Alan Wake: Microsoft preparing to leave PC gamers behind (again)

The simple fact of the matter is, you have no right to tell anyone who produces something how much it should or shouldn't cost. As a consumer, the real power you have is choose not to buy something to protest it's cost.

Good idea. We don't like price of the music, so we don't buy the CDs. CD sales fall. The music industry's reaction to falling sales is ...

a) cut prices
b) blame pirates

???

Jack_Tripper, you do know that people who download illegaly music actually buy a lot more albums legimately too, than average persons, right?
Having lower prices could encourage them to download less and buy even more easily, and I'm quite positive this actually applies to movies and games too, not just music

You're going to have to show me some data that supports this...I've heard it before, but it's all very anecdotal and there's no data to support it

Jack

Good idea. We don't like price of the music, so we don't buy the CDs. CD sales fall. The music industry's reaction to falling sales is ...

a) cut prices
b) blame pirates

???

And that still doesn't justify stealing anything. The music industry is going to do whatever it needs to shift blame off themselves, that's just business. There is no justification for stealing anything

Jack

As a dev, I'd rather sell 100000 copies for $20 each than 5000 copies for $50 each (while haveing it pirated to no end in the latter case). Go figure.

Do you honestly believe that games like Mirrors Edge or Dead Space would sell more than 20 million copies for 20 Bucks?

Mirrors Edge is now at $20. If it was just too expensive for all these people before we should have seen a bombastic jump in sells after the price cut, right? But this hasn’t happen. What’s up with these 19 million people out there that you believe are willing to buy it for $20 but not for $50? Have they bought a used version? In this case every copy should be already sold 20 times or always in less than 10 days. This would be quite fast. Have they already pirated it? In this case the pirating problem is really a serious one.

Edit:

Doesn’t everybody knows that Valve doing such crazy weekend sales on a regularly base? If you are not totally crazy and “need” to play a Steam game right now just wait a little bit to get it cheaper. Without absolute numbers this can be read although in this way. The crazy weekend sales just cannibalized the regularly full price sales on Steam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm talking about the consumers, see above. Consumers are obviously buying games at that price point without bothering to pirate them, while way less people will buy a $50+ game. Talking about myself, I seldomly ever buy a new release in retail although I have enough money - I just see no justification for such pricings.

As a dev, I'd rather sell 100000 copies for $20 each than 5000 copies for $50 each (while haveing it pirated to no end in the latter case). Go figure.

Same goes for music, a CD should not cost more than $5. And even that would be enough to be profitable. Trying to offset low sales by totally ridiculous prices is the main cause for piracy.

Some do. As I said however, I know many people that claim they would buy games if they were cheaper.

However, when presented with a game costing only 5 USD. They would still rather pirate it than buy it.

Pirating on PC is far worse than people with their heads in the ground would like to believe.

Regards,
SB

Not surprising and common practice for most businesses. Once you recoup the initial R&D/Developement and production costs, you can reduce price to hopefully see another surge in sales. At that point other than production costs it's almost pure profit.

And if a title doesn't appear on track to recoup dev costs you can still cut the cost in an attempt to recover as much as you can. But at this point, it's quite likely you won't be able to. This happened with some of Interplay/Black Isle's better titles before they went under.

The problem is first recovering your initial developement costs.

Regards,
SB

Bad to worst: it seems the PC version of Alan Wake is actually at risk!

I'm guessing if they are wondering if the addition costs and time to port to PC would be worth the gamble that the game would sell enough even with piracy to make it worthwhile.

Especially if they could take that time and money and instead devote it to their next title and start developement on that right away with a much better chance of getting much more ROI on their next title on console.

Regards,
SB

And that still doesn't justify stealing anything. The music industry is going to do whatever it needs to shift blame off themselves, that's just business. There is no justification for stealing anything

I didn't say it was a justification for stealing.

What I said was that normal market forces, the normal "negotiation" between the buyer and the seller over the price of a product, don't appear to working properly in the music industry (nor the movie industry while we're on the subject).

I didn't say it was a justification for stealing.

What I said was that normal market forces, the normal "negotiation" between the buyer and the seller over the price of a product, don't appear to working properly in the music industry (nor the movie industry while we're on the subject).

Sorry, that's not what I meant, I wasn't pointing fingers and saying "You were saying that" I just meant that no one is going to convince me that piracy, in any form, is helping the process. We're really getting off the whole Alan Wake point here, but it does concern me that common mentality is "there's nothing else we can do but steal it"

Jack

Bad to worst: it seems the PC version of Alan Wake is actually at risk!

It will be a serious piss take if they don't bring it to the PC. From the makers of Max Payne, originally promised for the PC and actually used as a technical showcase for PC technology.

If its not brought to the PC it will be the biggest betrayal of PC gamers by a games dev to date. I think on principle I would boycott Max Payne 3 in response, regardless of what platforms its on.

And no way I will buy Alan Wake on my 360.

If its not brought to the PC it will be the biggest betrayal of PC gamers by a games dev to date. I think on principle I would boycott Max Payne 3 in response, regardless of what platforms its on.

AFAIK Max Payne 3 will have nothing to do with Remedy or Microsoft. It'll probably still be released first for consoles, since it is a Rockstar game, and given GTA4's shoddy port I think not giving them any more money for PC games isn't unreasonable.

Well there is no porting job work for PC version as the engine and Alan Wake runs well on PC as evident by 2005 x1900 showcase. And some year(s) later Intel Quad-Core showcase with tornado physics demo while it also rendered all the surroundings.

IMO it's crystal clear that MS as the publisher snatched it to 360 exclusively as a seller point for 360 (assuming PC version is completly ditched). Remedy has no other option but to bend over for MS. Otherwise foolish move as the PC versions is practically free work at this point.

The simple fact of the matter is, you have no right to tell anyone who produces something how much it should or shouldn't cost.

Certainly you are correct.

As a consumer, the real power you have is choose not to buy something to protest it's cost. The problem is, the microwave dinner, MTV watching pre-apocalyptic generation has absolutely no respect for this and thinks they're entitled to anything they want just beause they want it.

Reality is that they are one and the same. If people perceive that the cost of the item outweighs the benefit and the detriment to the unlawful copying does not outweigh the benefit then they reach the reasonable conclusion that unlawful copying is a valid method to protest unreasonable prices.

The thing people always forget is that laws are almost always consensual in reality. Enforcement of laws has minimal effects on actual actions concerning those who the law effects. I'm sure it was unlawful to slaughter the french royalty, but it didn't protect them.

The mentality should be - I protest the price - so I won't give you my money...but they lack the resolve of their convictions and want whatever it was anyway...and then not have to pay for it.

but does it make sense to fight against the mentality or to work with it?

This isn't protest...this isn't a stand against some company because it's charging unfair pricing...it's outright theft,

actually, it isn't theft. It is unlawful copying. If we want to have a discussion on this topic we should use the real terms.

The reality is, they steal because they fancy themselves Robin Hood - where in reality, they're only driving up development costs and end-user pricing for everyone else.

this assumes a reality that does not exist. It assumes that the unlawful copying actually converted a sale into a loss of a sale. This is far fetched in the extreme. If you actually study the culture of unlawful copying you would find that this is as far from the truth as possible, esp among the elements of the more packrat set among the culture.

And your answer to that is for the publisher to lower it's price? I think not.

A rational answer would be to lower prices and ease methods of distribution. Then again, another rational response would be to do nothing or even raise prices. It all depends on what the actual viable conversion price point is between unlawful copying and sales vs the maximal profit point on the unlawful copying vs sales curve is.

Do you honestly believe that games like Mirrors Edge or Dead Space would sell more than 20 million copies for 20 Bucks?

no they weren't that good of games nor did they have the marketing to reach that point.

Mirrors Edge is now at $20. If it was just too expensive for all these people before we should have seen a bombastic jump in sells after the price cut, right? But this hasn’t happen.

It is also old. It missed its time window to significantly increase sales based on pricing. If it released at $20 then a lot more people would of probably bought it instead of pirating it.

Back