Darksiders,give it some love :)

As to the game - I'm fairly early in (just got my
wings
) but I'm definitely feeling a Soul Reaver vibe to this game. I love it! SR was one of my favourite Dreamcast games, so it's great to be able to enjoy that feeling again.

Oh man, wait until you get...well some of the other things (I dont want to spoil anything).

The game doesnt really get going until roughly 1.5 hours into the game.

I'm about 2hrs into it "PS3 version" and totally love it so far. It struck me as a surprise how fluent and familiar the game felt, I guess it brings back all the sweet memories of those other classic games I've played:). The story, voice acting and presentation were awesome, can't wait to get my ride now.

i got the game on Tuesday (PS3) and have been enjoying it. Although on Eurogamers review the said to play on hard. I think I may be super rusty on this type of game because it's REALLY difficult for me, you tend to die in 4/5 hits, not good for boss or sub-boss battles.

The graphics are ok, really nothing special but i like it enough though it does look a bit washed out to me. Can't say I've noticed much tearing, maybe just once so far. ::EDIT:: Ok now further into the game and it's tearing a LOT more.

It does feel a lot like a Legacy of Kain game, so I like that about it. One thing I have an issue with is the controls. Perhaps I'm alone here, but it goesn't feel natural enough to me, especially after playng the GoW 3 demo so much. This is especially true of the flying section where I had to rest my hand after, it just felt so awkward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played some of the game (Xbox 360 version). I wasn't impressed by the graphics to be honest, especially after seeing the ol' GOW Collection in action. The main character looks like somehow straight from the WOW universe and up to now I think the environment lacks details and seems extremely spars. What I did not like is the looks of the finishing move, when you press B near by an enemy...the blood splatter looks somehow cheap.

what I liked was the looks of the (mini?) boss 'prison guards man' (don't know his name in english)...he looked really cool

What really surprises me: the 'wall running' animations (and the trail based system seems to be directly) copied from Prince of Persia...looks very familiar.

Regarding tearing: I had a lot of tearing, just move the camera, tearing is in the middle of the screen and there is really a lot of it. Fortunately I don't mind tearing at all, it does not bother me.

The second thing that surprises me: the fighting is difficult! I am thinking about switching to easy, because I die a lot.

Overall I like the game so far and I am looking forward to upgrade my character :)

I like it a lot (PS3 version). It's exactly the kind of game i've been waiting for since I completed Legacy of Kain - Defiance all those years ago. It's an old fashioned action adventure game with some surprisingly complex and challenging puzzles and relatively deep combat mechanics. Controls are very fluid and responsive, but I don't like how blocking is handled. You basically have to wait until War has completed a move and then press and hold the guard button. If you try to buffer the command in earlier War will just stand there and take a beating - not very elegant to say the least. No big deal though as the combat portion of the game is rather easy. It also gets pushed more and more into the background the further you proceed. By the way, I think Darksiders is the first game with enjoyable on-horse-combat. It's simple, yet very effective and it looks just as powerful as it is. Too bad you get Ruin so late in the game.
The graphics aren't going to win any awards for outstanding technological achievements, but I really dig the art (so what if it looks like WoW? - Might as well say WoW looks like a Madureira comic book then. His art just looks like that, and has in fact been looking just like that long before WoW came out. Probably no coincidence that Blizzard picked him for drawing WoW comic books)
Both War and all the creatures, in particular the towering bosses, all look appropriately menacing, are richly detailed and they also animate incredibly well. Effects, fire in particular, look also fantastic. I actually like the backgrounds too. I don't think they look sparse, just desolate and devoid of the shiny wet look that's so commonplace now in games. Dungeons look really nice actually.

Done and done.

Love this game! I'll not repeat myself since I've already mentioned, in this thread, my thoughts in regards to the gameplay and what I liked and didnt like. What I will say is the game wraps up nicely, the last boss is fun, doesnt feel cheap and is fairly epic. Love the way the ending, plot-wise, btw. :)

Thoughts on some of the final gameplay segments, so dont click if you've not completed the game:

Near the end of the game it heads in a direction that I generally dislike--backtracking. You're required to gather several peices of the Armageddon sword to defeat Abbadon, and my first reaction was "Oh lordy...no!" But, what I think, the smart thing Vigil did here is encourage your urge to visit portions of the game, that you previously could not, with your newly aquired abilities. It's easy enough to just focus on gathering the peices of the sword if you wish (it's actually not as arduous of a process as I thought it would be, and besides you ge tto ride Ruin more), but I quickly found myself jumping, smashing and pulling my way into areas to gather more items. Though it's not as well done as Batman:AA in my opinion, its still fun enough for those that are interested in doing so.

Again, if you're on the fence about this game because you've not heard much about it or already have a stack of games to play--push them aside and pick this up. It's a fun game!

I love the game. It is soo nice when it feels like a game comes out of nowhere is really really good. There is so much hype and PR nowadays that it is more of a standard that the games underperform than the other way around.

Love the character design, the level design and the fighting and puzzles. It is an action adventure, so if you are a Ninja Gaiden & Co nut and feel that those games are a breeze then maybe you might think that the fighting in Darksiders is not that hard and has the same depth and well... it doesn't and personally I don't think it should. I think they have a very nice balance between fighting, exploration and puzzles, although I would not have mind having a bit more of those.

Great great game and if they release a patch for the tearing even better...

Playtime? Tearing [x360]?

My play time was roughly 18-19 hours. That's without getting everything, so it's a fairly meaty game.

The tearing, to me, is certainly there but not as big of an issue as some people are making it out to be. Just my 2 cents...

My play time was roughly 18-19 hours. That's without getting everything, so it's a fairly meaty game.

The tearing, to me, is certainly there but not as big of an issue as some people are making it out to be. Just my 2 cents...

Hey Uncharted Drake's Fortune has a lot of tearing but that doesn't stop it from being a great game :)
I was ready to give it some love, but the $40 sale only applied to the 360 version.

I've bought and played a couple of hours of Darksiders on PS3. Really a lot of fun. Feels very God of War so far, but with a far more interactive environment, lots more objects around that can be picked up or smashed than GoW ever had.

I've found myself wondering if God of War III will add as much to the formula, even. Darksiders has a more generic feel to it (their War has less personality, and the name is dullllsville) and the story isn't all that so far, but it's nice having GoW action with a movable camera and a more interesting environment.

I love the combat and finishing moves, very fluent and intuitive. Riding on Ruin while dispatching the worms were the most satisfying experience I had so far. So many puzzles in the Black throne and kinda make the puzzles in GOW2 like a walk in the park.

How does this game compare to Dante's Inferno, in terms of gameplay and difficulty?

I've been thinking about getting an action game like this, but have been put off by the difficulty.

Edit: Scratch that. I didn't realize that Dante's Inferno doesn't ship unt Feb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got this on PS3. I'm finding the combat to be... more responsive than Dante's Inferno. Hard to describe. It's faster paced? But it's just when I'm hitting the attack buttons or jumping. Just seems faster when I want to do something else. Too bad there's no demo.

I'm liking the visuals so far. Vibrant and... consistent? Reminds me of Warcraft in a way (some of the designs or something), except managing to be a few orders of magnitude more serious looking. :p Definitely digging the armour/weapon design on War.

I've only been playing it for about 5 minutes and it just seems more fun. :p Throwing cars at angels is... ;) Back to playing.

Normal's not too bad. It's those mini-boss monsters that are somewhat bigger than you that are a pain, but I have a feeling I just need to dodge more (or buy new upgrades/ attack moves). There are a few powers/abilities to unlock through the story. I haven't tried the hard mode. I figure I'll see how it goes because I'm still near the beginning.

Kind of interested to see how much backtracking there is because there did seem to be a couple areas I could see, but not reach (bloody tease). For the most part the loading is seamless.

I'm finding myself spending a lot of time picking up cars to throw or smash them directly into enemies. :p

ps360's analysis is over in the framerate thread. It seems like they properly set the maximum framerate to 30 (perhaps that pseudo v-lock we've heard about). The tearing is still there, but it's reduced by quite a bit it seems. :)

Back