Alan Wake: Microsoft preparing to leave PC gamers behind (again)

hm... what issue? lol Didn't see it....

Yeah, not surprised if the shadows cause problems.... the large open expanse is kind of the nightmare of shadowing if you think about it.

hm... what issue? lol Didn't see it....

Yeah, not surprised if the shadows cause problems.... the large open expanse is kind of the nightmare of shadowing if you think about it.

Watch the outline of the trees and shrubs. It flashes different luminosities. In the video I think you could confuse it with compression artifacts but it's very obvious in practice, like a texture layer is coming and going. It goes away on low detail but I didn't test every individual setting manually.

I saw something similar in Crysis 2 the other day actually, again on my 560.

Forcing vsync through D3DOverrider fixes the flickering foliage. I've not clue why that works, but it does.

Bought Alan Wake last night, enjoying it quite a bit so far (on mission 2). Wish the level design was less linear though. Not getting the flickering foliage issue though, or else my aged eyes aren't noticing it.

yeah i need a better camera any recommendations? :smile:

seriously though, i think it is shadows causing the flickers.. I've tried every single settings on/off and it appears only when shadows is set medium/high.. low/off is safe.. it's no deal breaker since it happens only at certain angles.. FW 295.51..

If you turn vysnc on either in game or an outside app like NvidiaInspector, D3Doverride, the flickering goes away.

If you turn vysnc on either in game or an outside app like NvidiaInspector, D3Doverride, the flickering goes away.

It was capped 35 FPS via inspector and vsync on in game.. I live with it though, as i said it happens only at certain angles and i havent seen it at night

Indeed.
Sad that they changed the way they rendered the trees and foliage though, A2C would have looked better than FXAA.

Found this screenshot over at gaf
http://h9.abload.de/img/alanwake.exe_2012-02-t4xau.png

Anyways, A2C looks present here. Maybe it's less noticeable in other conditions or maybe only on certain foliage?

--------

Anyone have an idea how they're doing proper MSAA? Are they using a light pre-pass kind of setup?

I go forth primarily to find more of the wacky in-game TV and radio shows. This game is so "Max Payne Does the Wilderness". ;) Also reminiscent of RE4/5.

So, AMD aren't the only ones with problem drivers during the launch of a new game. :) Glad to see them working on it though.

Regards,
SB

I think the complaining is due to that being a pattern with AMD. if it was a once in a while occurrence, then it'd be no big deal. In a complex piece of software like drivers, there will be bugs.

Anyway, I am looking forward to picking this game up. I hope that it will go down in price soon.

Such is the cursed fate of a poor gamer. ;)

Episode 4 is definitely my fav so far, loved the farm stage. Just started 5 and checked my stats. 193 pistol kills, 72 shotgun kills, 388 dead birds, 40 thermos found, 59 manuscript pages, etc.

"Alan Wake PC makes money back in 48 hours"

Link

Good news, Should meen they consider releasing for PC in the first place as sales have been good.

Although with this being more then just a crappy port helped as I don't think it would of sold very well if it didn't have decent anti-aliasing support and other little improvements.

Nice to see it's doing good(extra nice with it being from a nordic studio)

I wonder how much it helped that it had a lower retail price than other games usually have

Back