Castlevania 'next generation'

assurdum

Veteran
Castlevania 'Lords of shadow'

I have a lot of questions to be honest. After the beautiful trailer seen at E3 I have noticed an impressive engine: Which is it? In which platform ? Anyone knows something? I need more info, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a lot of questions to be honest. After the beautiful trailer seen at E3 I have noticed an impressive engine: Which is it? In which platform ? Anyone knows something? I need more info, please.

The engine is probably a derivative, evolution, of the one used in Clive Barker's Jericho. Same devs, and there are some visual similarities if one looks carefully. Not a bad choice, given the fact that engine was quite capable.

The engine is probably a derivative, evolution, of the one used in Clive Barker's Jericho. Same devs, and there are some visual similarities if one looks carefully. Not a bad choice, given the fact that engine was quite capable.

I hope not mean same resolution on the ps3 :cry:

I just hope the product will at least show a semblance of Castlevania when it's done. Technically it does look very good, but I'm a little sad that Konami doesn't have the balls to do a proper 2d Castlevania with gorgeous HD sprites. Not a single classic Castlevania enemy to be seen in the trailer either (and the boss looks just dull compared to the often outrageous designs you can find in the 2d games) and run of the mill orchestration instead of the good old catchy Castlevania tunes. Looks like Steven Summer's Van Helsing done with the God of War gameplay engine, but not like Castlevania.

Hopefully Igarashi isn't pulled from the franchise entirely and continues with the awesome DS games.

I hope not mean same resolution on the ps3 :cry:

Has anyone actually established the resolution of the 360 version? I know the PS3 version is supposedly sub HD, but the demos look exactly the same. I switched back and forth between the two video channels on my tv and there's really no difference at all (aside from slightly different colors and a slightly choppier framerate on the PS3 side of things)

The Eurogamer comparison shots look nearly identical as well.

I enjoyed Jericho on PS3 alot, didn't think it was sub-hd till the comparison showed up though I really wish Castlevania or any sequels would be proper 720p this time.

Has anyone actually established the resolution of the 360 version? I know the PS3 version is supposedly sub HD, but the demos look exactly the same. I switched back and forth between the two video channels on my tv and there's really no difference at all (aside from slightly different colors and a slightly choppier framerate on the PS3 side of things)

The Eurogamer comparison shots look nearly identical as well.

The eurogamer face off said ps3 version less resolution compared to 360; however to the screen is very hard to see difference between the platform...maybe good upscaling on the ps3...

I just hope the product will at least show a semblance of Castlevania when it's done. Technically it does look very good, but I'm a little sad that Konami doesn't have the balls to do a proper 2d Castlevania with gorgeous HD sprites. Not a single classic Castlevania enemy to be seen in the trailer either (and the boss looks just dull compared to the often outrageous designs you can find in the 2d games) and run of the mill orchestration instead of the good old catchy Castlevania tunes. Looks like Steven Summer's Van Helsing done with the God of War gameplay engine, but not like Castlevania.

Hopefully Igarashi isn't pulled from the franchise entirely and continues with the awesome DS games.

Thank you! Looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't see Castlevania from the trailer. This looks nothing like Castlevania and could have been some other game. There doesn't appear to be any platforming either.

The resolution list thread says:
Jericho (demo) = 996x560 (2x AA)

I know, but the 360 version is nowhere to be found in the list. That's why I thought that maybe someone went to town and started pixel counting on the PS3 version while simply assuming the 360 version ran at full 720p like usual.

The difference between 1280x720 and 996x560 is almost Ghostbusters caliber, but when you compare the screen shots it's more of a matter of whether you prefer a minuscule increase in sharpness in one version or less aliasing in the other. The differences on an actual tv that doesn't support 1:1 pixel mapping is even less apparent.
Honestly, the two versions resemble each other so closely that no one in their right mind should give a rat's ass.

As for Castlevania: I think it simply isn't the best idea to turn the thing into a "realistic" and - judging from the trailer - dead serious action game in God of War fashion.
Conceptually Castlevania was always a totally over the top and goofy monster mash fest where every critter regardless of literary origin came together in one big place for you to dispatch. One minute you fight a mummy on top of a clock tower, then you are pitted against Frankenstein's Monster, the Wolfman and a witch on a flying broom (and she turns into a cat when you defeat her too!) simultaneously, and before you know it, Dracula and Death himself (who is a servant of Dracula's) team up against you.

Thank you! Looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't see Castlevania from the trailer. This looks nothing like Castlevania and could have been some other game. There doesn't appear to be any platforming either.

In fact the development started before the devs got the deal with Konami. I checked the Mercury Steam site a few months ago to check what had become of them and the game was just called Lord of shadow.
So Konami made it a castlevania, I think they did a similar thing with Silent Hill 4 ?

I think it's even more complex than that. Lords of Shadow was announced at GC 2008. Castlevania for PS360 was announced during TGS 2008. IGA was involved with the latter.

Fast-forward to E3 2009, there's no sign of IGA's Castlevania and instead Lords of Shadow was renamed Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

Well, as long as they just send him back directing more handheld Castlevanias that's fine with me. I pretty much bought a DS Lite for CV.

Well, as long as they just send him back directing more handheld Castlevanias that's fine with me. I pretty much bought a DS Lite for CV.

I'm pretty sure that IGA will be kept on 2d CVs. Probably 'til the day he dies since his 3d CVs were so poorly received.

I think Mercury Steam did a great job for a 1st time early PS3 outing. Differences I can hardly see with my eyes don't bother me.

I know, but the 360 version is nowhere to be found in the list. That's why I thought that maybe someone went to town and started pixel counting on the PS3 version while simply assuming the 360 version ran at full 720p like usual.

The difference between 1280x720 and 996x560 is almost Ghostbusters caliber, but when you compare the screen shots it's more of a matter of whether you prefer a minuscule increase in sharpness in one version or less aliasing in the other. The differences on an actual tv that doesn't support 1:1 pixel mapping is even less apparent.
Honestly, the two versions resemble each other so closely that no one in their right mind should give a rat's ass.

Yeah, honestly me too don't see great difference how seen in ghostbuster...but the reason is the same of GT comparison: the screen in eurogamer comparison is 996x560p.

But wasn't this because Jericho was an awfully muddy-looking game to begin with? I only saw the 360 demo at the time.

But wasn't this because Jericho was an awfully muddy-looking game to begin with? I only saw the 360 demo at the time.
Surely it wasn't the state of art graphically (although there were good things) but I don't know if is that the reason.

Back