PS3 Has Sold The Same Amount Of Software As DC In The Same Amount Of Time. (Japan)

By what standards?

By commercial market standards in the late 90's (starting in Nov 98) and until Sega called it quits. The system's launch in Japan was hindered by buggy and somewhat incomplete software and the situation didn't improve until summer of 99 there. Sales were extremely slow too despite being priced well.

Capcom even delayed RE CV hoping the user base would be high enough by release.

The US launch was good in comparison, but the momentum didn't accelerate enough for Sega. A pivotal point in the DC's life span was how bad piracy got with self booting games that didn't require any hardware mod's.

The comparison with the Dreamcast doesn’t make sense (other then wishful thinking I sometimes think) as that console failed miserably in all markets.

Also, and since this is mainly about Japan, the PS1 moved a ridiculous amount of software in Japan. A whole bunch of series that today peak at around 50k were selling 5x that, or more.

As Shifty pointed out, profitable platform for some devs and some quality games means ps3 isn't an utter failure, therefore, DC (by virtue of meeting that criteria) isn't an utter failure.
I know nothing of Dreamcast software sales, so maybe it matches PS3 in that respect. But PS3 is certainly making money for the big publishers which is why they're supporting it. This thread started only with a comparison of Japan. PS3 is a worldwide market of >20 million units that's growing. DC sold ten million in its entire life, which wasn't ever large enough to capture and maintain the key publishers' interest. If the publishers abandon PS3 for having too small a userbase, it'll be a similar position, but at this point it isn't and going forward once it's got a significant price cut, it may actually become a stronger market.

So I'd say DC failed as a console, because it didn't provide publishers with a viable market which is why they left it for other markets, whereas PS3 hasn't failed in software terms because it offers publishers enough of a (cross-platform) market to be a money maker. In terms of DC being a success for the users, the number of rabid SEGA fans shows SEGA clearly succeeded there! ;)

Back