actual speed of a Giga Network ?

rainz

Veteran
What's supposed to be the actual speed of a network all with Gigabit network cards ? all 10/1000

Is it something around 15mb/sec ?

Thanks

In reality, it depends on your network. Many cheap gigabit switches can't sustain full gigabit speeds, and I presume the same would apply for cheap gigabit network cards/chips as well.

That said, I have a Netgear GS108T managed gigabit smart switch here, and transferring a large file over the network using that switch, from Ramdisk -> Ramdisk (to eliminate the HDD as a bottleneck), I've gotten close to ~100MB/s sustained transfer speed. I had to enable jumbo frames to achieve that kind of throughput, however.

How is your network setup, ie: what connects your systems together? Is it the switch built into that router or do you have the PCs connected by some other means? What cables are you using? Yes, cables make a difference for Gigabit networking.

the 2 computers are plugged directly into that router. using random crappy ethernet cables i had laying around. I ordered this week 2 new cables CAT6 500mhz from monoprice. Since i have absolutely no idea what are the specs on my cables.

that's about it.

Still waiting for my cables to be delivered tho

the 2 computers are plugged directly into that router. using random crappy ethernet cables i had laying around. I ordered this week 2 new cables CAT6 500mhz from monoprice. Since i have absolutely no idea what are the specs on my cables.

that's about it.

Still waiting for my cables to be delivered tho
Don't get sucked into that kind of sales pitch. Type of cable will make little difference. While cat6 is ideal (and is what I use), the choice of cable is very unlikely to be the culprit here. Cat5 cable can carry gigabit as well.

More likely, the problem is the fact that the router you linked to isn't even a gigabit switch. The specifications say "Four: 10/100 RJ-45 Switched Ports". To achieve gigabit speeds, you need a gigabit switch.

Even if the cables and network routers/switches give you perfect gigabit speeds, you may be limited by your harddrives.

Yup for me, my HDs are the main limiting factor. Which isn't a problem as it just means my LAN transfers basically happen at a similar to speed to my local machine transfers.

Regards,
SB

CPU is a limiter too. You need something with guts to push max throughput, something around 2 GHz probably.

Regular PCI is a bottleneck too if you're running the NIC on there.

PCIe or PCI NIC?

On my Tualatin and Athlon XP 2000+, I can't get >25% of a gigabit connection. Tried both with the Intel 1000 GT NIC that I have.

I think most good network cards would push the packet decoding/encoding to dedicated hardware anyway. But even if it doesn't, and it uses software, you can enable jumbo frames to cut down on the processing (which I think you should do anyway).

Default packet size is ~1.5K data I believe. Usually you can go up to 9K frame sizes, which cuts down on the processing load by a factor of 6.

Problem with Jumbo frames is that everything on the network should support them or you can have trouble. So, my WRT54G, gateway from me to u, might not be happy. Thus it's not worth it.

I am starting to wonder if the Pro 1000 GT isn't that great perhaps.

For me at the time it was an onboard Broadcom implementation. The file server got replaced when Vista came out however as Vista pre-SP1 had problems with Broadcom gigabit implementations. I think it was a Broadcom driver problem but didn't stick around to find out. Hell for all I know, older Broadcom gig-e implementations might STILL have problems with Vista. Replaced it with an opteron board with realtek gig-e. Eventually put in a Sun Ultra 40-M2 to serve as WHS server + other duties. It's nice to have 8x hotswap drives.

Regards,
SB

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabit-ethernet-bandwidth,2321.html
When I was all done collecting the pieces, I remember copying a large file over the old 100 megabit equipment, which took about a minute and a half, and then upgrading to the gigabit network. After the upgrade, it took about 40 seconds to copy the same file. It was a nice performance boost, but not quite the 10 times difference between 100 Mb/s and 1 Gb/s I was expecting.

What's with that, anyway?

Another quote from that article
Why aren't our Gigabit networks delivering Gigabit speeds?

Surprise, they probably are!

While in real-world situations, the network will be severely bottlenecked by the hard drives. In a synthetic memory-to-memory scenario we demonstrated that our plain-Jane gigabit network delivered speeds very close to the theoretical 125 MB/s gigabit limitation. Typical drive-to-drive network speeds in a real-world situation will likely be limited from 20 to 85 MB/s, depending on the speed of the hard disks.

sr7y I figured that the article answered the original posters questions all of them and if they wanted answers they would read it :)

Why are you apologising? I just wanted to paste something from the conclusion that concurred with what I said earlier. :D

Back