PS3 Has Sold The Same Amount Of Software As DC In The Same Amount Of Time. (Japan)

From what I recall, Title after title were promised to turn the tide for the PS3.

Only by fanboys and maybe Pachter. Did Sony promise anything?

The latest in the long lines of promised catalysts were KZ2 and LBP.

How did those "sell well"?

Compared to what? Halo? Ha! Gears of War? Nope. In absolute terms? They did sell over a million fairly quickly. Probably a profit on LBP, the jury's still out on KZ2 (and before you get ahead of yourself, you don't know the game's budget any more than we do).

But why are you even bringing this up in relation to his claim? Software does sell well, particularly MP software, when taking install-base into account. We've been over this again and again and again. Can the PS3 sustain the entire industry like the PS2 could? Nope, but we're not even sure if PS3+360 is enough to sustain the industry at this point. Depending on who you are, even PS3+360+Wii are difficult to survive on.

It's very likely that Killzone sold around 2 million units. Considering it's a 1st party title, for which you don't pay royalties, it is EXTREMELY unlikely Sony made a loss on it.

Did Sony promise anything?

Boy, is that a loaded question ...

Well, like I said, I'll leave it to Sony to learn from their past mistakes on PS3.

In my VERY humble opinion, ps3 has been an utter failure (as a games machine). It did a very nice job in helping to win the HD optical war, for whatever that's worth these days (and the exclusive payouts to movie studios didn't hurt either).

It is also a very nice architecture to build on going forward, but if Cell has been abandoned, then the entire project has basically been a loss.

How did those "sell well"?

You ought to ignore internet hype that promises "turning tide" and reclaiming Sony the throne. A logical person knows that will never happen as does SCEI. Games like Killzone 2 did in fact exceed their expectations from a financial standpoint.

You've got a glorified demo like GT5 Prologue shipping 3.67 million worldwide, Killzone 2 shipping 2 million as well in addition to titles like Uncharted with 2.5-3 million. I'd say those sold well unless you're comparing them to Halo or GTA; you may as well label every franchise out there as a failure by comparison then.

SFIV, DMC4, and RE5 sold marginally better worldwide due to the Japanese and PAL markets. In fact, Capcom's FY 2009 projections have the PS3 at their top bread winner.

It's not all doom and gloom unless you're comparing it to the PS2. Sony messed up, badly in fact but they're doing just fine as an underdog. For one thing, they're only 8 million units behind their closest competitor which had a full year headstart (17 months in the PAL regions where they're doing well).

Last edited by a moderator:
You ought to ignore internet hype that promises "turning tide" and reclaiming Sony the throne.
Exactly. Sony fanboys promised this. Sony didn't. Sony never said 'KZ2 is going to sell better than Halo and make PS3 the premiere selling platform'. Nor did they say 'LBP will be the fastest sellig title of all time.' I'm sure someone who goes digging could find some marketting bluff about propelling PS3 to heady heights, but marketting bluff needs to be treated separately from sales predictions. That's why when MS sais XB360 was going to win Japan, we ignored the comment. There are no predictable games (save perhaps franchises). Only chumps and morons will look at a new IP or moderate selling franchise (KZ) and predict it'll sell gangbusters, let only make a $400 console a mainstream commodity. If game sales were predictable, gaming would be a risk-free industry. Please link me to a publisher or developer who feels everythingn is stable and predictable and they can make informed, worry-free decisions! :D

You've got a glorified demo like GT5 Prologue shipping 3.67 million worldwide, Killzone 2 shipping 2 million as well in addition to titles like Uncharted with 2.5-3 million. I'd say those sold well unless you're comparing them to Halo or GTA; you may as well label every franchise out there as a failure by comparison then.

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers, but Killzone 2 isn't even remotely close to 2 million units unless Europe/Aus/Jpn has combined sold about twice as much as the US. And last I checked KZ2 hasn't done as well in Europe+Aus as the US.

As of June, KZ2 has sold somewhere between 700-750k units according to NPD.

There is a chance that it may hit 2 million worldwide by the time the holidays hit, but that isn't even a guarantee. Although the fact that they are continuing to release patches to keep the multiplayer relevant is encouraging and may give it legs simlar to either of the COD games, although not the same volume.

If it can keep selling 20-25k a month with a spike during the holidays, it has an outside chance of hitting 1 million in the US.

So considering the rumored budgets, even lowballing it, it's certainly been a disappointment for all involved. Resistance 1 continues to be the best selling 1st/3rd person shooter exclusive on the platform I believe.

Regards,
SB

Exactly. Sony fanboys promised this.

Next up, GOWIII. Great franchise, but seeing how the games sold 2.5-3 million each on the PS2 with a much larger user base, it's doubtful that history will repeat itself. 1.2 million perhaps like DMC4. Still, it'll be hailed as another "savior".

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers, but Killzone 2 isn't even remotely close to 2 million units unless Europe/Aus/Jpn has combined sold about twice as much as the US. And last I checked KZ2 hasn't done as well in Europe+Aus as the US.

Sony has had better luck with all their titles in the PAL regions so KZ2 isn't an exception, though I assumed that it reached 2 million by now. Going by VG Chartz, it's at 1.7 million worldwide.

The GT5 figure aside (released by Sony and includes digital sales), I've quoted the rest from there as well.

And according to Sony, KZ2 is the fastest selling first party title to reach 500K in the first month. In the UK, it's the 4th fastest selling Sony published title overall (including PS1 and PS2). Going by that notion and relatively healthy sales, I wouldn't call it a disappointment.

It is selling better in the PAL region, at least in the UK. KZ2 has entered ELSPA gold award (200K) out of 2 mil install base by the end of march, whereas in the US it has sold around 600K out of 8 mil during the same period. That's about 30% greater sales/install base ratio. The entire euro region's got the PS3 install base about equal to the US. So if we assume that KZ2 has sold evenly in the other Euro regions, 750K x 1.3 = 975K + 750K (US) + 70K (Canada <- usually around 10% or more of the US sales) + 80K in Japan + Australia + other Asian regions, it should be very close to if not more than 2 mil. Considering how KZ1 did well in Europe (while it sucked in the US) I think it's safe to assume that the game has hit 2 mil mark by now.

It is selling better in the PAL region, at least in the UK. KZ2 has entered ELSPA gold award (200K) out of 2 mil install base by the end of march, whereas in the US it has sold around 600K out of 8 mil during the same period. That's about 30% greater sales/install base ratio. The entire euro region's got the PS3 install base about equal to the US. So if we assume that KZ2 has sold evenly in the other Euro regions, 750K x 1.3 = 975K + 750K (US) + 70K (Canada <- usually around 10% or more of the US sales) + 80K in Japan + Australia + other Asian regions, it should be very close to if not more than 2 mil. Considering how KZ1 did well in Europe (while it sucked in the US) I think it's safe to assume that the game has hit 2 mil mark by now.

Ah, I didn't know the KZ franchise was relatively more popular in Europe than the US. So that puts it closer to 2 million than the 1.3-1.5 that I was thinking.

Regards,
SB

Exactly. Sony fanboys promised this. Sony didn't...

While true, many of these voices originated on these forums. I'm not going to name names as it's unnecessary.

I'm still shocked by these numbers the OP put forth. Considering the widespread consensus that DC was a "failure" and refusal by some to lump ps3 in the same park ... kinda weird...

While true, many of these voices originated on these forums. I'm not going to name names as it's unnecessary.
Which has nothing to do with anything. Unless you feel a product should be measured by the most overinflated expectations of the most rabid fans, instead of by the producers' expectations. PS3 certainly isn't the best selling platform of all time. Neither is it a money maker, making it an economic failure to date and quite possible for the generation. It's not an utter failure though, because 'utter' encompasses all criteria, whereas PS3 is clearly successful in some criteria. It has some great games. It provides a profitable platform for developers. If one is going to grumble about hyperbole on the part of the Internet population, one ought to avoid it oneself.

Aye, I'd say that the PS3 so far has been a disappointment for those involved in its developement, but hardly a failure.

However, that said, I don't think the PS3 is out of the fire entirely yet. While it's foundations are more solid with fairly strong numbers from end of 2007 and most of 2008, it hasn't been able to sustain that momentum.

And a big part of that is Sony's financial situation (again no reflection on the PS3 itself) and to a slightly lesser extent the rather lackluster exclusive's performance, especially first party titles.

The exclusives problem could possibly be addressed with more of the old PS2 exclusive franchises being revived on the PS3. Which would also help somewhat with moving some more consoles.

The financials however are a much more worrying issue. Without the ability to maneuver and respond to the competition it puts them into a difficult position. And Sony doesn't really have much that would serve them well in an extended economic recession. IE - they aren't exactly known for having low cost budget goods.

I have a feeling the PS3 is going to mirror the performance of the global economy more so than the X360. Just a hunch on my end, nothing substantial.

The gaming industry has suffered a major shink this summer so far, and only the X360 has been able to post positive growth in the face of the market shrinking. Lowest sales since 2000 for the games industry.

Regards,
SB

Next up, GOWIII. Great franchise, but seeing how the games sold 2.5-3 million each on the PS2 with a much larger user base, it's doubtful that history will repeat itself. 1.2 million perhaps like DMC4. Still, it'll be hailed as another "savior".

Feel free to give a quote of someone who has said this.

BTW there's one crucial factor people are missing here.

Out of that Dreamcast charts, about 80% of the games listed on the top are from none other than Sega itself, while SCE's only accounted for maybe about 20% on the PS3 charts. While the sales numbers do seem similar, PS3 is a lot healthier as a console with all the third-party support its getting, and that's something that was never available on the Dreamcast.

...It's not an utter failure though, because 'utter' encompasses all criteria, whereas PS3 is clearly successful in some criteria. It has some great games. It provides a profitable platform for developers...

Was the same not true of Dreamcast?

Did the Dreamcast not have "some great games" and make a "profitable platform" for some developers?

Was it not also considered an utter failure?

As I said, ps3 certainly helped with bluray wars, but it didn't push it over the top. Sony (and partners) had to come up with the cash to get key Studios to switch exclusivity and THAT sealed the deal.

The only thing that will be a saving grace of ps3 is it's architecture, but this is of course assuming that the latest rumors of Sony dropping Cell for ps4 are proven false.

Was the same not true of Dreamcast?

Did the Dreamcast not have "some great games" and make a "profitable platform" for some developers?

Was it not also considered an utter failure?

The DC was not viewed successful in any light from the get go. Even when the good software starting rolling, Sega had a hard time pushing a $200 console. Sure, some publishers made money out of it, but their bread and butter was ultimately the PS1.

The situation is completely different with the PS3 starting with the mere fact that its MSRP handicapped its adoption worldwide from the get go. It has a healthy third party support with many of the same titles as its competitor as third party exclusives are disappearing. It was a successful trojan of BD. BD started overtaking HD-DVD in sales gradually when the PS3 launched, and by late 2007, it had most of the HDM market. Sure, WB may have been paid off, but most of Hollywood was backing BD to begin with.

Again, let's not go by internet rants and proclaim anything an "utter failure" or a success. When a product has an install base of 22 or so million worldwide, and is only 8 million units behind its closet competitor that always sold for less and had a year headstart, it can't be considered a failure.

Well it can be compared to its predecessor.

The DC was not viewed successful in any light from the get go.

By what standards?

As Shifty pointed out, profitable platform for some devs and some quality games means ps3 isn't an utter failure, therefore, DC (by virtue of meeting that criteria) isn't an utter failure.

The only differences are BD and Cell.

As I said, BD was backsliding until the money hat came around to key studios from Sony. In my book, that means PS3 didn't win that war for them, it only helped.

The only point which PS3 has over DC is CELL and if that is abandoned, I see no difference between them aside from where the parent company came from prior to said failure.

Back