Sony Unveils New Development Strategy For PSP

"Stolen" from NeoGAF (Nirolak):

Exclusive: Sony's new development strategy for PSP
by Michael French

SPECIAL REPORT: New content pipeline and cheaper, smaller download games on the way

Platform-holder Sony is aggressively courting developers around the world to work on digitally distributed games for PSP in a bid to grow the software offer on its handheld.

And, Develop can also reveal, the firm is planning to introduce a streamlined content pipeline for the platform – which includes abolishing concept approval – plus cheaper devkits, shorter quality assurance processes, and very low price points for new games.

Source: http://www.develop-online.net/news/32374/Exclusive-Sonys-new-development-strategy-for-PSP

It's 80% cheaper but how much is the absolute PSP SDK price ? Is there a developer fee ?

If there is no concept approval, what is the new process ? There'd still be platform holder QA right ? And how long does it take ?

A facetious reply but for some reason I can't shake the idea of Krazy Frog ring-tones. I guess my real worry is whither substance (not that this policy precludes substance).

Heh, maybe they are going to go after the iPhone gaming market? ;)

Regards,
SB

Waste of time in my opinion. Most of the games are simplistic in nature which is good when the hardware its isn't used primarily as a gaming machine. I've bought a few 99c and downloaded a few free games for my Iphone but for the purpose of actually carrying my PSP, I would want a better library of software.

Heh, maybe they are going to go after the iPhone gaming market? ;)

Regards,
SB

I hope not. One of the issues is that it is just completely buried under...crap.

What I do hope is they copy the model. I purchased a PSP for GOW, but haven't gotten any other games outside of Patapon due to the sheer price. I am not paying $40 for a UMD game. While PS3 can get some awesome $5-10 games, I wonder why the PSP can't get the same.

I am very glad they have lowered the price to get more professional outfits developing for them and that they are seeking bite size games with a bite size price.

The PSP is really neither fish nor fowl. I love the games, but many of them are too complex for gaming on the go. As a result, I probably spend more time on my PSP at home then I do while traveling. Smaller games and digital distribution will help, but they will also need a smaller form factor. It will be interesting to see how the PSP Go works out.

http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24954

Mobile-focused site PocketGamer was the first to notice a .PDF on Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's licensing website, offering details on content approval, QA process and other crucial program components.

According to the document and previous online reports, though, this particular approval phase will not be part of the process for PSP Minis, leaving the purchase decision in the hands of buyers.

In addition, Sony also expects the duration of the QA process to be shorter -- although this seems to anticipate a manageable queue of games awaiting certification at any given time, and it's likely the speed of certification will ultimately depend on the size of the Minis store.

In terms of revenue, SCEE will offer revenue monthly, with no penalty for minimum sales -- unlike WiiWare, for example, which requires developers to reach a certain sales threshold before they can reap any earnings.

Publishers are not subject to title quotas or bandwidth charges, either. It was also recently claimed that games, demos, and anything on the PlayStation Network require a 16-cent fee per gigabyte of data -- this will not be the case for PSP Minis.

...more in the link above.

More details on PSP Minis:
http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25294

At GDC Austin on Wednesday, Sony confirmed that the bite-sized PSP Mini digital download games will not be allowed to have wireless multiplayer functionality, downloadable content, or software updates.

Sony Computer Entertainment America senior account manager Justin Cooney said that the decision to bar the features is to "accelerate the approval process."

Sony announced PSP Minis in August. The games are restricted to a 100MB download size and centered on pick-up-and-play accessibility. Minis launch with the revised PSP hardware, PSP Go, on October 1, with a library of 15 games, including iPhone-derived games like Fieldrunners and Hero of Sparta.

Would iPhone developers who want to bring their products over to PSP become turned off by Sony's PSP Mini restrictions? "I think from an iPhone perspective, you can create a Minis product from your iPhone product, or create a [full-size] PSP game," Cooney said. "Nothing stops you from bringing an iPhone product to the PlayStation platform. It's just really up to the developer to decide if they want it to be a regular title or a PSP Mini title."

John Howard with InMotion software, developers of the iPhone game I Dig It, is one developer expressing interest in porting iPhone games over to PSP Minis. Howard wasn't terribly concerned with the inability to have multiplayer, DLC, or even updates. He was just pleased to see that there is yet another venue for small, bite-sized games.

"If it's going to be as simple as they say it's going to be, and the pricing model is realistic, we'll deal with the downsides. All platforms have a downside," he said.

If I understand it correctly, it means the devs will just ask you to delete the old one and install the new version (to sidestep the no update limitation). They will have to work out an authentication and authorization scheme to prevent piracy.

Actually, the huge missing piece is the cellular network. iPhone apps can remain connected anywhere. It's not just a PSP Minis problem.

Even with a network connection, I don't think it'll be used a lot because PSP only relies on WiFi. If Sony releases a mini-USB cell network adaptor, then we're talking. That's all IMHO.

iPod touches don't connect to the cell network. That doesn't dissuade apps from having Wifi multiplayer and downloading from the internet. Confining multiplayer to physically passing the PSP around is laughable.

If I understand it correctly, it means the devs will just ask you to delete the old one and install the new version (to sidestep the no update limitation).

This is how most software updates work, including on the iPhone. Given that nobody would say that iPhone apps don't support software updates, I think the PSP Minis mean something else.

The limitations don't mesh with their stated reasons, unless they have a really tiny QA team. It's all highly restricted compared to the App Store limits, and seems artificially so, perhaps to upsell developers to full games that presumably provide more revenue for Sony.

Last edited by a moderator:
iPod touches don't connect to the cell network. That doesn't dissuade apps from having Wifi multiplayer and downloading from the internet. Confining multiplayer to physically passing the PSP around is laughable.

In this case, Sony wants the dev to go through the PSP full licensing process. I totally forgot about iPod Touches (All my friends use iPhone or Nano). I don't know how fast is the approval in both cases.

This is how most software updates work, including on the iPhone. Given that nobody would say that iPhone apps don't support software updates, I think the PSP Minis mean something else.

Depends. Most software update is automated these days (including authorization). The PSP Minis scheme sounds like it's all a fully manual process. The experience would be more like buying an entire new program and manually removing the old one.

The limitations don't mesh with their stated reasons, unless they have a really tiny QA team. It's all highly restricted compared to the App Store limits, and seems artificially so, perhaps to upsell developers to full games that presumably provide more revenue for Sony.

Possibly. Or it may be a case where they don't expect a lot of Minis profit to support a large QA team. They can always revise their policies as they go along (just like iPhone) - if they earn more.

Actually, the huge missing piece is the cellular network. iPhone apps can remain connected anywhere. It's not just a PSP Minis problem.

Even with a network connection, I don't think it'll be used a lot because PSP only relies on WiFi. If Sony releases a mini-USB cell network adaptor, then we're talking. That's all IMHO.

This is why I believe the PSP Go is not so much Go. I would have loved to see a cellular network services so you can download content on the Go. I am never around an open wifi spot so I am always tied to a PC to download PSP content. Maybe they are saving it for the "next gen" PSP. I hope so.

I too think the restrictions are there to up sell devs to a full PSP license. Spend a small amount, you can do this, give us more and you can do that.

Saw a bunch of Minis video:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/18/a-tiny-glance-at-psp-minis-digital-comics/

It's supposed to arrive on 1st October with 15 titles:
http://www.pspminis.com/56/psp-minis-launch-titles/

In other news, Sony patents TouchEngine, some touch screen technology:
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/09/29/sony-working-on-a-touchengine/

Sony trademarked the term TouchEngine for use with everything from analog/digital controllers for video game, namely joysticks to car navigation computers.

In other news, Sony patents TouchEngine, some touch screen technology:
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/09/29/sony-working-on-a-touchengine/

Somehow after seeing the DS3 work with the PSP-Go over BluTooth, I'm suddenly thinking that they would make a touch-based controller that could work with a variety of devices, including the PSP-Go ... I know, totally crazy, but still - imagine you could use it with the PSP-Go, with your PS3 and as a universal remote type device in general?

Nah, I'm probably dreaming.

Back