First SEGA Patents Controller, Now They Patent Memory Card.

It's possible they just had some ideas and wanted to make sure they weren't copied/they could extract royalties for them...

WTF?
SEGA said:
However, the command buttons of the conventional controller can make only one command by one operation thereof, and is unsuitable to continuously make commands. It is very difficult especially to make command which are continuously changed. When continuously changed commands must be made, nothing other than unnatural operations of pushing the command buttons for various periods of time or pushing the command buttons repeatedly a number of times.

The direction buttons of the conventional controller can command only four or eight directions, and cannot command directions between these directions, and continuous direction changes.
Further another object of the present invention is to provide a controller which can make commands which are continuously changed.

Further another object of the present invention is to provide a controller which can command an arbitrary direction and continuously changed
Analog controllers patented? What are they smoking at sega?

Disclaimer: i have no idea about patents.

It's probably one of those card readers system thing in arcade, that you can use with games like arcade VF5 or Tekken 6 to keep your record, costume setting and stuff.

Looking at the controller patent, you can sort of see why Sega is not Nintendo.

I don't think they'll enter the hardware market again but I really do wish Sega would do a handheld again. I think the market for handheld is big enough for a few more players other than DS and PSP. The barrier to entry is lower. And Saturn 8 way d-pad is still the best d-pad there is and Sega hold the patent to it.

This, more than likely, has nothing to do with Sega gearing up for a hardware comback. If anything, it's just a proprietery controller for their own software.

I'm with the others on the card being used for Arcade systems.

I overheard something at E3 that I cannot repeat in detail, but it involved a 3rd party peripheral, which is closely tied to a single game. Sega is showing some interest in using this peripheral to bring a long-running franchise to the HD consoles. If they do pursue this partnership, I could see them doing more specialized 3rd party controllers for established consoles. But making a modular Saturn pad 3D (or a DC pad with 6 face buttons) doesn't seem like good business when the standard pads already have far greater functionality built in. An add-on for wireless gaming? Infrared, line-of-sight wireless? Really?

I overheard something at E3 that I cannot repeat in detail, but it involved a 3rd party peripheral, which is closely tied to a single game. Sega is showing some interest in using this peripheral to bring a long-running franchise to the HD consoles.
When I saw the patent, I immediately thought of certain card trading games that came out a few years back. Is this what you are hinting at?

When I saw the patent, I immediately thought of certain card trading games that came out a few years back. Is this what you are hinting at?
No. I don't want to start any rumors or reveal anything, so I'm leaving it as vague as I can. I'd really like to see the deal go through, because I love the genre, and I'd love it even more in HD.

That's what I immediately thought of. For use with their large table arcade strategy machines. Some of which are similar to card trading games.

Regards,
SB

This is definitely not arcade related. That I can assure you, and I'll tell you why -

1. The word arcade is NOT mentioned once in the description.

2. I've seen SEGA's arcade patents before, most of them have a drawing of an arcade cabinet, arcade board or arcade joystick and the word "Game Device" is mentioned as arcade game. I'll show you.

http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/D565667.html

http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/D473269.html

The word game machine is used in thier description not "Game apparatus".

The word "Game Apparatus" clearly means something else other then "arcade" or "game device".

based on his threads I personally think TEXAN is a hardcore SEGA fan that hopes that SEGA of the old will return.

Cant say whether he is wrong or not and if its just wishful thinking but who knows?

The only way I can see SEGA returning with a home console is with a partnership with another company because based on the company's past experience and the state of today's players in the hardware market I cant see SEGA having any chances at all at surviving alone with a new console. I am pretty sure they see this

MS and Sony are more than just game companies and with their hardware they incorporated so much more thanks to their other businesses such as online functionality and media features. Sega is simply a software company.

Nintendo played their cards differently and SEGA has to be extremely innovative to compete Sony and MS in multimedia, hardware and advanced features and Nintendo in its casual appeal.

I can mention tons of competitive advantages Sony, MS and Nintendo have. Sega lost almost every competitive advantage they had.

edit: Oh and I dont think there is room for 4 players in this industry. Unless Sega joins one of the existing players

Last edited by a moderator:
SEGA doesn't have the money to make a meaningful hardware comeback. It has also lost the creative strength of its R&D departments in terms of game-making. Not only that, but the Japan-centric and arcade games that were its strength are no longer in demand worldwide.

It is not coming back into the hardware market, certainly not as a PlayStation competitor. SEGA zealots really need to take a reality pill.

At most I'd expect a portable game system, but I don't think SEGA would risk even that.

More plausible if it's for the home is a low end game machine. Perhaps one of those machines that are basically game+machine and don't have a way of running any games other than what comes with it.

Either way, if they ARE coming with a home console-ish thing. I'd be willing to bet something sub-Wii rather than almost HD. :p

Regards,
SB

Back