessellation (from DX11) been introduced as extensions? Geometry shaders as core is a bad idea, IMHO.

OpenGL 3.2 with a quick skim over also provides,

Multisample textures (woohoo)
Seamless cubemap filtering
SampleMask
Sync objects and Fences

So a major update, and great continued progress.

OpenGL 3.2 with a quick skim over also provides,

Multisample textures (woohoo)
Seamless cubemap filtering
SampleMask
Sync objects and Fences

So a major update, and great continued progress.

1. What are multisample textures? I know about MSAA. Are they related?

2. Do we have to wait for the DX11 hw to launch before vendors introduce their tessellation extensions or is it part of 3.2?

3. How close are we now to the original goal of object based API for gl3 with 3.2 (assuming forward compatible context)? Whatever little I did with GL programmable pipeline suggested to me that we are quite close as all new stuff is buffer based.

1. You really should just goto this page, http://www.opengl.org/registry/, then download and view,

OpenGL 3.2 Core Profile Specification with changes marked (August 3, 2009)

The changes are marked in purple for easy viewing!

2. ATI has a jump on the tessellator via AMD_vertex_shader_tessellator extension for current GPUs. As for DX11 stuff, who knows, usually NVidia provides extensions long before they get in core, but since none here know or can talk about NVidia's DX11 GPU, your guess is as good as mine.

3. Seems like the GL people decided to get back to incremental updates to get the feature support up to DX10 level. At the same time rolling in changes which should in theory enable an easier transition to a "better" API. NVidia has already provided extensions which remove a huge amount of the crippling API overhead in the form of "bindless graphics" extensions. Not sure what is planned for GL 3.3 and future in regards to the original API redesign.

Back