UFC 100 - 11 July 2009

This weekend:

Main card

* Heavyweight Championship bout: Flag of the United States Champion Brock Lesnar vs. Flag of the United States Interim Champion Frank Mir
* Welterweight Championship bout: Flag of Canada Georges St-Pierre vs. Flag of Brazil Thiago Alves
* Welterweight bout: Flag of the United States Jon Fitch vs. Flag of Brazil Paulo Thiago
* Middleweight bout: Flag of the United States Dan Henderson vs. Flag of the United Kingdom Michael Bisping
* Middleweight bout: Flag of Japan Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Flag of the United States Alan Belcher

Preliminary card

* Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United States Mark Coleman vs. Flag of the United States Stephan Bonnar
* Lightweight bout: Flag of the United States Mac Danzig vs. Flag of the United States Jim Miller
* Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United States Jon Jones vs. Flag of the United States Jake O'Brien
* Welterweight bout: Flag of South Korea Dong Hyun Kim vs. Flag of Canada TJ Grant
* Middleweight bout: Flag of the United States C.B. Dollaway vs. Flag of the United States Tom Lawlor
* Lightweight bout: Flag of the United States Matt Grice vs. Flag of the United States Shannon Gugerty

UFC 100 Official Site
UFC : Ultimate Fighting Championship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVE3HotLUZg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEyvjPQcSEY

------------------------------------

Brock to reign supreme in UFC

BRUTE strength will overcome tactical nous when Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir battle to decide who is the undisputed UFC heavyweight champion.

The pair collide on Saturday night in the main event at UFC 100, with former WWE star favourite to avenge the defeat he suffered at the hands of Mir in February 2008.

Lesnar, 31, is an absolute behemoth of a champion who claimed the UFC gold after only his third fight in the organisation.

A truly incredible wrestling pedigree, fists like jackhammers and a surprisingly good gas tank for such a big man, he provides problems for any heavyweight.

Add to this combination the fact he's training under Greg Nelson — the man who turned one dimensional wrestler Sean Sherk into the lightweight champ — and he suddenly becomes a REAL problem in the division.

Lesnar admits he has room for improvement, and with that in mind, the 31-year-old could have the potential to hold the title for a long time to come.

But Mir, 30, already boasts that victory over Lesnar — although if you watch that fight you'll swear he was losing until he pulled off the kneebar which secured him the win.

After pulling off a victory that even he was surprised at against Antonio 'Minotauro' Nogueira, he rematches Lesnar for the right to be called the undisputed champion.

With almost four times as much experience as Lesnar and arguably more finesse to his technique many see this bout as brawn against brains.

Don't be fooled by Mir's last performance though — although his striking has improved substantially, he's susceptible to heavy strikers and if he can't impose his will early he often struggles.

This bout has fascinated the staff at Fighters Only who are split in their opinion. Randy Couture showed that Lesnar can be controlled with technique.

But Lesnar proved against The Natural that those big strikes of his don't have to land clean to finish a fight.

Mir has great submissions off his back which is handy as I don't think he'll be able to stop the takedowns.

But whether he'll be able to pull off a submission while being put under tremendous physical duress is debatable.

I'm tipping Lesnar via TKO within the first three rounds.

News Source: Brock to reign supreme in UFC | The Sun |Sport|UFC

-------------------------------

Alves will be no match for GSP

GEORGES ST PIERRE puts his welterweight title on the line against explosive Brazilian youngster Thiago Alves at UFC 100.

Alves' nickname of 'The Pitbull' couldn't be more fitting — he's ferocious and tenacious and will not let up until he has well and truly won.

Currently on a seven-fight win streak with five of those coming by KO or TKO in the second round, this physically imposing 25-year-old is a handful for any fighter.

Fighting out of American Top Team, who are well known for their fighters' ability to cut massive amounts of weight for a fight, expect Alves to be the bigger man in this clash.

Alves is a 'pressure fighter' who is always on the offensive, favouring Muay Thai-style striking and possessing great takedown defence.

On the other hand, St. Pierre is the quintessential mixed martial artist who is good at EVERYTHING.

UFC icon Matt Hughes — who is 1-2 to GSP — told Fighters Only that "the problem with Georges is that you don't know which one's going to turn up — the grappler or the striker".

In his demolition of John Fitch, GSP showed that his technique, speed and work rate does not diminish over five, five minute rounds.

Against BJ Penn he showed that his strategy is impeccable. St Pierre's only weakness appears to be the fact that he's open to the power punch, as his loss to Matt Serra showed.

But what's really sublime are the champ's 'stutter steps' which he uses to keep his opponents guessing as to what's coming next. Is it a kick? A jab? A superman right hand? Whatever it is, it's usually landed by the time they've figured it out.

Alves will be looking to chop away at St.Pierre's legs with his powerful right leg kick, hoping to slow down GSP's footwork.

But St Pierre, 28, will have the reach advantage and will be looking to use this in combination with his footwork to control the distance and engage on his own terms.

If Alves can get on the inside he could certainly harass St Pierre but as we've seen before the Canadian is more than capable in a clinch situation.

Alves' big chance is to land the power shot and land it early. Once St.Pierre gets settled into a rhythm he's nigh on unflappable.

I see GSP taking this either by decision or submission in the later, championship rounds.

Providing he can avoid the early flurry he'll pick off and wear down Alves until he is in a position to finish the fight.

Alves certainly has the potential to be a future champion but he will have to wait a while longer before St Pierre relinquishes the strap.

News Source: Alves will be no match for GSP | The Sun |Sport|UFC

Bisping tipped to see off Hendo

MICHAEL BISPING faces the fight of his life against Dan Henderson at UFC 100, but the Brit's grit will see him through.

The American is a legend in mixed martial arts but I'm not clear as to why he is such a heavy favourite to win this match.

A former holder of two Pride FC titles, Hendo has faced and beaten some of the sport's best and, along with Matt Lindland and Randy Couture, virtually wrote the book on how Greco Roman wrestlers could be successful in MMA.

Henderson, 38, boasts a knockout right hand, excellent front head lock, excellent collar tie up and dirty boxing. He is a no frills fighter who gets the job done effectively.

But I don't see him beating Bisping on Saturday night.

There isn't much that I need to write about the 30-year-old Lancastrian as most people reading this will already know plenty about him.

From a technical standpoint, I will say that I don't expect wrestling to be a factor in this fight. When Bisping fought Rashad Evans he demonstrated that even if you take him down, you can't keep him on the ground.

In each of his recent fights, the Englishman has shown us something slightly different but one thing remains constant — his self belief. When he's put in a tough spot he digs deep and never gives up.

I don't see how style-wise this is much different to Henderson's split decision victory over Rich Franklin. However, Bisping is more mobile than Franklin and certainly more agile than Henderson.

The American veteran will try to cut off the cage, reducing Bisping's angles, and if possible work the collar tie up and grind down his opponent with dirty boxing.

But I feel that Bisping is faster, stronger and more motivated than Henderson and it'll be The Count's night at UFC 100.

He will set a pace that Hendo will struggle to match, especially in the later rounds.

On the night I believe Bisping will rise to the challenge and outpoint Henderson with pinpoint striking to take a decision victory and a huge step towards the No1 middleweight contender spot.

News Source: Bisping tipped to see off Hendo | The Sun |Sport|UFC

-----------------------------

Playboy babe nets UFC deal

GORGEOUS model Holly Madison will make a guest appearance as an Octagon Girl at UFC 100.

The stunning blonde — who shot to fame after dating Playboy boss Hugh Hefner — will perform ring card duties during bouts at the Saturday showpiece.

Madison will join regular Octagon babes Arianny Celeste, Edith Labelle and Logan Stanton at the event, which features top British fighter Michael Bisping taking on Dan Henderson in the co-main event.

The night's other big bouts see Brock Lesnar taking on Frank Mir in a bid to unify the heavyweight championship, while Georges St Pierre defends his welterweight strap against Thiago Alves.

And keen MMA fan Madison cannot hide her joy at being asked to take part in the spectacle.

She said: "It's been a dream of mine since becoming a fan of the UFC — and watching the incredible athleticism of the fighters — to do the honours of being an Octagon Girl for a night."

UFC president Dana White admitted he was delighted to have the 29-year-old Girls Next Door star on board.

He said: "UFC 100 marks the biggest event in the history of our company, so it's the perfect time to bring in the Ultimate Octagon Girl in Holly Madison.

"Not only is Holly one of the world's most beautiful women but she is a huge fan and supporter of the UFC.

"We're looking forward to having her with us on July 11."

News Source: Playboy babe nets UFC deal | The Sun |Sport|UFC

--------------------------------

White issues warning to GSP

DANA WHITE has warned Georges St Pierre of the 'massive' threat Thiago Alves poses to his welterweight title reign.

White will be a keen onlooker when Canadian star St Pierre puts his championship on the line against The Pitbull at UFC 100 on Saturday night.

And the UFC president claims 'Rush' will face the fight of his life against explosive 25-year-old Brazilian upstart Alves.

White said: "People don't realise what a big fight this is for Georges.

"I feel his fight has been overshadowed by the one between Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir.

"I'm not taking anything away from Georges but the last two guys he beat weighed 155lbs and Thiago cuts down from 200lbs — this kid is huge!

"He's very well-rounded and has great takedown defence and this will be a MASSIVE test for Georges St Pierre."

Should St Pierre, 28, retain his strap, a mega-fight with middleweight champion Anderson Silva has been mooted.

And speaking to MMA Connected, White revealed: "If GSP wins this fight, I put him in the No2 position for pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

"I'd like to see him win a couple more fights at 170lbs but who knows, perhaps we'll make a superfight between him and Anderson Silva next year."

News Source: White issues warning to GSP | The Sun |Sport|UFC

-----------------------------

St Pierre concerned over Thiago

GEORGES ST PIERRE admits he is wary of the threat Thiago Alves poses to his welterweight title.

Canadian ace St Pierre, 28, puts his belt on the line against The Pitbull in Saturday night's co-main event at UFC 100.

And GSP is well aware of the explosive ability the 25-year-old from Brazil will bring to the Octagon as he attempts to end his reign at the top of the 170lbs division.

St Pierre said: "This is going to be my toughest test so far. I'm expecting a war and I'm ready for a war.

"He's a great striker and hits very hard. He's a very good wrestler and difficult to get on the floor and is a very big guy for 170lbs.

"I think overall I am a better fighter than him but it's not the best fighter who's going to win this fight, it's the fighter who fights the best."

If St Pierre retains his belt he can expect a super-fight against pound-for-pound No1 Anderson Silva — the UFC middleweight champion — next year.

But GSP shrugs off suggestions a win over Alves would elevate him above The Spider in the rankings.

Speaking to MMA Canada, he added: "I still have a lot to do to be considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world."

News Source: St Pierre concerned over Thiago | The Sun |Sport|UFC

I cannot wait for this event! I put small bets on few internet sites to make watching it a bit more exciting eventhough the card is pretty great on its own. I think Bisping for one has a good chance to win, gambling sites have put him a 3,5:1 underdog and imo that's grazy.

The championship matches are both mega interesting!

Yep agreed about the big fights. The smaller fights are also interesting imo.

Mark Coleman vs. Stephan Bonnar should be an awesome fight. Hope Coleman has been getting fit. The Mac Danzig and C.B. Dollaway fights should also be interesting.

Bisping hasn't beat anyone even close to the level that Henderson is at, and only ridiculous judging got him the win over Hamill - a wrestler with very poor MMA skills at the time, and probably not as good as Hendo even at wrestling.

The only way he's going to win is if he's improved a lot and if Hendo is on the decline. We don't have any evidence for or against either, so I'm not surprised at the odds at all. 1.5 years ago, I'd bet on Hendo even if he was -400 at the bookies.

Bisping hasn't beat anyone even close to the level that Henderson is at, and only ridiculous judging got him the win over Hamill - a wrestler with very poor MMA skills at the time, and probably not as good as Hendo even at wrestling.

The only way he's going to win is if he's improved a lot and if Hendo is on the decline. We don't have any evidence for or against either, so I'm not surprised at the odds at all. 1.5 years ago, I'd bet on Hendo even if he was -400 at the bookies.

Henderson hasn't shown anything particularly impressive in the UFC gage and his gas tank is a bit questionable. Imo the win over the ¨not so great anymore either¨ Franklin was questionable, because of the eye pokes and after the first round he wasn't doing so great. Bisping is the better striker no question and has a good chin and cardio. Henderson is a extremely tough dude and clearly has the advantage in wrestling, but 3,5:1 advantage in the fight! No way... I'd put my money on Bisping even if they had the same odds. Bisping is very underrated imo.

Henderson hasn't shown anything particularly impressive in the UFC gage and his gas tank is a bit questionable. Imo the win over the ¨not so great anymore either¨ Franklin was questionable, because of the eye pokes and after the first round he wasn't doing so great.
Franklin is no pushover. Aside from that fight, he's beaten everyone except Silva, who's virtually unbeatable. Moreover, Henderson was more competitive with Silva than anyone else ever was. I think he's totally proven that he's near the top of the Middleweight division.

Bisping is the better striker no question and has a good chin and cardio. Henderson is a extremely tough dude and clearly has the advantage in wrestling, but 3,5:1 advantage in the fight! No way... I'd put my money on Bisping even if they had the same odds. Bisping is very underrated imo.
If you truly think so, you should really put money on him. The bookies always make money, but that doesn't mean the public opinion that they base the odds on doesn't grossly misjudge odds once in a while. For Wimbledon, I bet on Roddick in the semis and Haas in the quarters because their odds were way too low given the way they were playing, IMO. Even if I lost one I would have been happy with my decision.

Bisping may be underrated, but only if he has a lot more to show than he has so far. His last three wins came against nobodies, so I can't really tell anything from that, and his fight vs. Hamill (who had below average striking at the time) tells me that he needed a lot of improvement to be in the same league as the best middleweights.

I'm also betting on Alves, but only as a consolation prize that I'm hoping to lose. :LOL: Can't wait to see GSP destroy yet another top fighter.

EDIT: Brilliant!

Last edited by a moderator:
Franklin is no pushover. Aside from that fight, he's beaten everyone except Silva, who's virtually unbeatable. Moreover, Henderson was more competitive with Silva than anyone else ever was. I think he's totally proven that he's near the top of the Middleweight division.

Henderson is 2-2 in the UFC and his loss to Silva is the only fight that didn't go to the decision(the another loss was against Rampage in UFC 75). His opponents have been good, but still his performances haven't imo been that good, especially after the first round. I agree with you that Hamill should have won the fight against Bisping due to his excellent first round, but Bisping showed good chin and cardio in that fight with his strong third round comeback. Henderson is soon 39 and that sadly means past his prime, Bisping however is just entering into his better years.

I like Henderson though he seems to be an honest down to earth guy and tough as anybody else, while Bisping is arrogant a bit overly confident and looks and acts like a Liverpool soccer hooligan. I think Bisping is going to break the all time booing record on saturday :)

If you truly think so, you should really put money on him. The bookies always make money, but that doesn't mean the public opinion that they base the odds on doesn't grossly misjudge odds once in a while. For Wimbledon, I bet on Roddick in the semis and Haas in the quarters because their odds were way too low given the way they were playing, IMO. Even if I lost one I would have been happy with my decision.

Bisping may be underrated, but only if he has a lot more to show than he has so far. His last three wins came against nobodies, so I can't really tell anything from that, and his fight vs. Hamill (who had below average striking at the time) tells me that he needed a lot of improvement to be in the same league as the best middleweights.

I'm also betting on Alves, but only as a consolation prize that I'm hoping to lose. :LOL: Can't wait to see GSP destroy yet another top fighter.

EDIT: Brilliant!

:LOL: that was funny. Anyways I did put small bets on the fights and Bisping is my number one pick, I have Alves winning also and Mir on a separate bet, because the odds were giving me the feeling they are worth it. I prolly still root for Lesnar though :)

haha, I do feel Henderson should come out on top but guess we'll have to wait and see.

Anyway for me:

* Heavyweight Championship bout: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir - Brock to win
* Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre vs. Thiago Alves - GSP if he fights like he did his last fight
* Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago - Thiago
* Middleweight bout: Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping - Henderson

Preliminary card

* Light Heavyweight bout: Mark Coleman vs. Stephan Bonnar - Coleman - If Mark has raised his fitness level, Bonnar if it goes to round 3
* Lightweight bout: Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller - Mac
* Light Heavyweight bout: Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien - Jon Jones
* Middleweight bout: C.B. Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor - Dollaway

I think Fitch and Bonnar are going to win their fights. Coleman better have a HUGE upgrade on his gas tank to stand any chance.

Bisping so thoroughly eating Henderson's right was the highlight of the evening for me. Though the follow-up forearm smash to his face when the judge hesitated was icing on the cake.

Bisping so thoroughly eating Henderson's right was the highlight of the evening for me. Though the follow-up forearm smash to his face when the judge hesitated was icing on the cake.
I felt a little uncomfortable with that last punch, and normally I'd condemn that sort of thing. However, it being Bisping made me feel a bit better.

On ESPN they have a post fight special, and apparently between rounds Henderson said to his corner that Bisping "hits like a bitch". :LOL: Boy did he just plummet down the rankings.

Having said all that, GSP vs. Alves was the highlight for me, despite it going to a decision. As a Canadian I'm biased, but even so GSP just continues to amaze me. He was taking down Alves - the biggest and strongest WW we've ever seen - at will with a busted groin!

* Heavyweight Championship bout: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir - Brock to win
* Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre vs. Thiago Alves - GSP if he fights like he did his last fight
* Middleweight bout: Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping - Henderson

hehe

Seems I was right for the time being :D

As for Brock, awesome fight but I also think the only person who might be able to match him is Shane Carwin.

Hopefully, we can see a fight between them sometime soon.

Damn :)

Mark Coleman defeated Stephan Bonnar by unanimous decision. All three judges scored the fight 29-28.

Dollway, Paulo Thiago and Mac Danzig lost.

UFC 100 RESULTS

Brock Lesnar defeated Frank Mir by TKO at 1:48 of round 2 to retain the UFC heavyweight championship.

Jon Fitch defeated Paulo Thiago by unanimous decision. The judges scored the fight 30-27, 29-28, and 29-28.

Georges St. Pierre defeated Thiago Alves by unanimous decision to retain the UFC welterweight championship.. The judges scores were 50-45, 50-44, and 50-45.

Dan Henderson defeated Mike Bisping by knockout at 3:20 of round 2.

Yoshihiro Akiyama defeated Alan Belcher by split decision. The three judges scored the fight 30-27 Akiyama, 29-28 Belcher, and 29-28 Akiyama.

Mark Coleman defeated Stephan Bonnar by unanimous decision. All three judges scored the fight 29-28.

Jim Miller defeated Mac Danzig by unanimous decision. All three judges scored the fight 30-27.

Jon Jones defeated Jake O’Brien at 2:43 of round 2 by submission with a no-arm d’arce choke.

Dong Hyun Kim defeated TJ Grant by unanimous decision. All three judges scored the fight for 30-26.

Tom Lawlor defeated CB Dollaway at :55 of round 1 with a guillotine choke.

Shannon Gugerty defeated Matt Grice by submission at 2:36 of round 1with a guillotine choke.

News Source: http://www.15rounds.com/ufc-100-results-071209/

Hehe if I edit the stuff I said about Bisping will you guys forget I ever said them? Please :oops:

Bisping really was a little bitch. Lesnar was really impressive, but he could work on his behaviour a bit... GSP was really good, but maybe Alves can improve with a couple more years of training as I'm sure his pretty tough even today to the other guys in that division. GSP is just in a class of his own. Belcher got robbed in his fight, I can't believe that decision and one of the refs gave it 30-27 for the japanese guy WTF?!

Next UFC i going to be great also.

"And I might just get on top of my wife tonight!"

I think that little piece of maturity along with bad-mouthing a major sponsor and flipping off the crowd is what got his little chit-chat from Dana after the event was over. I hope UFC signs someone like Fedor to a 1-fight contract and he pounds Lesnar into the ground.

I hope UFC signs someone like Fedor to a 1-fight contract and he pounds Lesnar into the ground.
Yeah, that's not how the UFC operates. The have pretty oppressive contracts, not letting you fight anywhere else, not letting you leave while you have the belt (not even if you retire), forcing you to sign away your lifetime video game rights, having the ability to cut you without compensation (how's that for a double standard?), etc. I can't even believe that labour laws allow this stuff, as it's not like you have any IP. Anyway, we'll see if White compromises a bit for the best fighter on the planet.

I think Shane Carwin can take the title from Lesnar, too. He's as big as Lesnar and has ridiculous power, an iron chin, a wrestling base, and some intelligence. Junior Dos Santos is unproven but looks scary as well.

Yeah, that's not how the UFC operates. The have pretty oppressive contracts, not letting you fight anywhere else, not letting you leave while you have the belt (not even if you retire), forcing you to sign away your lifetime video game rights, having the ability to cut you without compensation (how's that for a double standard?), etc. I can't even believe that labour laws allow this stuff, as it's not like you have any IP. Anyway, we'll see if White compromises a bit for the best fighter on the planet.

Oh, I know, it was just wishful thinking on my part since Fedor is the only MMA heavyweight I'm fairly confident of being able to punish Lesnar.

Back