[360, PS3] Need For Speed: Shift

Thanks for those vids, this game is now back off the radar.

The handling looks just as unrealistic as previous games making this one to avoid as far as I'm concerned.

A rubbish player would show up the handling more than a skilled player as they would be all over the shop.

Roll on Criterions Need for Speed "reimagining".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully there's a demo.

Speaking of physics engines, will this game's physics be more in line with GRID, Forza/GT, or GTR2?
IB: You can't really compare SHIFT's physics to any of those games. The physics are tuned for realistic behavior on top of the most advanced simulation engine in this generation. We'd rather have you play SHIFT and tell us how it feels. We're confident that we'll be seen as the most accomplished racer of the current generation when the demo is released.

http://www.drivingitalia.net/articoli.php?sez=software&id=93

Kikizo: With all of this activity on screen what frame rate are you expecting to achieve?

[Jesse Abney, SHIFT producer]: Well this is a multi-threaded application and absolutely there are compromises that you have to make to retain a solid state system, there's a whole series of trade offs for performance, and the render thread's running at 30 frames. Whereas the physics and AI threads are running at a full 120hz, so what that you get a very smooth and silky performance attribute in rendering, and a much needed processing route. Again it's a series of compromises, 16 cars on the track fully modeled, fully damaged, fully physically affected which all present a challenge to a render thread, so you really have to compromise, as you see today we don't feel 30fps has an impact on the experience, we're running very fluidly and I think those elements are not mutually exclusive to the 30-frames-to-60-frames argument.

Kikizo: What can we expect in terms of car tuning? Many arcade players can't be bothered with that but some fans are going to thrive on it?

Jesse: It's something that our fan base really looks forward to, and you get performance tuning in a deeper and far more complex way than we've ever done with NFS, thanks to the enthusiasm of SMS. So not only is their engine pushing times of day but it’s also pushing weather effects which then affect the surface conditions, requiring that you use a bit more strategy in things like tyres, pressure, aero, down force, suspension and all around general tunes on your car. While we understand that this is a simulation fan's big interest, we also understand about accessibility; I'm an example of someone who's an arcade racer, and we are giving somebody who wouldn't normally care about the pressure in their tyres the ability to just say "I need a different set-up and here's the button, click to get it". So there's a spectrum of accessibility options that we're bringing for much deeper and more comprehensive.

Source: Kikizo

I like how they downplay 60fps importance in racing games by throwing 120Hz physics refresh rate in our face! :p

I like how they downplay 60fps importance in racing games by throwing 120Hz physics refresh rate in our face! :p

True, but I would still rather have a game that looks twice as good running at a smooth 30fps than sacraficing graphics for 60fps.

Plus PC gamers can get 60fps anyway so much better to have the better base graphics regardless of framerate in the console versions.

What a pitty. I was actually willing to give this a go, but after playing racing games such as GT5p or WipEout HD at full blown 60 fps, I don't think this will match up favourably.

Edit: I've been living a bit under a rock lately, but is Shift from the Burnout Team or not? If it is, I'd find it hugely disappointing, since 60 fps was a priority in the old days for them.

True, but I would still rather have a game that looks twice as good running at a smooth 30fps than sacraficing graphics for 60fps.

Plus PC gamers can get 60fps anyway so much better to have the better base graphics regardless of framerate in the console versions.
For racing games, I disagree.

Interview: Slightly Mad Studios (Need for Speed: Shift)
http://noaddedsugar.ie/?p=421
Mark: You mentioned earlier Patrick Soderlund from EA Europe. He said recently that developers have ‘maxed out’ the Xbox 360 in terms of graphical achievement, but not the PlayStation 3.

Suzy: Oh did he? (Laughs)

Mark: Yeah, he did. So my question to you is a double one- firstly, do you feel that you’ve maxed out the Xbox 360, and secondly, after the heavy criticism of the previous Need for Speed title’s PlayStation 3 conversion, will there be parity between the two versions?

Suzy: Yes- it’s critical to us that the the game plays the same on all platforms. The art assets we use is shared over all platforms, including the PC. It’s absolutely critical that you don’t play on one platform and have a poorer experience. But yeah, the PS3 can be quite trick to develop for, actually. There’s more common ground between the PC and the 360. The PS3 is quite different. Our background is obviously in PC titles so the change to PS3 development is a challenge. It’s not like we’ve just ported it over and hoping it’ll all work- we’ve got dedicated guys working on each platform, and they’re all making sure that the experience is the same. We sit there with the game on both consoles on screens, side by side, to make sure they look the same. It’s not acceptable to have a lower performance on PS3.

Suzy also confirmed to me that a demo would be made available prior to the game’s release in September.

Last edited by a moderator:

Two completely different things.

Physics needs high refresh rates in racing games because it needs to model the movement of the cars etc, regardless of what the framerate the game is. While people can argue about the gains\cons with 60vs30fps (imo this game looks worse than GT5\FM3, so in this case its only cons), physics are different, aspecially for anything that is going to move fast.

A car moving at 200km\h equals 55,5 metres per second. 120 hz physics refresh rate means that the Cars movement etc is only updated once every 27,7 metres. This inpacts how the car reacts to your input, and how accurately can model what happends.

Forza 2's physics ran 360 refreshes per second, 120hz is nothing to brag about. Im sure GT5 uses a very high number as well.

If the car travels 55 meters a second and your calculating physics 120 times per seond then your making a new physics calculation every half a meter or so.

Back