3D Gaming*

Hm, I cannot remember the distance exactly...but it was not so far away, if I had to guess I would say about 2-3 meter?!

And the glasses went off, I guess! You can tell it rather clearly, because when the glasses are activated, everything is much darker...and of course you have the 3D effect on screen, whereas in my case in a certain distance the glasses went off, it was light and I could see the double images on screen and no 3D effect...probably a malfunction in their setup?

May be weak battery.

Infrared red headphones have a typical range of 24 - 30 feet. There are professional 3D glasses with a range of 100-150 feet (RF tech).

I found a useful 3D Vision blog: http://3dvision-blog.com/

In fact, I found something more stunning at the same time:
http://www.moko.cc/post/3j000/236619.html
(It's a collection of professional Chinese models appearing in the ChinaJoy gaming conference starting today in Shanghai)

[size=-2]I'm banging my head against the wall now since I'll be leaving Shanghai tomorrow and I only found out about ChinaJoy like 30 minutes ago.[/size]

And... what does your wife think about it? :no:

I found a useful 3D Vision blog: http://3dvision-blog.com/

In fact, I found something more stunning at the same time:
http://www.moko.cc/post/3j000/236619.html
(It's a collection of professional Chinese models appearing in the ChinaJoy gaming conference starting today in Shanghai)

[size=-2]I'm banging my head against the wall now since I'll be leaving Shanghai tomorrow and I only found out about ChinaJoy like 30 minutes ago.[/size]

This is an excellent blog and forum for 3d gaming. I have been frequenting the site since I picked up the Nvidia 3d Vision kit.

Hm, I cannot remember the distance exactly...but it was not so far away, if I had to guess I would say about 2-3 meter?!

And the glasses went off, I guess! You can tell it rather clearly, because when the glasses are activated, everything is much darker...and of course you have the 3D effect on screen, whereas in my case in a certain distance the glasses went off, it was light and I could see the double images on screen and no 3D effect...probably a malfunction in their setup?

PS: Fluorescent tube lighting (common in shops and offices) has a nasty habit of interfering with IR sync'd glasses if you don't turn on interference robustness features.

Not sure about that particular setup but I've been caught out by that a few times...

nVidia introduces professional 3D gears (3D Vision Pro):
http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/643721.html

NVIDIA announced today NVIDIA® 3D Vision™ Pro, a new 3D stereoscopic solution empowering engineers, designers, architects and computational chemists who work with complex 3D designs to see their work in greater detail. 3D Vision Pro solutions brings true stereo 3D back to the desktop with support for LCD panels and offers a practical way to provide a rich, reliable 3D viewing experience for large scale visualization environments like video walls and collaborative virtual environments (CAVEs).

Individuals can experience 3D on LCD panels at their Quadro powered desktop and mobile workstations

Small groups can view 3D on single or multiple projectors, and

Larger groups can experience 3D on power walls or in theaters driven by NVIDIA Scalable Visualization Solutions (SVS)

3D Vision™ Pro provides long range connections, up to 150 feet, with no cross talk, blind spots, or other transmission issues between multiple systems. As a professional stereoscopic solution, status information is transmitted from the glasses back to the host for effective IT management.

I converted a WipEout HD 3D screenshot into anaglyph. Obviously there's zero colour reproduction but the 3D effect is pretty close to the real thing!

http://is.gd/e2AE3

Can you do that with green instead of blue? We've got a Coraline BluRay with 4 green-red glasses, no blue-red ones. Or maybe I can do that somehow with GIMP ... hmm.

As an aside, I bought 2 additional monitors for my NVidia 3DVision setup.
I have to say that Surround3D is really very impressive; having the 3D image fill your peripheral vision makes a huge difference.

I’ve been a big proponent of surround gaming for a while, but I’d stopped using my TH2GO since I’d picked up the 3DVision package. I have to say the overall surround 3D experience is better than the sum of its parts.

Of course, it’s way too expensive for it to be anything but a (very small) niche solution, probably ever.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...Ps_Go_3D_Thanks_to_Mitsubishi_and_True3D/5185

There's no official 3D solution for Samsung DLPs yet, but that's nothing a bit of clever hacking won't solve.

Tru3D created a "spoofer" – a device that makes Mitsubishi's 3DA-1 adapter think Samsung TVs are Mitsubishi. The result is 3D on your Samsung DLP. It makes the set compatible with 3D Blu-rays and 3D signals sent over cable and satellite, instead of just working with 3D signals sent from PCs.

You can pick up True3D's adapter for $289

Any more adaptors in the pipeline? That seems the best way to catapult early adoption, mitigating the cost of a new TV.

Was in the cinema and tested now the 'other' tech, where you basically only have 'standard' glasses on, not the active ones.

The cinema featured a Sony 4K beamer as well.

I watched Toy Story 3 and the new Shrek.

I am not sure if it is related to the tech, or if the movies are better 3D movies....but this time, 3D was at least ok! Either I am used now to ghosting, or those movies behave much better in fast action scenes - or it is indeed the tech, maybe some of you guys can enlighten me (does the 4K resolution help somewhat?!)

In fact, Shrek feature some rather extreme and cool 3D effects and was easily the best 3D movie I have seen so far (with respect to 3D)!

Toy Story had rather subtle 3D implementation on the other hand...

My movie ranking with respect to 3D effects and implementation (from 'boo' to 'yeah':

* Clash of the Titans with active glasses (3D is a joke)
*Avatar with active glasses (not much better than CoT)
*Toy Story with passive glasses (3D ok, not much ghosting, rather subtle 3D usage)
*Shrek with passive glasses (3D great, some extreme cool effects, especially at the beginning there is a scene with some horses and a carriage which is phantastic and then some flight scenes as well - if someone wants 3D experience, try this one)!

Sony has a curious 3D system for their projectors which it might be using, simultaneous projection by splitting up the image from the projector at the lens (so no longer really 4K either).

As I understand it :
RealD with Z-screen : 144 Hz frame sequential circular polarization mostly crap, a ton of cross talk between eyes which they try to remove with pre-processing (ghost busting)
MasterImage : 144 Hz frame sequential circular polarization, but with a filter wheel so almost no cross talk.
Dolby3D : 144 Hz frame sequential, different filters but also with a filter wheel, almost no crosstalk
Imax Digital : 72 Hz frame parallel, online people say they use linear polarization ... dunno if true, but if so then as long as you keep your head perfectly straight this should actually give least crosstalk of all
Sony (also branded as RealD) : 72 Hz frame parallel circular polarization, almost no crosstalk
Xpand : 144 Hz frame sequential, shutter glasses with almost no crosstalk

Of course any random Cinema might have an old system with lower resolutions or refresh rates ... you rarely know exactly what you are going to get.

Active glasses display are always frame sequential, although there are some LCDs which do frame-parallel with interlacing and polarized glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching Shrek now (currently in a break) in a fairly basic / small cinema using RealD but the quality is actually surprisingly good. And yeah, Shrek uses 3D very well I have to say, lots of clever ways to enhance emotions, making filmic history here. ;)

Back