Misplaced complaint about XB360 service

goonergaz

Veteran
Mod : Moved from "Why you don't own XB360" thread, as this is "why I regret buying XB360"

Just an update. I feel this is OT, but feel free to delete if not!

My X360 had an int. sound fault so I took it back and swapped it for another unit. Now I can't use the DRM tool as I've already used up my one go this year.

FTR I have since spent 30mins on the phone and am awaiting a response (2nd day now), they said they should be able to let me have another go with the DRM tool by sending a copy of the receipt and an email to a supervisor.

This is the sort of thing that makes me regret buying an Xbox 360.

Just an update. I feel this is OT, but feel free to delete if not!

My X360 had an int. sound fault so I took it back and swapped it for another unit. Now I can't use the DRM tool as I've already used up my one go this year.

FTR I have since spent 30mins on the phone and am awaiting a response (2nd day now), they said they should be able to let me have another go with the DRM tool by sending a copy of the receipt and an email to a supervisor.

This is the sort of thing that makes me regret buying an Xbox 360.

I had a similar problem, but what saved me from going through your ordeal was that I returned my defective unit to Microsoft under their warranty instead of going to the store. They messed up with the DRM with my newer unit & didn't have much choice but to let me use the DRM tool on another system. It's not a great system, but when talking DRM I'm not sure there ever will be.

Tommy McClain

Fan bloomin tastic.

So I just got a call...they won't do it!!

Long story short:

Had machine just after launch. Machine died after 9 mths - swapped at shop...eventually sold...probably 2 years ago?

Bought new machine ~21st July, used DRM tool to reclaim my software.

~4 days later had sound issues, took to shop for a straight swap of base unit. DRM tool won't work and MS won't let me have another transfer.

Thanks for nothing MS.

Well what's the problem? The stuff (DLC) works as long as you are connected to LIVE (Silver or Gold) and when the year is up from the last time you used the tool, you can use it again to transfer the DRM to the new console.

Is it that you just don't want your 360 connected? It's not like you have to pay to be connected to LIVE.

same for me... they didn't waive the year... I had no problem playing anything so long as I was connected and now the year is up and I can tranfer again

I'm always connected to Live, but the biggest problem for me was that I only use my GamerTag to purchase content. So whenever the wife or my kids want to play games on their account they can't play the full versions. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have complained.

Tommy McClain

I buy Arcade games or extensions with my gamertag and my wife don't have problems to play with it on her gamertag…
But sometime there be problems and redownloading solve it, so try.
@eb: you got a 360 two years ago, and now you buy a new one? And transfert your old Gamertag?
Have you're trying to redownloading content?

I'm pretty sure another account can play the paid content using a 2nd controller if the LIVE account is logged in.

this is the workaround

Last edited by a moderator:
whenever the wife or my kids want to play games on their account they can't play the full versions. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have complained.

Tommy McClain

EXACTLY.

My kids cannot play the games, also I don't have the machine online - I just connect int. when I want to d/l something.

Either way, I just want what's mine, what I've paid for and what I should get as this problem is the direct result of a faulty unit - NOT MY FAULT!

I buy Arcade games or extensions with my gamertag and my wife don't have problems to play with it on her gamertag…
But sometime there be problems and redownloading solve it, so try.
@eb: you got a 360 two years ago, and now you buy a new one? And transfert your old Gamertag?
Have you're trying to redownloading content?

It only works if the content is being used on the exact console you originally purchased the games on. If you've changed the system & don't use the DRM tool then any guest accounts that play the games will only get the trial version regardless if you're connected to Live or not.

I'm pretty sure another account can play the paid content using a 2nd controller if the LIVE account is logged in.

this is the workaround

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work this way. The game would have to be started by the GamerTag that purchased it first, Once in some games might allow a 2nd controller to take control, but not all of them. Though I'm going by memory from my experience 3 months ago. ;)

Tommy McClain

another 30 min callto MS, another 'we should be able to do that and will call you back within 72 hrs'...I'll not be holding my breath!

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work this way. The game would have to be started by the GamerTag that purchased it first, Once in some games might allow a 2nd controller to take control, but not all of them. Though I'm going by memory from my experience 3 months ago. ;)

Tommy McClain

Actually so long as you can get the 2nd controller log in through a 2 player game you can use that (non live) profile to skip out to the dashboard and that account can then play any DLC on the machine so long as the purchaser is still logged in (meaning you have to move the controller 1 occasionally or reconnect if it goes into battery saver)

I tried it last night as I still have not switched my DRM content over to new machine even though the year was up.

It's not pretty but it is a workaround for family members until the year is up... I agree it sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try asking if you can talk to a person who is able to give you your money back.
Afterall they've sold you a broken product, and aren't doing anything to fix it. :-/

Then you should be able to rebuy the games you want, for your new system. :)

Try asking if you can talk to a person who is able to give you your money back.
Afterall they've sold you a broken product, and aren't doing anything to fix it. :-/

Then you should be able to rebuy the games you want, for your new system. :)

that was my thoughts - at least refund me enough MS points to rebuy...seems easy enough IMHO.

just had the call "we can sort this but it has to go to the US and will take 1 to 2 weeks"

"how long? I just want what's rightfully mine? I've spent 2 hours of my life on the phone over this and have gotten nowhere and lots of inconsistent stories"

"sorry"

"shoddy service (etc etc)"

"sorry, we will be in touch in 1-2 weeks"

Not a surprise considering my experience with MS 'customer service' and that really must be a euphemism because it's god awful, especially if you're talking to 'Raj' all the time, because apparently they only hire people with that name.

I'm not sure I understand the complaint though, or Az's specific comments about buying things under his gamertag. Is there a way to buy DLC without it attaching to your tag? Does it then attach to your console? If you buy it with your gamertag can you use it on a different console as long as you log in with the same gamertag?

I've now got two 360s, but I've never tried to use them at the same time. Oh.. I was actually going to try to do that right now but had forgotten. Is there going to be a conflict using one gamertag on two xboxs? What if they're not both on at the same time? Hmm..

I might have to do some troubleshooting here.. I'm just worried about how upset I'll be once I'm done.

When you download ANYTHING on Xbox Live it's assigned to your GamerTag & the first console it was downloaded to. If you attempt to use the same content on a different machine it will only work when logged into Xbox Live using the same GamerTag. All other GamerTags would only get the trial/demo version. BTW, you can't be logged into 2 different consoles with the same GamerTag at the same time. However, you could play the game on the original Xbox using a different GamerTag, but play the same game on a different system using the original GamerTag it was bought with all at the same time. Can't see how they would forbid that.

Tommy McClain

Back