Learning to drive

Is that an E46 M54?!? That's MY car! :D
Yup, but you don't quite have the same oomph, and the coupe looks pretty slick :p

I got the same thing with gas mileage. On the highway I can get in excess of 30mpg, but screwing around town I can get as little as 10mpg. (But I do drive like an idiot)
Okay, thanks. My city driving often averages little over 10mph whereas the EPA city test is 20mph, so I guess it's normal, which is what I suspected.

The steptronic annoys me as it's waaaay too slow, but it's nice to use to downshift for cops and such. ;)
So you couldn't find a stick either? :cry: Anyway, I don't mind the lag too much, as I still have control but just need a little foresight to make the change when I want. Interference by the computer feels pretty minimal, as it'll let me go a bit beyond redline.

Downshifting for cops? You mean because you can slow down without the tail lights indicating how fast you really went, or something else? It seems I have much to learn...

EDITED BITS: Mine was $7,500 last year, a very good deal.
Interesting. Maybe the economy didn't play as large a role as I expected, as that's not much more than what I saw for 325 sedans. I was always under the impression that BMWs hold their value pretty well and this was a freak market condition, but I guess I was mistaken. Good for us though :cool:

Downshifting for cops? You mean because you can slow down without the tail lights indicating how fast you really went, or something else? It seems I have much to learn...
Yeah, exactly. Instead of hitting the breaks I kick the shifter over and step down two quickly, then wait until after the delay and the car slows down rather nicely.

Oddly enough our Murano does the same trick even though its got a CVT. It has a regular/overdrive setting on the shifter and if you kick it to overdrive it's just like dropping down a gear and the car slows down without the break lights going on. (Weirdly the shifter kicks the opposite way as the BMWs does, same thing with the wiper controls. :LOL: )

Interesting. Maybe the economy didn't play as large a role as I expected, as that's not much more than what I saw for 325 sedans. I was always under the impression that BMWs hold their value pretty well and this was a freak market condition, but I guess I was mistaken. Good for us though :cool:
Well mine I had to hunt down pretty hard and it needed new breaks when I got it, but we did buy it from a BMW dealer that gives free weekly car washes for life so it's pretty cool/odd for me.

Ooodles of fun to play with, it's the first car I've owned in a while that I've done my own work on and I forgot how much fun it can be. :)

What'd you find you like on that Clio Rys? I'm actually quite jealous, I love them lil fastbacks. (I was looking at a Mazda Speed3 before getting the BMW)

What'd you find you like on that Clio Rys? I'm actually quite jealous, I love them lil fastbacks. (I was looking at a Mazda Speed3 before getting the BMW)
Driving wise, for me it's a combination of the lack of weight and the mechanical grip. It could do with some new rear tyres in a couple of thousand miles, so I've not leaned on that too heavily yet, but you really can take corners with some serious speed, and the front end just bites and drags you round.

It's a trait that Renault have engineered in to all the Renaultsport models (including the Megane and the Clio V6s, although different on the V6s because the weight is at the rear) pretty much since the Williams Clios. Light weight helps make that happen (I guess because there's not much weight over the rear), and it has other benefits with the economy and how easy it is on the tyres.

Add in the big engine (for the size of the car) and you've got something that's a lot of fun! There are other little things that attracted me to the particular car (other stuff on my list when I was choosing included Peugeot 205 GTIs and a couple of Focus ST170s), like ABS, half leather and A/C (none of those things on the Cup model), but the overriding things I want from any car are light weight, lots of mechanical grip, and a reasonably healthy engine :D

Yeah, exactly. Instead of hitting the breaks I kick the shifter over and step down two quickly, then wait until after the delay and the car slows down rather nicely.

I always do this in racing games as well, like Gran Turismo - shifting down from say 5 through 2 improves your brake distance slightly.

That depends on the engine/gearbox. Some automatics and even sequentials (talk about ridiculing the name) do that already, skipping several gears up or down is a nice way to make shifting faster.

So you couldn't find a stick either? :cry: Anyway, I don't mind the lag too much, as I still have control but just need a little foresight to make the change when I want. Interference by the computer feels pretty minimal, as it'll let me go a bit beyond redline.

Whilst my 328i SE is a little older (1999) it is manual :)

CC

Dropping three gears down can't be good for the engine/clutch in real life though.

Cheers

I didn't say ' to' though, I said 'through'! I keep the rpms high while slowing down because without accelleration that keeps the friction on the engine higher (at least I think that's how it works, maybe there's also slowdown from the clutch and the flywheel being out of sync when they connect, not sure on the mechanics)

In real life I'd shift as late as possible and then go straight from 5 to 2 once I've slowed down enough (which would usually be due to not accellerating for a fair while rather than braking)

I'd rather have a two year older car that's manual, you lucky dog!

One thing though, I do like my cars all wheel drive. We have these weird things in my neck of the woods we have to deal with once a year called "winter".... :p

Glad to hear you don't jump from 5th to 2nd Arwin, that is a bit hard on the engine. ;)

The sad thing is that eventually saw an ad for a stick, but it was a few days after I already put down my deposit. Anyway, no regrets. That one had slightly unattractive 18" wheels too, which I found were too noisy and harsh in a previous test drive.

You'd all love the engine breaking on a diesel. I was driving a BX turbodiesel a good while ago, sometimes shifting down and leaving your feet out would bring it to a stand still. that car was 20 year old and did 45 mpg by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blazkowitz: you mean Citroen BX? You seriously call that a "car"? :p

Fun aside, I still love their hydraulic suspension. Even nowadays it rocks.

Simon F: pretty much every modern automatic has a manual mode with up/down buttons on the steering wheel Formula1-style (WAY cooler than a shifter), but besides that most modern automatics are faster 0-100 and consume less fuel than a similar shifter.

I'd rather have a two year older car that's manual, you lucky dog!

One thing though, I do like my cars all wheel drive. We have these weird things in my neck of the woods we have to deal with once a year called "winter".... :p

Glad to hear you don't jump from 5th to 2nd Arwin, that is a bit hard on the engine. ;)

We had a bit of snow at the beginning of this year and the car magically turned into a tea-tray. Managed to spin even whilst driving slowly in a straight line didn't touch the brakes or accelerator, the car had just decided it would rather be pointing in a different direction. Luckily there was nothing else on the road, the complete loss of control was quite exciting! In a scary way.

CC

My car is a blast in winter. If I take it easy it has great control, but if I want to I can punch it hard and lose all traction. :) (I have summer tires on year round, and what's wrong with 18" wheels? :p )

Yeah, the new rubber wasn't cheap but it helped the ride out tremendously. :)

I'm having a blast being able to do my own work on my car for a change, this is the first one my wife has let me play with...and I'm REALLY enjoying playing with it. :D

Back