Alan Wake: Microsoft preparing to leave PC gamers behind (again)

I seem to recall that MS saved the game basically. Remedy ran out of money during the long development. Since MS obtained all rights for the game, they used it as one of their Xbox-kills-PC split personality schemes. It was initially going to be Vista + 360 but then went 360 exclusive.

It's cool to see it selling on Steam. I wonder if that drops off quick or not....

Very cool to see the successful sales on Steam. Being digital only has to help in a huge way as there is no added investment in physical duplication, packaging, shipping, retail agreements, etc.

Regards,
SB

Making of Alan Wake feature on edge.
http://www.edge-online.com/features/making-alan-wake

I'll highlight this ;)
As the team built its sandbox prototype, though, it was apparent that something was missing. The freedom to go anywhere robbed the story of its purpose. As any good horror novelist will tell you, the slow creep of dread requires careful pacing. When players can abandon the search for their wife and go off logging instead, it’s hard to maintain the requisite atmosphere.

Matias, CEO of Remedy says thanks to the fans. That's nice.
http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=7943

Dumb question, is the screen supposed to fade to black randomly? Starting to annoy me, it stays for a maybe a sec or two, then fades back.

I find...

Unofficial support for running the game in lower resolutions than 1024x768 using command line options

Interesting. That seems to possibly indicate a lot of people playing Alan Wake attempting to do so on low end video cards (budget/integrated). Then again, would people on low end video cards even know about the new command line options? Or even what a command line option is?

Regards,
SB

I find...

Interesting. That seems to possibly indicate a lot of people playing Alan Wake attempting to do so on low end video cards (budget/integrated). Then again, would people on low end video cards even know about the new command line options? Or even what a command line option is?

Regards,
SB

I don't know exactly why they did it, but custom resolutions are really handy for something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJIYmYlh38Y

When the PC version was (re) announced I said I'd only pick it up for 10 euros but I'm seriously considering picking up the collector's edition which costs 21 euros over here with the current sale. I'm liking how well Remedy can eat crow and American Nightmare being an XBOX exclusive nonwithstanding (probably part of the original Alan Wake publishing deal) it's looking likely Remedy's next game will see a near simultaneous PC release.

Anyone want to talk me out of it? I won't be able to play it for at least two months (have L.A. Noire waiting first) so do you think the price will drop before I get around to it? Is the game too short for 20 euros? Thanks in advance.

How much time do you spend playing the scenery? :p It is quite beautiful afterall if you've got the GPU horsepower. ;)

I tried the game on my old 8800GT at work. It runs ok on medium quality but yeah this game is pretty demanding. It's probably not far off of Crysis.

I tried the game on my old 8800GT at work. It runs ok on medium quality but yeah this game is pretty demanding. It's probably not far off of Crysis.

It'd be interesting to see how it performs at console settings. with the new patch its even possible to replicate the super low resolution of the console version!

It'd be interesting to see how it performs at console settings. with the new patch its even possible to replicate the super low resolution of the console version!
I'm sure the 8800GT would rock the console settings because straight medium quality at 1680x1050 is already quite smooth. I imagine 60 fps no problem.

American Nightmare being an XBOX exclusive nonwithstanding (probably part of the original Alan Wake publishing deal)
Seems you are wrong on both counts there. I played the demo for American Nightmare last night, and almost bought it, but after Googling up that Eurogamer article I decided to hold out for the PC version.

As for your plan to buy the PC version, I'd say its worth the price.

It looks like the patch has fixed the NVflicker trees along with the weird memory-leak-like intense slowdown I was seeing after a time on both 560 Ti and 8800GT.

Seems you are wrong on both counts there. I played the demo for American Nightmare last night, and almost bought it, but after Googling up that Eurogamer article I decided to hold out for the PC version.

GTK, thanks. Not surprised Microsoft is still trying to get devs to skip the PC version even if for a limited time.

Back